Jmpaul320 OTF Lumen Sphere Readings & throw measurements!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah. Its around 80% of the led lumen which is expected for the type if reflector setup (eye40) 4600 otf and 220k lux is no slouch

Tk75 was also as expected as k40m has more lumen.

Still both are excellent lights :)

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumen readings from my integration sphere

Although if u have a modified toilet plunger......... Lol.

mmander

Newly Enlightened

Wow, awesome work! Definitely a great resource to compare different lights. :thumbsup:

And that K40Mvn... 3928 lumens @ turn on from a single MT-G2? Wow. :faint: Quite a bit of sag at 30 seconds though; does yours have the optional cast-solder heatsink or the copper one?

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you by any chance measure that TN35vn you had?

On another note, your results bear out that dedoming does cut into the overall output significantly.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Thank you for your Time and Effort !

:twothumbs
_

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, awesome work! Definitely a great resource to compare different lights. :thumbsup:

And that K40Mvn... 3928 lumens @ turn on from a single MT-G2? Wow. :faint: Quite a bit of sag at 30 seconds though; does yours have the optional cast-solder heatsink or the copper one?
I have the cast solder heatsink option :)

Did you by any chance measure that TN35vn you had?

On another note, your results bear out that dedoming does cut into the overall output significantly.
I did not have the sphere completed but I did a rough indirect ceiling bounce - k40m was around 5-10% brighter.

I think this proves that the mtg2 is easily the lumen king.

I was quite surprised at xml2 dedome results too... But they do look plausible when you consider led vs otf lumen. Still 1400+ otf and 600kcd from the tk61vn PDT is very impressive :)

I'm not sure how rdfronty measured 1735 from the tk61 - I'll have to ask him. Maybe its led lumen??? 1700 otf means 2000+ led lumen.

ven

Flashaholic

Big thanks jmpaul for you awesome work:) the tk75vn being 5000k,wonder how that compares to the 6500k tk75vn,wonder what lumen is lost between versions:thinking:

The supbearacebeam is very impressive :D ,seems similar to the tn35vn but i still want one :laughing:

Top stuff:thumbsup:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Big thanks jmpaul for you awesome work:) the tk75vn being 5000k,wonder how that compares to the 6500k tk75vn,wonder what lumen is lost between versions:thinking:

The supbearacebeam is very impressive :D ,seems similar to the tn35vn but i still want one :laughing:

Top stuff:thumbsup:
6500k dome on should be 7-14% brighter

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is interesting about your K50vn is that mine virtually has no difference between levels 5 and 6. I wonder if yours is modded slightly differently regarding the drive levels or something. Others in the K50vn sales thread, including Vinh, have stated that level 5 and 6 are basically the same. I am not saying your measurements are wrong, just curious why your light has such a difference between 5 and 6.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if its a different resistor mod that only increases the max out put setting and the other levels are factory default.

Some of vinhs mods for a while would increase all levels and modes 4-6 would all end up being close (this was the case on my k40vn and tn31vn)

Iirc at some point vinh said he figured out how to keep all other modes and only increase the max setting. Not sure if that applies to all k50vn for sure though.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also - my k50 is a pdtn so a pdtc will be ~0-14% brighter depending on where each emitter falls within the bin

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also - my k50 is a pdtn so a pdtc will be ~0-14% brighter depending on where each emitter falls within the bin
Mine was a 5000K de-domed, which produced a very nice tint :)

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did not have the sphere completed but I did a rough indirect ceiling bounce - k40m was around 5-10% brighter.

I think this proves that the mtg2 is easily the lumen king.

I was quite surprised at xml2 dedome results too... But they do look plausible when you consider led vs otf lumen. Still 1400+ otf and 600kcd from the tk61vn PDT is very impressive :)

I'm not sure how rdfronty measured 1735 from the tk61 - I'll have to ask him. Maybe its led lumen??? 1700 otf means 2000+ led lumen.

Nice, I was mostly wondering because I keep fighting with myself over whether to get the K40Mvn or not. Still on the fence, but given the relatively small difference, and that the tn35, I'll probably stick to the light I have for now.

You're right about the mtg2 being king... I'm really surprised Vinh has been able to push it to almost 4000 lumens though, and that it won out over the TK75vn.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think since the mtg2 is a bigger and floodier led , more of the lumens end up getting out the front and not lost in the reflector (think mule vs reflector).

I think that's really the only reason the k40m is slightly brighter than the tn35. The k40 has a shallower and smaller reflector (less surface area)

Same goes for the mm15 - there's almost no reflector at all in that light lol.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing I have found very interesting - is the extreme difference in perceived brightness vs what the numbers say. I have always known this was the case in theory - but its another thing to see it first hand with concrete numbers.

Lets look at 2 examples:

Convoy S3 3x XPG2 R4 5A1 - highest mode 1414 lumen @ turn on, 1321@ 30 sec (at 5.8 amps) - next highest mode -462 lumen (at 1.91 amps)

The convoy uses a "narrow" optic which blends all the light emitted into one large hotspot (which actually ends up being floody, as far as lights are concerned.... go figure... narrow is not really uh... narrow at all... but I digress)

I had my wife as a second observer and I switched back and forth a few times between the highest and next highest modes (~1300 and ~460). We both agreed :)sssh:it doesnt happen often) that the highest mode looked to be around maybe 700 lumens when comparing it the 460 lumen mode (in terms of relative output); when in reality its close to 3x the actual lumen!

Also... the power difference is 5.8a vs 1.9a.... it takes 3 times the power for only a slight increase in perceived brightness!

Securitying King (skyray king clone) 3x XML2-T6 4C with UCL & fet driver

4476@ turn on, 3810@ 30 sec, 1905 high

Again - same thing as the convoy - switching between around 2000 lumens and 4000 lumens looks to be only a 15-20% difference when in reality the highest mode is 100% brighter!

7000-10000 lumens is attainable now. How many more lumen is it going to take to really blow these cutting edge mods we have now out of the water? 40,000? 50,000? and how much power/efficiency is needed?

:huh:#mindblown:D

Last edited:

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had this same experience with lasers. Compare a 100mW laser vs a 500mW one with similar beam specs, and yes, one is obviously brighter, but you really don't get that much more of a "wow" factor from literally five times as much power.

If you also start factoring in differences in perceived brightness due to wavelength, well, it gets a bit wacky imo, when a 50mW green pen is brighter looking than an 800mW 405nm (purple) laser.

Unfortunately our perception of the increase in brightness is very far from linear :(

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe vinh can resistor mod my eyes :crackup: lol lol