KL3 thoughts.

HunterSon

Enlightened
I just picked up a black KL3 mated to a 9P (Thanks John (JCCIV) from Lighthound.com!). It is a very good match for the 9P, with the whole flashlight balancing well and filling the hand nicely. I just like the way the C/P series bodies feel in the hand compared to smaller lights.

It does have very good throw, lighting up the trees in my dark back yard easily (200 feet away). The spot is bigger than my Pelican 3W M6 but still out throws it because the spill light is concentrated into the main beam.

That leads me to one of two changes I would like to see to the new KL3.

1. Since the light is squeezed into a spot this probably won't be the first choice for a house light or a walking light. So it would make a good defensive blinding light. Crank up the power to the LED to 750ma and make it really blinding!!!! The head is big enough to take the heat.

2. Make a second version, the KL3b (you know like the X200a and X200b), where instead of an optic, use a reflector like in the KL5. Good throw and good spill for a general purpose light.

Overall I like the second generation KL3 much more than I liked the newest KL1 (don't ask and I won't have to make up a reason).

Good job Surefire and thanks again John!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
which do you like better... kl3 or PM6 3W?

-David

HunterSon

Enlightened
I don't know yet. I've only had the KL3 for a few hours, so that new toy feeling has not worn off yet. The Pelican is a really nice light but I like the feel of the bigger surefire. Since I rarely take less than two lights on a walk (it almost sounded like I am taking the lights for a walk, you know you are a flashlight geek when....) I don't have to choose.

Now if I had the KL3b I have been imagining, it would win hands down.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
would it be possible to get comparision shots at the same distance... but two photo's taken one at a time with both lights?

I really want to see how both throw/spill when compared side by side...

Thanks for the info... i am very interested in both lights!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
p.s. is the pelican m6 have a body diameter of 1inch? Making it availible for a 1inch ring for weapon light mounting? Thanks!

jacques

Newly Enlightened
Just placed an order from Lighthound, I chose the HA one to match my HA C3.

HunterSon, what is the tint of your KL3?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
can someone inform me how well the kl3 illuminates a completely dark room... thats an average bedroom size... does it pretty much make a focus beam or does it give off enough side spill to illuminate it decently well?

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
can someone inform me how well the kl3 illuminates a completely dark room... thats an average bedroom size... does it pretty much make a focus beam or does it give off enough side spill to illuminate it decently well?
The KL3 Generation 2 does have a really tight spot but in a totally dark room it easily gives off enough light to read by when faced the other way. I tried it just now in a 12 X 12 bedroom (with white walls) and I could do most any task with the amount of light it provides. Aim it at the ceiling and you should have suitable room light that will last awhile.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGD said:
The KL3 Generation 2 does have a really tight spot but in a totally dark room it easily gives off enough light to read by when faced the other way. I tried it just now in a 12 X 12 bedroom (with white walls) and I could do most any task with the amount of light it provides. Aim it at the ceiling and you should have suitable room light that will last awhile.

hey BIGD i just saw that you have the KL3 and a gladius...

how would you compare the beam structure of a KL3 to a gladius? I'm playing with my best friend's gladius right now outside and it does have pretty dang good throw and decent spill... My l2 has more spill but less throw...

at a say 10ft distance... how do they beam's compare? does the gladius give off a lot more side spill than the KL3? or are they about the same? what about throw and distance which is better? Thanks you so much for your insight!

i'm basicly trying to see how the KL3 would do as a weapon light... I would hate to have all my beam inside a room to go to one focused point rather than spilling out SOME WHAT over the entire wall.. at least letting you know whats in the room with one swipe of the light... rather than having to aim the focused KL3 head all around the room to acually see anything...

Thanks again,
Jared, NE

p.s. if you could also compare how your KL5 head stacks up against the gladius/kl3 that would be great too...

Last edited:

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Jar3DS: I think the KL3 has a more "perfect" beam compared to the Gladius. I found the Gladius's beam was maybe a tiny bit better in the throw department (not by a lot though) but it has more spill and more artifacts. Color wise they are nearly the same, kinda blueish but not bad (the KL3 Gen-1 was way more blue). For a weapons light I think the Gladius would be a better choice since the KL3 is pretty tight. Even though it does provide some light all over in a dark room it would be hard to aquire a target quickly with the KL3 unless you were pointing it directly at the subject. The Gladius's better side spill would help you out there a bit. The KL5 (on an L5 for me) is a very bright light. If you point it into a dark room of a house and turn it on it lights up the room like right now. It has a very broad beam with a good hot spot and throw out to around forty feet or so. I think for a tactical light (out of the three you mentioned) for clearing buildings especially with a handgun I would go in the order of the KL5, Gladius, KL3. Of course there are so many others that are great for tactical uses.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGD said:
Jar3DS: I think the KL3 has a more "perfect" beam compared to the Gladius. I found the Gladius's beam was maybe a tiny bit better in the throw department (not by a lot though) but it has more spill and more artifacts. Color wise they are nearly the same, kinda blueish but not bad (the KL3 Gen-1 was way more blue). For a weapons light I think the Gladius would be a better choice since the KL3 is pretty tight. Even though it does provide some light all over in a dark room it would be hard to aquire a target quickly with the KL3 unless you were pointing it directly at the subject. The Gladius's better side spill would help you out there a bit. The KL5 (on an L5 for me) is a very bright light. If you point it into a dark room of a house and turn it on it lights up the room like right now. It has a very broad beam with a good hot spot and throw out to around forty feet or so. I think for a tactical light (out of the three you mentioned) for clearing buildings especially with a handgun I would go in the order of the KL5, Gladius, KL3. Of course there are so many others that are great for tactical uses.

thanks for your input! very informative... out of those three... what would you consider the best for outdoor scanning out to 50m?

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
thanks for your input! very informative... out of those three... what would you consider the best for outdoor scanning out to 50m?

Hummm, I guess I would pick the Gladius for its throw. The KL3 would do well also and the KL5 would probably fall short at that distance.

jacques

Newly Enlightened
Got my today, very please by that. It look very good on my C3. It do throw very well. Tint is like HID colour, which is my favorite.

On C3, big KL3 head but with small tailcap, which look a bit odd.........

Therefore, I decided to get a luxury SW02 tailcap, now it look absolutely brilliant for me.

My KL3 and SW02 is also from Lighthound. What an excellent seller. Super fast email respond and spot on shipping charge. Without a doubt I will come back to Lighthound again.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
sadly I wish SF would make a LED head that had some decent spill but still had a good hot spot... (best of both worlds, i know =) )...

but it seems like its either all flood or all throw... i guess the KL5 head is somewhat good at both... would you guys agree?

HunterSon

Enlightened
I replaced the Luxeon V emitter in a L2 head with a Lux III emitter and run it on a Pila 168S in a E2e body. Really bright with good throw and tons of spill. I'm sure that it would have been easy for surefire to take a L4 head, change the electronics and put in a Luxeon III emitter and come up with the same result. For some reason they decided to go with optics.

jacques

Newly Enlightened
I think the reason using an optics on KL1 and KL3 is power consumption, where KL1 and KL3 produce a bright hotspot but with great runtime.