Jetbeam RRT0 XML

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Peter, battery safety with this fl has been covered enough on this thread. I would strongly advice you to drive on the safe road I.e. Primaries.

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
It's too bad I came across this thread after I ordered a RRT0. I had high hopes of running rechargeables in the light. :(

I use IMR rechargeable 16340s, they are rated at 4 amps (8C) discharge and handle the light just fine. RCRs suffer above 1.5 amps and this light draws ~2.6 amps on a rechargeable (measured by me with a quality [Fluke] meter).

For those that are curious, I measured ~1.35 amps on CR123 non-rechargeables (the difference is due to the lower voltage driving less current through the circuit).

ThumperACC

Last edited:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Where did you put the leads? Just asking.
How many seconds long did you measured?
IMR are amperage safe but not overdischarge safe.
I want a flashlight to serve me and not the opposite.

Last edited:

qazx

Newly Enlightened
can anyone verify that the runtime on 1AA is the 3hours 45min that jetbeam claim.
if so thats phenomenal for 110lumen output, so im guessing it might be the unregulated runtime.
i would probably buy it for that alone if only it were a bit smaller, but 12cm is too long for an edc AA sized torch.

Last edited:

LeGranDuc

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody.
New on the forum, and recently got into flashlights.
Just got my RRT-0 XML yesterday. A great little light.
I have run it on maximum output for about 2 minutes with no problems.
I really like the maximum output. Tried it at work today with the regular lights off. It blew me away. Sure, it is a floody light, but i like that in a EDC light.
Using unprotected RCR123 880 mah cell's.
If the cell's become a problem after i have used the light for a while, i will have to find alternative ones.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody.
New on the forum, and recently got into flashlights.
Just got my RRT-0 XML yesterday. A great little light.
I have run it on maximum output for about 2 minutes with no problems.
I really like the maximum output. Tried it at work today with the regular lights off. It blew me away. Sure, it is a floody light, but i like that in a EDC light.
Using unprotected RCR123 880 mah cell's.
If the cell's become a problem after i have used the light for a while, i will have to find alternative ones.

I cannot quite share your excitement

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Okay so mine came in, currently doing a runtime on an Eneloop. I have no Li-Ions, I was going to pickup and wait for its arrival before I made the investment into a new chemistry.

Brightness is... about the same as my iTP SA2 on Medium, but it has been running solidly for about 2 hours on max with no noticeable drop in light output (I have NO method to measure this, I rely on ceiling bounce and perceived brightness). Unfortunately this does mean it falls short of its rated 110 lumen rating (SA2 according to selfbuilt is about 60 lumens; and according to others, 25% change in output should be nearly impossible to perceive), but the runtime looks about right SO far. I read that the runtime sits about 2:30 before they turn them off (half brightness?).

Other build notes:
- All threads so far are un-annodized.
- No flickering issues on the AA extender, again all threads on that are also un-annodized
- Tailcap boot has a bit of play, needs a few mm of pressure before you can feel the switch

*added*
- compared against iTP again at the 2:30 mark, its dropped on ceiling bounce. perceivable difference, only if you're looking for it. will check again later.
- we are at the 4 hour mark. Ceiling bounce LOOKS to be half output. Eneloop appears to carry decent performance... Again, not at the level advertised but its holding at a decently solid level. Scrolling down to the lower brightness levels, I see a universal drop in output. the Minimum used to just cutout after the brightness dimmed, but now the LED ramps all the way down (no visible abrupt cutoff of output).
- battery replacement flashing, occured at 3:40. Started runtime test at 22:10. 5.5 hrs til warning, so not entirely horrendous... Its within spec for the light output I guess, but the max just isn't programmed correctly.

Last edited:

qazx

Newly Enlightened
thanks for doing that test surnia, i suspected jetbeams claim of 110lumens for almost 4 hours sounded way too good to be true, which is disappointing as its the only thing that got me interested about this light. its way beyond even what zebralight can squeeze out of an eneloop AA.
4 hours at somewhere between 40-60 lumens sounds much more in line with every other xpg, xml AA light.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
thanks for doing that test surnia, i suspected jetbeams claim of 110lumens for almost 4 hours sounded way too good to be true, which is disappointing as its the only thing that got me interested about this light. its way beyond even what zebralight can squeeze out of an eneloop AA.
4 hours at somewhere between 40-60 lumens sounds much more in line with every other xpg, xml AA light.

