It's here the Zebralight SC5C MK II H CRI

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my 219C 4000K hi cri and XPL HI 4000k regularly, and noticed that the tint on the Cree is a lot more visible.
It seems true in the pics above as well, the SC5C MK2 adding a color cast to the carpet and the bowl.
Is the presence of the tint the price to pay for high output and high cri from Cree, at least for now?
Awaiting the days of neutral high output, high cri...

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I assume that all of the pictures were taken in raw format and I am sure everyone is looking through a color corrected calibrated monitor.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need a color calibrated monitor to compare the pictures between themselves.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume that all of the pictures were taken in raw format and I am sure everyone is looking through a color corrected calibrated monitor.

Like twistedraven said, not necessary in this case. Pics were stated to have been taken using the same camera settings. The relative appearance of color among the pics matters, not the absolute color accuracy in each pic.

I for one prefer not to gain richer colors at the cost of also adding it where it doesn't belong.

Desdinova

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the pics. I'm still on the fence about the CRI or white. Great pics, BTW.

Swede74

Enlightened

Like twistedraven said, not necessary in this case. Pics were stated to have been taken using the same camera settings. The relative appearance of color among the pics matters, not the absolute color accuracy in each pic.

I for one prefer not to gain richer colors at the cost of also adding it where it doesn't belong.

In the interest of full* disclosure, here is some of the metadata from three of the pictures I posted yesterday.

eta2.png

As you can see, the ISO setting is the same in all instances. As for the White Balance, you will have to take my word for it that I used "Daylight" consistently. Exposure Time / Shutter Speed / Light Value vary quite a bit, but I was unable to or the application on my phone did not allow me to change those settings.

* I am not deliberately withholding data, but I routinely remove metadata from image files before I upload them, in order to protect my anonymity. Some of the extracted data, such as File Creation Date/Time, Orientation, Software, is not presented in the screen capture above. In an effort to save time, I only provide metadata from 3/5 of the pictures I posted yesterday.

Swede74

Enlightened
Thank you for the pics. I'm still on the fence about the CRI or white. Great pics, BTW.

You are welcome. Subjectively, I would say that out of my seven Zebralights (SC51, H502, SC52, SC600, SC600w II, H32w and SC5c II, the SC5c II does render colours more accurately than the other ones. I will likely be my go-to light when I want to illuminate bowls of fruit and vegetables.

It leaves something to be desired for the white wall hunter though; the hotspot and the spill look good, but the transition between the hotspot and the spill is not as smooth as, for instance, the beam pattern produced by my H32w. The SC5c has a more pronounced yellow ring around the hotspot than the H32w. This is not a problem (for me) in real-world use.

Last edited:

Enlightened
All of those except the sunlight picture look disgusting. High CRI or not, those warm CCT look bad. Bring on the high CRI 5700K Nichia emitters.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that they're all white balanced to sunlight, which means they will all be subjectively warmer on the pictures than what your adjusted eyes will see at night.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of those except the sunlight picture look disgusting. High CRI or not, those warm CCT look bad. Bring on the high CRI 5700K Nichia emitters.

They look fine except the cool white. I think part of what is deceptive is the flashlights have a hotspot and aren't as bright as the direct sunlight. The overall color representation looks fine, outside of the cool white which clearly washes things out. I've also found that cameras can have a hard time capturing flashlight beams vs a natural light source.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that they're all white balanced to sunlight, which means they will all be subjectively warmer on the pictures than what your adjusted eyes will see at night.

Interesting point. Without a reference CCT, in other words in the dark, does our eyes' WB automatically decrease no matter the time of day?

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree (even though I own Zero Mankers) -because I love Z.L.! Anyway, I believe the newest SC5c's "roots" are kinda a hybrid of the old SC80 and the more modern SC600. The knurling, the more bulbis head, was Zebralight's transition to a "tougher" looking light; much different looking than the smooth, smaller headed, (bland looking) SC60.

Witterings

Enlightened
Manker came out with zebralight look a likes a few years ago. They look similar but don't work nearly as well.

What makes you say the Manker ones don't work nearly as well??

I really can't decide between an E11 and SC52w, the E11 I modded with a slightly warmer XP-L Hi ... I often put them back to back and I think I actually prefer the E11 at about 1/2 the cost included the new emitter.

Latest posts