just got my quark 123 tactical & jetbeam jet-1 v3.0 updated with beamshots

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: just got my quark 123 tactical updated with beamshots

Just convinced myself to place a pre-order on the 123 Tactical in neutral white.

I didn't need any convincing, been there, done that. :) Now though, I'm really glad I did. I know the neutral white will have less output than the cool white, but, sitll, it looks like it's going to be awfully bright on Max. :twothumbs

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened

I'm now using the T1A which is know for the Bluish white tint. It's also much of a flood type light. The Quark will be an exact opposite at about the same size. I'm starting to like single cell CR123 lights better and better...

xenonk

Enlightened
Re: just got my quark 123 tactical

I just ordered a AA tactical in neutral white. Can't wait to see it in action; got some 14500s waiting to be chewed on.

Maybe by then there'll be a GITD clicky!
I don't recall if it was said whether standard 14mm tailcaps fit, but that would make it an easy fix if they did.

But if they are stowed in a glovebox or other dark locations, they'll never get enough light to even give off a faint glow.
Why would your EDC be stowed instead of on your person, though?

The ones on my lights are good for 15-20 minutes tops before they lose their glow.
That kind of variation isn't surprising. There are different types and grades of GITD pigment, and they're used in differing amounts between products. Nothing stays freshly-charged bright for long, but if you saturate some rubber with a high grade of NoctiLumina, it'll visibly glow for over 24 hours.

clipboard

Newly Enlightened

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss252/dewery/flashlightbeamshots010.jpg
just got my new jetbeam jet-1 v3.0 r2 . I really like the light . I believe it's as bright as my quark but has a little longer throw.

jetbeam jet-1 v3.0 r2 on a aw14500 on max

flashlightbeamshots010.jpg

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Clipboard...Where did you get AW 14500's that actually fit and work? [consistently light up]

in your Jetbeam Pro I Ver 3 R? I am on my second Jetbeam and also just bought a Olight I-15 AA and have the same problem. [All of my AW AA batteries are at least 1.5mm longer than Enloops, etc.]

I am just interested in the source of your batteries as I will do an extensive post on the Battery Forum about too long and oversize RCR batteries sometime next week...Thanks for any info..William

jahxman

Enlightened
Clipboard...Where did you get AW 14500's that actually fit and work? [consistently light up]

I use protected AW 14500's in both of my Jet-I Pros (v2 and v3) that I got from lighthound and they fit just fine. I have a few more on order from 4sevens; I wouldn't expect them to be any different, as it is the same manufacturer, but maybe I'm naive about that?

wapkil

Enlightened
I am on my second Jetbeam and also just bought a Olight I-15 AA and have the same problem. [All of my AW AA batteries are at least 1.5mm longer than Enloops, etc.]

My black AW's 14500s are also longer than 50mm. They are 51.5mm - 51mm (with/without the shrink wrap on the negative end) but they work in my lights (including the Jet-I v3.0).

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
I picked them up from 4sevens and I've never had a problem with them in either the jetbeam or nitecore ndi....how about the trustfires?

jahxman

Enlightened
I picked them up from 4sevens and I've never had a problem with them in either the jetbeam or nitecore ndi....how about the trustfires?

I do have a couple Trustfire protected 14500s, which are maybe a mm longer than the AWs, which in a couple of my lights does start to put them into the zone where they start to affect the functioning of the light; they work ok in my Jet-I v2 though.

left to right:
Trustfire protected, AW protected, Ultrafire unprotected, Energizer Alkaline
aabatts.jpg

wapkil

Enlightened
I do have a couple Trustfire protected 14500s, which are maybe a mm longer than the AWs, which in a couple of my lights does start to put them into the zone where they start to affect the functioning of the light; they work ok in my Jet-I v2 though.

Interesting - my blue protected TrustFires are around 0.5mm shorter than my AW batteries. All of them of course are called 14500 so should be exactly 50mm long...

EDIT: as with every standard probably not "exactly" but 50mm with some tolerance but I doubt 51.5mm is within this tolerance

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running AW protected 14500s and Trustfire protected (blue label) 14500s in all of my AA size lights (D10, QuarkAA, Jet I Pro IBS v3, AKOray K-106) with no problems. I like both of these cells a lot. I especially like the pricing on the Trustfires... about half the cost of the AWs.

I find the Jet I Pro IBS v3. to clearly be a better thrower than the Quark, though the Quark really does do a very nice job throwing.

Comparing beam quality is another story... the Jet I Pro is fairly ringy with the SMO reflector which I like for throw (haven't tried the OP reflector), whereas the Quark gives a nearly perfect, ring-free, artifact-free beam with a very wide spill.

Quark deserves some major kudos for providing a pocket-size flashlight with great R2 brightness, verrrry low low, excellent throw, wide spill, comparatively white tint, and super-clean, artifact-free beam quality. Right now I really think the Quark is the pocket light to beat. Though I do like my new Jet I Pro v3, my various Quarks get the nod from me.

Last edited:

clipboard

Newly Enlightened
I agree with what you said the quark is a all around better edc light. not taking away from the jetbeam, it's an excellent pocket thrower.i still like my nitecore ndi as far as changing the brightness settings .

wapkil

Enlightened
I'm running AW protected 14500s and Trustfire protected (blue label) 14500s in all of my AA size lights (D10, QuarkAA, Jet I Pro IBS v3, AKOray K-106) with no problems. I like both of these cells a lot. I especially like the pricing on the Trustfires... about half the cost of the AWs.

If I'm correct, it's actually about a quarter of the cost. The price is $9 at B/S/T for AW's (plus shipping) and $4.75 at DX for TrustFires (shipping included) but you get a single AW's cell and two TrustFires.

I find the Jet I Pro IBS v3. to clearly be a better thrower than the Quark, though the Quark really does do a very nice job throwing.

Comparing beam quality is another story... the Jet I Pro is fairly ringy with the SMO reflector which I like for throw (haven't tried the OP reflector), whereas the Quark gives a nearly perfect, ring-free, artifact-free beam with a very wide spill.

My Jet-I has an ugly, ringy beam with the SMO reflector and I think a quite nice one with the OP. Thanks to the XP-E LED (and the OP reflector) the Quarks are probably better but you should try the OP reflector with the Jet-I if you don't like the beam :)