Agreed, which is why I also bought it. strongly contemplating returning it, for exactly the thing you mentioned: a Zebra...

*edit* my other problem is, my D10 is still brighter than the RRT-0 on Eneloops, so it essentially renders my entire Eneloop collection useless on it...

Last edited:

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
I've had my RRT-0 since Dec. '11. Always ran on AW protected 16340 with a dozen or so recharges. On high for less than a minute at a time. No issues. Brighter than my 4Sevens TurboX but with less throw (expected). I love my little RRT-0 XM-L. It has been my EDC for nearly four months now and I use it every day. I'm still impressed with it (as is everyone I show it to).

herosemblem

Enlightened
Question. I use CR123 primaries in my RRT0 XML.
Mine does not dial down very low. I thought it was supposed to dial down to something like .005 lumens.
It will dial down low, but definitely not firefly or moonlight. The lowest mine goes is probably 3-5 lumens. Just a tad less bright than Fauxton keychain lights. Looking at the emitter on its lowest setting is painful and I can only do so for a second.

In contrast, my Sunwayman V11R, on CR123 primaries, dials down to a truly low low-- firefly. I can stare at the emitter of my V11R, and I can do the same with my Thrunite TN12 on its firefly mode. All 3 lights use the XML emitter.

Thoughts? I purchased this light used, and included with it was an "AW IMR 14500 3.7v 600mAh" battery, which apparently has been used to power this light at some points in the past. Could this battery have messed with the circuitry?

In any case, I love the light. It's every bit as bright as my U2 V11R; I just wish it could dial down to a firefly level. I like that the rotary ring is actually findable, unlike the V11R's ring.

herosemblem

Enlightened
People who own the RRT0 XML.
Using CR123 primaries, does your light dial down to a truly low low?
Mine does not. Thank you.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the RRT-0 doesn't dial down to a really low low.
Not sure why?
It would be nice if it did.
It doesn't really bother me.

I know that my RRT-01 truly dials down to a really low low...

herosemblem

Enlightened
Thank you so much, Peter. I was concerned that I read so many statements where people claimed their rrt0 xmls dialed down to a firefly-like (sub-lumen) brightness level, and mine did not.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Just got my RRT0 XML yesterday. I'm using it w/ an AW IMR 16340. The supplied pocket clip doesn't fit right; the semi-circle doesn't "snap" onto the barrel straight. Instead of a 90 degree fit, it's more like 87-89 degress. So I'm temporarily using my silver PA10's clip. I do have the screw-in titanium clip on order. I used an Eneloop in my PA10 on the 1 lumen mode and compared it to my RRT's lowest mode. I'd say the PA10's 1 lumen mode is quite a bit brighter than the RRT's lowest. Looking directly at my PA10's emitter is uncomfortable and does partially blind me; however, on the RRT's lowest, I can clearly see the dimness of the emitter, and can study and see the lines of the LED w/out any discomfort. I'm certain it's just a fraction of the brightness of my PA10's "1 lumen" super low. This is my first rotary/control ring light, but my favorite UI so far. I prefer the smooth bezel and flat tail cap over my PA10's crenated bezel and "U" shaped tail cap...

Beckler

Enlightened
Questions

Just got an RRT0 XML and had a few concerns for current owners.

-It says XML 550Lm on the box, but any other way to confirm that it is? I know there were older LED's in this model also.
-The lower body section is slightly different color anodizing than the head/AA-tube. Normal?
-LED isn't centered at all, though I don't really see any effects. The outer fringe of the beam is some odd slightly different color though. Don't remember what.
-The control ring is smooth for the most part, but occasionally, if you press down on it (as though using a flashlight side button), it will bind up and not even move really. Is this normal?
-The ring also has noticeable play (not excessive) in the "up-down" direction--towards and away from the surface of the flashlight body, if you will.
-Lastly, the SOS mode is annoying so far. It keeps coming on when I don't want it. I know it's because I'm just playing with the brightness levels, but who knows if it will stay annoying. They need a better method for this mode that I think no one has actually used, EVER. :D

Feel free to comment. Also, about the previous posts about the low level. Perhaps it's different running a AA cell. Mine goes very low (can barely see it on). I haven't tried it with 123 cell yet.