is this a 6P?

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
Is this just an older 6P with a 6Z tailcap?

074197.jpg

074198.jpg

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think it may be an early model 6P.

I've not seen that finish before and the newer ones do not look quite the same as far as style.

I think the printing on the tail cap looks ligitimate, I think Laser Products was at one time connected with Surefire, but I'm not sure of the exact relationship [supplier would be my guess].

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
FlashlightOCD said:

I think the printing on the tail cap looks ligitimate, I think Laser Products was at one time connected with Surefire, but I'm not sure of the exact relationship [supplier would be my guess].

[/ QUOTE ]

Laser Products was once the Company Name and they were producing flashlights called SureFire...
They have changed their company name to the more commonly known SureFire just *some* (2? 3?) years ago.
Holger

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
The original 6P tailcap had no model designation because it was the only model produced at the time. Note the smooth rubber push button. It shipped in a foam lined clear plastic box and contained line art and basic instructions. I bought this one around 1990 or so.

6P_tailcap.jpg

6P_box.jpg

6P_booklet.jpg

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
holger is correct. that 6P is pretty old, seeing as it doesn't yet have the shallow channels beside the knurled sections that appeared on later 6Ps. the latest incarnation of the 6P has a hex bezel and flat sides milled on the body with "surefire 6P" etched onto them.

it is definitely not a 6Z, as the 6Z has a thinner body with no knurling, in order to accomodate the rubber grip rings that allow it to be held like a syringe.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they are saying is, to my thinking- hang on to that for dear life, it is from the early days of Surefire.Its collector value is good now but even more desirable as time passes.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be a parade-rainer but judging from the history on this board -- the older SureFire stuff does NOT bring very high prices.
Maybe the collectors are hanging out elsewhere.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My OLD 6P has the exact markings as the first photo, except says 6P, instead of 6Z. The knurled sections do not have channels next to them. The button is smooth. No LOTC.

I have the original box, with shipping receipt from Laser Products dated 11/21/94. The box is black, and of a (I think) later date than the RDwilson box. I ordered a spare P60 with the light. I still use the original lamp.

I am on my third set of batteries. Carried a lot, used a little.

Eat your heart out Al. Bet you don't have one this old.

I just checked, and I also have the original box, same configuration as the other light (and spare lamp) for my 9P purchased directly from Laser Products a few months after I acquired the 6P. I felt THE NEED FOR SPEED. No one had these lights back then. I had a ball showing a lot of people what after images looked like.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the look of the 6P that was made just before the latest hex bezel version best. it had a smooth bezel, round body, a LOTC, and channels next to the the knurling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

GJW: i have no idea why, but your post made me laugh for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Mine is identical(!) to the pic, except it says 6R. I bought it as a 6R, removed the extension when the batt died, making it into a 6P. It now sports a different extension and a P91 LA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
In reference the original "Laser Products" company, I recall that they purchased the entire back cover of a law enforcement trade magazine in the mid 1980s. It showed an image of an officer armed with a laser-sighted shotgun. The laser was much larger than our modern laser pointers. As I recall it was nearly as long as the barrel of the scattergun.

The original company evolved into today's Surefire,LLC by manufacturing weapon mounted and hand held lights for military and law enforcement use.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think that the old 6p is a beautiful streamlined work. One of my favorites!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, you guys are really making me feel old!

I called surefire a couple weeks ago and ordered $300 worth of batteries. I got talking to George in Business/Corporate sales and we both decided I was a real flashaholic. I found out how much of an oldtimer I was too, considering how long ago I bought my first 6P.

GregR

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
i like the look of the 6P that was made just before the latest hex bezel version best. it had a smooth bezel, round body...

[/ QUOTE ]

I much prefer my pre-hex 6P and 9P (with retrofitted LOTCs) and will not sell or trade them

Brightnorm

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM-

That's for my company. We issue E2e's to the Emerg Response team members.

GregR

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
i like the look of the 6P that was made just before the latest hex bezel version best. it had a smooth bezel, round body...

[/ QUOTE ]

I much prefer my pre-hex 6P and 9P (with retrofitted LOTCs) and will not sell or trade them

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You guys like the round 6P/9P bezels? I like the hex bezel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup...i think the round bezels have a more classic and elegant look to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif