Is there any good SQUARE 10mm mcpcb for Nichia 219 series?

dsche

Newly Enlightened
Title say

Cutter's ones are monstrous

xte10mm.jpg

Because actually they're from old-old-old-time Rebel

MR-5000-105-10S-2T.jpg

Wrong soldering pattern, bad heatsinking etc

Any idea?

BudK

Newly Enlightened
With minimal file application , a round 10 mm mcpcb can fit a square hole .
Unless you really like to file ; then the 20 mm may fit the bill .

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that's just a badly photoshopped image and not what you're actually going to get (I hope). Or did you buy some and find out that they were that bad?

dsche

Newly Enlightened
BudK, thank you for hint! 10mm round from Cutter going with unreasonable small thermal pad but bigger ones may do

Th232, unfortunately it's not a mounting image, it's severe reality

4be1c0809602f_108561b.jpg

BudK

Newly Enlightened
What is your application ? I understand that the Nichia emitter will fit on any xpg mcpcb . Your output requirements will dictate your total thermal solution .

ites

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am about to ready to sell some quantities of such boards. I am in the process of creating "The Bicycle Light" and every part must be ideal or approaching it. Looking at Cutter's 10 mm square boards I realized that that they were much less than ideal ones:
1. they are not convenient to wire in parallel when they are next to each other because of soldering pads;
2. Carclo's 10415 oval optics can be set only in one direction on the board up because only one diagonal has holes;
3. thermal management looks not convincing;
4. they have often LED not exactly in the center causing problems with optics.

I was looking for 10 mm square boards without such shortcomings but I failed. So I decided to design "the ideal 10 mm board" as I understood it.

Here are my board (left) and Cutter's (right):

DSC00464_v1-c.JPG
DSC00460_v1-c.JPG

As you can see, my board can be stacked in any direction to make parallel or series connections, it has no issues with Carclo's 10415 10mm oval optics, it has good soldering mask that means no centering issues and it has definitely better thermal management. My board is made of 2 mm aluminium and Cutter's of 1 mm aluminium.

Here are examples of soldered boards. XP-G R4, Nichia 219.

DSC00465_v1-c.JPG
DSC00468_v1-c.JPG

With optics.

DSC00469_v1-c.JPG

Last edited:

dsche

Newly Enlightened
BudK, I'm searching something to build neutral-tint compact clusters with good thermal management for photo lighting

alfa, thank you for link! According to image – ill-conceived thermal design again, sorry
cree%20xm-l%20t6,%20warmwhite,%20602%20lumen,%20square%20pcb%2010x10mm.jpg

Th232, no more to say. Just :ohgeez:

ites
, exactly I need (and probably better than I need :thinking:)! Great work. Is there any place to buy it?