Jil & Vortex Too Big?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the lights feel smaller in one's pocket than pictures indicate they might. They look almost as large as an Arc LS/twisty. I'd like to get a small, bright, light for my wife's key chain or wallet, but are there better choices?

These two lights intrigue me, yet I'm reluctant to buy without more input. The Fenix is too large and so is the Arc LS - gotta be short and slimmer. No such animal? Wishful thinking?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Takke a look at the Advancedmart.com LED 050cr2.....the one next to the MiniMag.

cr2s.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
While the JIL is fairly small ... the Vortex certainly is way too beefy for what it has to offer. IMHO.

LineUp1.jpg

bernie

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Roy. I should have been more specific and mentioned the photo I saw was yours. But this makes it easy to get another look.

Isn't the Advancedmart light supposed to be dim? If it has a useful amount of light I might have to order one - for the purpose of scientific investigation and increasing my knowledge database :) The size looks good though. It's so hard to have it all but we're getting closer all the time.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, too, bernie. I just saw your post now. Yes, the Jil looks good in your line up and a nice line up it is. No wonder the Jil is popular.

Only because of my deep, deep, scientific interest...I'm contemplating buying..............both. Haven't pulled the trigger . . . yet. Slowly s - q - u - e - e - z - i - n - g.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Jayflash ... the JIL is really cool, and I got just the non-upgraded version. It is on ym keychain and does very well :thumbsup:

Roy ... this thing is incredibly cheap! What do you think of it? Quality? And how easy will the end-clicky activate in a pocket?
I really like the idea of the 0.5W LED with a long burntime here ...

bernie

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The little puppy is heavy! I'd worry about what it might do to the igniteon switch...hanging there with a bunch of keys. Turning itself on in your pocket or ina purse will be hard to do...button has to be pushed below the endcap to click on...it is a revese clicky. The knurling is pretty aggresive. I has a satin chrome color and appears nicely made.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
So ... do you like it? Would you buy it again? The price is very very attractive and so is the runtime!
Is it much brighter than a 5mm LED?

Thanx Roy!

bernie

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help, fellows. I don't need "science" to justify a purchase after all. Just figured that about $200 worth of my lights and a meter broke or were lost in the last year, and I'm waiting for my HDS U60 to come back from the repair shop, to boot.

Of course, these lights should be replaced with newer, better types - in the interest of science.

Latest posts