Is PK now working for Jetbeam?

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if PK is now working with Jetbeam or has Jetbeam been looking at my pic's of the Beast photo-type?
What do you think they look very similar right?

New Jetbeam M37
m37-black-2_2.jpg

New Jetbeam M64
jetbeam-m64-inset-1.jpg

Surefire Beast proto-type
BEAST Proto 800x.jpg

BEAST proto type & C2 800x.jpg

BEAST Proto side x800.jpg

later
Rat

Pöbel

Enlightened
Jetbeam seems to like Surefire Designs

this came out in 2008 or 2009
Jetbeam M1x with Cree MC-E, initially 400 Lumens and 21kcd
m1x2.jpg

they kinda diffused the M3 lookalike a bit with adding cutouts to the rear cooling fins with the second run though, they also boosted the output to around 800 lumens if I remember correctly

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to be fair those concepts aren't valid in Communist countries. That reminds me of one of the virus writers from Sofia Bulgaria that justified data destruction because there wasn't laws there against it there.

All jokes aside with intellectual property and patents it stifles innovation. Perhaps they found a way to make it work better? Surefire is still free to use their own design and can claim they are the original product. Companies should build quality products and not hide behind patents to protect their profits.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Research and development to invent a "better mousetrap", "widget" or whatever you want to call a product, is not cheap. Why should US companies invest money in R&D, bring a new, improved product to market, and then another foreign company gets a hold of one, reverse engineers it, copies it and undercuts the US company, and steals the market along with the profit, why should a US company bother? What is in it for the genius that actually invents a better product, if their idea is stolen from them, along with the profit from it? No, NOT enforcing patents and copyrights is what stifles innovation. If people cannot profit from their efforts, then they will simply stop inventing, innovating, and producing. Capitalism works, and is the only system that creates real wealth, and can lift people out of poverty.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
One could think this but if you take a look at Rolex, which is the most knocked off product on the planet, you would see they do fine. People seek out the real thing and they stay in business decade after decade. Even reputable brands make watches in the style of Rolex and it doesn't hurt anyone.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no doubt the design cues were taken from Surefire, but this has been going on for the longest time. I guess JetBeam thought enough time has passed that they can take the styling cues of the protos and use them without stirring the pot too much with SureFire.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Customs and Border Protection is tasked with keeping these knockoffs out of the country, but they do not have the capability to search every inter modal shipping container imported into the US. I don't know the laws pertaining to intellectual theft, but I would hope that the sale of these knockoffs is illegal, and is vigorously enforced by Law Enforcement and the judicial/correctional system.

Last edited:

importculture

Newly Enlightened
That is an interesting idea. I hope PK is still involved in flashlights in some capacity. I really love the four flats design and haven't seen any mainstream lights making use of the design. I saw these on batteryjunction but they seem to have only one output level and can only function on rechargeables. So i put these on my future buy list.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the purpose of the Beast?
Designed for search & rescue. I handled one in Craig Shih collection. The original ran 20ea 123a batteries. 2000+ lms sucked the batts dry fast. The flashlight weighs about 5lbs. Even with a sling it would be a chore lugging it around.
Very cool conversation piece, plus it makes a great door stop.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also so not like companies copying designs. But the General Problem is, if the Design is not protected than there is no way to get it at customs during import.

Most Designs are not protected due to several reasons, one readons is that this design protection costs Money like it is for a patent.

LowFlux

Enlightened
Jetbeam has a history of ignoring intellectual property:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the similarities to old Surefires with new Jetbeam lights recently in another thread I posted a bit back.. Or maybe it was a post to another thread. But they are probably just copying retro things, but I have no idea about it. I'm sure we'll probably see more of it in the future.

The market is flooded with cool tinted LED lights, and even good quality ones, so you gotta do something different to sell things.