KL4, KL5 and KL6...(difference)

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Would I be correct in saying that the KL4, KL5 and KL6 heads have the same LED and regulated circuitry?

Thanks...
smile.gif

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
All three have 5w Luxon LED's, but I'm not sure about the circuit regulation. I too would like to know more about that as I'm about to pick up a L5 to complement the already outstanding L4 I've got.

nc987

Enlightened
I know theres a difference between the regulation on a L5 vs the L6 but i dont know the details. Whatever it is allows the L5 to be brighter with 3 cr123's behind it vs the 2, but the L6 doesnt get brighter with more voltage. Thats all about I know. Ive been considering a extender for my L5 to see just how much brighter it is as I have no 9 volt body's.

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
So I can pop a HA C-series extender (A19 I think) on the L5 and have the added run time, plus a little brighter light than the L6? I think you've just made up my mind to order the L5!

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I own two L5's and recently tried switching the heads onto a 3 cell C3 body. I was able to do a side by side 2 vs. 3 cell test with the two heads but unfortunately there was absolutely no change in brightness.

cfb

pete7226

Enlightened
I think the added brightness of the l6 comes from the deeper reflector-nothing to do with extra batteries

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I agree. I had just heard in a couple of threads that the KL5 produced more output when driven with 9v. Maybe that was an earlier version or something.(?)

cfb

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think the output would increase due to the digital regulation, but I'm sure with 3 cells the run time increased a fair amount.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L7 head has regulation in the body, so dont use it on anything but a L7

KL4: flood light, drive current around 600ma, can be used on 1 or 2 cells. All KL4s dont work on 1 cell, but most do.

KL5: Medium throw light, drive current about 700ma, can be used on 2-3 cells.

KL6, simalar to the KL6, but with a slightly bigger reflector. Medium/long throw light, drive current around 700ma (maybe 750?), can be used on 3 cells (and the M6 because its battery's are in seris IIRC)

Protaeus

Enlightened
I've heard that the KL6 can be used on the M4 and 4x CR123a for longer runtimes. Not sure if its true.

So the M6 is 2x (3xCR123As in series) in parallel eh? ANyone tried an 18V light yet? :)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protaeus said:
I've heard that the KL6 can be used on the M4 and 4x CR123a for longer runtimes. Not sure if its true.

So the M6 is 2x (3xCR123As in series) in parallel eh? ANyone tried an 18V light yet? :)

I beleive the KL6 is a buck converter so it should be fine on butween 9-18 volts unless Im mistaken

Right now i honestly cant remember if the M6 is series or parallel... someone who knows will chime in soon.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The KL4 has a boost converter. Use two CR123's, or one 17650, or 17670 for full regulation.

The KL5 seems to have evolved from a boost converter to a buck/boost converter. There is an extensive thread documenting this change, but do not know the title. On newer model use one 17650, or 17670, two 17500's, or three CR123's for good regulation. Can also use two RCR123's.

The KL6 seems to have a buck converter, and can handle 12 volts.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just checked Surefire's online store, and the KL5 and KL6 are not offered. Maybe have to order them over the phone?

Bill

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Lighthound.com has both the KL5 & KL6 in-stock (as of earlier this afternoon). Prices seem fairly reasonable, but for the price I just paid for my L5, the KL5 would have to be priced around $70 for me to even 'think' about getting it (instead of just picking up the whole light).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
seattlite, thanks. They were not on the Led Conversions page. I notice they are still using old specs and pictures for conversions, but not complete lights.

Bill

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
thesurefire said:
I think the L7 head has regulation in the body, so dont use it on anything but a L7

Well it shipped to me with an 8AX Commander body and seemed to work fine so I wonder....:thinking:

My story on that incident is in the Cheers and Jeers section.....

I really miss that puppy....hope I see it again sometime soon.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
I'm running my L6 on 4 123's with a 1 cell extender for a total of 12volts. It seems slightly brighter even though it's not supposed to be! Should get a lot longer runtime but haven't had a chance to test rt yet.
Bill