Kel-lite beam shots

William 1

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.
Has anyone got beamshots comparing the Kel-lite 3 head sizes please?
The small head is supposed to give the most throw according to what i've read, but that seems a little counter intuitive to me?
Thanks

konifans

Enlightened
The D cell large heads give the best throw and beam pattern, and the spll is much wider. I think it is better than Maglite.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'll get some photos when I can. If I don't return, have them look for a frozen body surrounded by flashlights.
Leave them all turned on, and maybe the heat will keep your corpse from freezing.

Hey, just saw that you're in MA. Isn't that where people are being asked to house an illegal alien family, at your own expense? Do you have a house full yet?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Small head looks brighter because the beam is more concise.
Medium head is same size as a D cell Maglite. Throws like a Maglite.
Large head throws the best.

Bulb matters too. Slap a Maglite Kryton and it beats the stock GE or Phillips bulb. Throw a PR base Maglite Xenon for best results.

Using a washer to move the bulb forward some also helps with throw.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Explain with a diagram how the washers work. I assume you mean the ones that come with old kryptonstar bulbs
You stack the washers up in front of the bulb in the bulb holder to change the bulb's depth in the reflector. It lets you focus the beam in a fiddly manual way the same way a screw-in/out focus arrangement works.

konifans

Enlightened
I am missing the midium head, so here are the photos.
All photos are taken about 1 meter distance from the wall.

Kel-Lite 7D Large Head, with a Philips PR20 bulbs.
The best beam in my point of view.
Some PR20 bulbs have narrower filament so the beam is more rounded and focused. Good quality PR20 bulbs such as Philips PR20, GE PR20. Avoid CEC PR20 because they have wider filament.
DSC_1247-7D.jpg

Same as above, Kel-Lite D-cell Large Head.
It is actually a 2D Large Head, I put 6AA and a Maglite 7.2V Krypton bulb in it.
DSC_1247-6D.jpg

This is a Kel-Lite 1D with small head.
I do not have many D-cell small heads so am not sure if the reflector is original becasue it has beautiful and smooth beam pattern. I have two Kel-Lite 1D, and they all have this similar reflectors. I have another Kel-Lite 2D, but it comes with the C-cell like reflector.
DSC_1247-1D.jpg

This is a Kel-Lite 2C which already has a very good qualit Maglite 2-cell Xenon PR bulb in it...
DSC_1247-2C.jpg

For comparison is a Maglite 2C.
DSC_1247-M2C.jpg

The same Maglite 2C
DSC_1247-M2C-2.jpg

Surefire 6P with P60 lamp assembly.
DSC_1247-6P.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Konifans definitely saved me a lot of trouble, but I'll still get some beamshots with all three* head sizes when I'm able. At longer distance too.

I do not have many D-cell small heads so am not sure if the reflector is original becasue it has beautiful and smooth beam pattern. I have two Kel-Lite 1D, and they all have this similar reflectors. I have another Kel-Lite 2D, but it comes with the C-cell like reflector.

Regarding the reflectors, they're all correct. Prior to 1972 or so they used the style with the green/gray/brown screw-in bulb holder. After that they used the type with the large black** screw-on type. You sometimes see early lights with later reflectors as replacements. C-cell and D-cell small head used the same reflectors interchangeably.

*Fun fact: There are actually four Kel-Lite head sizes. Two completely different medium heads were made. Both are common but it's hard to notice unless you see both together.
**Some early production ones were light blue rather than black.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say they're rare. But large and small heads were made for over ten years. Medium heads were introduced about halfway through the company's run; maybe five years of production.