Jamie Hyneman (of Mythbusters) uses Fenix (and Linux)

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Heh - unfortunately Dillon tends to show accessories that are hard to find and acquire. They get featured in the catalog yet you can't get them. Some of them are one of a kind. Wah.

-Steve

Yeah, fine, whatever. I STILL don't see the gun in that pic! :D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people just don't understand this type of humor.
It flies over their head.
I can't imagine that the show translates well to German either.
While it is easy to criticize some of the methods used in the show please don't forget that it is entertainment. It isn't "real" science though they do attempt to replicate the situations as best as they can.
I suspect some jealousy here.
I love the freedom that mythbusters has to use extreme methods to accomplish the REAL GOAL which is to create loud bangs and blow crap up. They do this very well.
Activities of this nature are probably Illegal in Germany.Too bad.
The other thing is we have no idea how much they butcher the show. The German censors could be mangling the show to death. For all we know it is a totally different show in Europe/Germany.
Yaesumofo

The Cree is also binned at 1W! :nana: :aaa:

I think the show is ego-driven, insubstantial and has nothing to do with its title. It is just long-winded and takes forever to arrive at a boring or insignificant conclusion. It is a waste of time. It isn't even funny.

Sorry for the OT rant, but the impulse was stronger than I thought. It has been cooking for quite some time in me it seems.

Bernie

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Actually, there are a bunchaton of things that American censors don't allow that European censors do allow.

I'll give one great case in point - the farting episode. The farting episode was heavily edited and had tons of outtakes. The British and Australian episodes are up on YouTube. Look for "Do Pretty Girls Fart" and you'll find it. It tracked Kari and how many times she passed gas.

-Steve

The other thing is we have no idea how much they butcher the show. The German censors could be mangling the show to death. For all we know it is a totally different show in Europe/Germany.
Yaesumofo

mspeterson

Enlightened
That was not a Cadillac. That was a GMC Yukon that had a Dillon Aero M134D minigun mounted to it in a custom turret.

http://72.215.196.56/sgyee/dillon_q/dillonaeroq_model.jpg

Videos:
http://72.215.196.56/sgyee/dillon_q/dillon_q_car.wmv

Footage of the attached video was shot in the Scottsdale Airpark area where Dillon Precision and Dillon Aero is housed, along with trails north of Scottsdale for some of the helicopter shots.

-Steve

Mythbusters is ok, but would be greatly improved by making this nice young actress the star, and featuring her driving around in that truck shooting at the current cast, while they try and conduct their "tests".....:devil:

Oh, and give her a Surefire Hellfire to go with it! or a tank light!!!:grin2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some people just don't understand this type of humor.
It flies over their head.
I can't imagine that the show translates well to German either.
While it is easy to criticize some of the methods used in the show please don't forget that it is entertainment. It isn't "real" science though they do attempt to replicate the situations as best as they can.
I love the freedom that mythbusters has to use extreme methods to accomplish the REAL GOAL which is to create loud bangs and blow crap up. They do this very well.
Yaesumofo

Understanding is not the problem, liking is. Understanding isn't too difficult, since it is rather dumb. I do not think it is entertaining either.
If they just wanted to "create loud bangs" and "blow crap up", they should do better. If they want to bring across anything else, they utterly fail IMHO.

I do not know if it translates well or how it might be butchered by foreign television channels as I have seen it in English.

Thank you for the analytic interpretation for my motives. I am embarrassed that I can invoke the impression of being jealous of such a show.

One thing I have to admit though ... the freedom of doing all those things is cool. We do not have that here. It's a pity they destroy an interesting concept like that.

bernie

hopkins

Enlightened
I'll have to back the Mythbusters methods as well thought out
entertainment that alot of people watch and say "ya I could rig
that up and test the myth also if I had time, money, and a permit to use
explosives!"

Think thats the real attraction of the show. Normal looking peeps
messing around and not some white smock wearing lab professors in
a clean room carefully turning dials.
The Mythbusters are us. :thumbsup:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Yep, show is junk.. They either blow stuff up, or try to blow stuff up, or shoot something. It's fine for a "I am man, hear me grunt" kind of show I guess.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesumofo

LOL
Well, I can't speak for Germany(well, too some extent, since it isn't much different there than in Sweden), but censoring Mythbusters and jealousy? :)
I'm pretty sure that they can show a lot more stuff here that they can't show in the States (T&A, bad language, violence, religious controvercy etc etc). You're FCC seems to be a lot harsher, I don't even know the name for the equivalent in Sweden, or if we have any. And they show Mythbusters on Discovery here, so I'm very doubtfull that they change anything at all from the american version(except for the british speaker voice).
And it seems like most of the blowing up Mythbusters do are illegal where they are too, since they usually get a lot of permits and stuff before they do anything big. The reason we don't have our own shows like this is probably because of budget. Some british shows have equivalent budget as Mythbusters, like Braniac(a poor copy IMHO allthough they like to blow up stuff) and Top Gear for example. I'm doubting that it's a cultural difference (hell, most of the stuff we watch on TV is from you guys), and more a matter of taste. And nothing wrong in that.

Phaetos

Enlightened
I love Mythbusters, particularly Kari :) But the show is far more fun or interesting than that new one "Smash Lab". That show just blows, even if their budget is seemingly infinite. I saw the first episode where they were to test this crumbling concrete as a car barrier on the highways. One group made a slab of the stuff that was huge, like 40 or 50 yards by 20 yards. Insane. And the show sucked.

meuge

Enlightened
I love Mythbusters, particularly Kari :) But the show is far more fun or interesting than that new one "Smash Lab". That show just blows, even if their budget is seemingly infinite. I saw the first episode where they were to test this crumbling concrete as a car barrier on the highways. One group made a slab of the stuff that was huge, like 40 or 50 yards by 20 yards. Insane. And the show sucked.

My thoughts exactly. I watched it with my girlfriend and I was appalled. There was literally no chemistry AT ALL between the hosts. The dialogue was dull and over-scripted... as were their emotions... and the "experiments" were boring and annoying, regardless of their (truly monstrous) budget. If this is Discovery's way of telling us that they plan to take Mythbusters off the air, I can only stare in awe of their stupidity.

Then again, here's a little Discovery Channel anecdote. In college, I was working in a virology lab, where one of the post-docs was investigating the possibility that the 10k AD extinction was caused by a virus. The Discovery channel did a 30 minute segment about our lab and these studies, as part of a 2-hour special. When I watched the completed product, I was amazed that they literally managed to get EVERYTHING wrong about what we were doing, essentially rendering the segment incomprehensible.

It was almost a year before I could stand to watch Discovery again, after that.

Illum

Flashaholic
Kiessling, lets just say us guys here in the US aren't privileged to have shows that has true humor and solid, to-the-point methods and your so familiar with...but keep in mind the show is based on Myths "submitted" by its watchers...I presume in the US :thinking:

Its a show built on the "thriller" genre...I don't know how you wind up finding humor in it, but hey, don't rate these shows with your high standards, it wouldn't be worth it:D

aside from "Frei Schnauze," "Stromberg", etc thats comparable to the US based "whos line is it anyway" and "the office" I don't know much about German TV shows. perhaps you could do the honor to enlighten us [in a separate thread of course]

Kremer

Enlightened

+100 Mythbusters tries to be a _little_ scientific, but all in good nature it ends up being fun.

That smashlab show they were trying to be completely serious about solving the worlds problems, then they take random (and completely ratarded) guesses at whatever the problem was, get it wrong, adjust the target, and WOW, we stopped a bus!!!! The problem is that the test was to stop a car, which they failed at horribly, and the guy driving the bus actually ended up hitting the brakes to stop. If they have any sort of science or engineering advisors on that show, they need to be fired.
~Dougk

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I love the show ... as mentioned above, it's the chemistry between the hosts that is a large part of its success. :thumbsup:

Scientific method? That would be as much fun (maybe exactly the same as) watching paint dry. Seriously, I am thankful for the engineers and scientists out there doing their serious work ... but I also like these nerdsy characters blunder their way through these amateurish experiments.

What they prove is open to interpretation ... but I sure like to watch them do their thing.

"Smash Lab" is an idea that works on paper ... make a show not unlike "Mythbusters" but have MORE explosions and destruction ... but it fails utterly. Why? No chemistry between the hosts.

Kari = +3 :eek: