KL6 with SSC P4 - throw monster!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I couldn't take it any longer and went ahead and tried this mod. It turns out the LuxV was only using thermal grease and solder to the pads not epoxy to hold it down. That kind of surprised me. The metal disk on mine was slightly concave so I flattened it out and sanded it down some on the LED side. The thinnest shim I had was 0.55mm so I sanded it down to 0.29mm and sandwiched it between the LED and disk.

Getting the whole mess centered in the reflector took some doing but it looks pretty close to perfect. One thing I worry about with these is the thermal path. The disk only makes contact with the head at the screw posts so I hit them with thermal grease. After 10 minutes or so the head is only slightly warm, 34C. I have other lights running less current that get warmer but I don't know how to make a better path to get rid of the heat.

I was surprised it doesn't seem to put out as much light as I'd hoped. I'm using a U2SWOI and a Mag mod I made using the same LED but only ~500mA smokes it. I'm guessing the larger Mag reflector is what makes a lot of difference. Part is also partly perception since the Mag has a very noticeable hotspot but the KL6 has a much softer hotspot. One other thing is that I'm running it on 2x18650s not 3xCR123s.

-LT

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for the feedback... this has been my assumption for awhile... focus may change, but lumens out the front end is the real question?

how much lumens can be put out by a single LED? not BS claims but true usable lumens out the front end...

it has to be substantial for me to void my lifetime surefire warranty by switching to a different LED.
runtime is not really a factor either as L-6 is running on 2x li-ion cells. have never run out of capacity due to use of a McGizmo two stage inside tailcap.

I was surprised it doesn't seem to put out as much light as I'd hoped. I'm using a U2SWOI and a Mag mod I made using the same LED but only ~500mA smokes it. I'm guessing the larger Mag reflector is what makes a lot of difference. Part is also partly perception since the Mag has a very noticeable hotspot but the KL6 has a much softer hotspot. One other thing is that I'm running it on 2x18650s not 3xCR123s.

-LT

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey cy,

It is putting out more than the original LuxV (fairly old) and slightly more than a newer KL6 I have but it's not really a "wow" experience for me. It will do for the time being but I'll keep searching for that "wow" effect. I'm also using a McGizmo two stage and it really like it too.

img0089smallcy5.jpg

-LT

cy

Flashaholic
my KL6 is putting a solid Wbin for output... slightly more output doesn't justify killing the surefire warranty.

there's soooo many inflated lumens claims ... have long lost track what's real and what's not.

my old MR-X with it's single LED, now 5 years old (somewhere in Europe) would put out lumens equal to Surefire M6 with lola. or 250+ lumens out the front end.

not sure if any other single LED light has surpassed that performance yet?

now if there's an emitter out there that surpass' my old MR-X... that would be worth killing off my surefire warranty.

Last edited:

MrChoi

Newly Enlightened
I don't see anything wrong with running this on two 17500s, since the light still has the stock converter that will eat anything from 6-12V. You will of course get more runtime due to higher capacity though.

Just did a test, 64 minutes of runtime on two protected RCR123 (nominal capacity 650mAh), after that the battery protection kicks in an the light just shuts down. I didn't cool the light in any way, it just gets slightly warm, like body temperature maybe. Since I didn't do a runtime test with the unmodded KL6 on two rechargeables, I can't compare. Anyway, I'm really, really happy with over an hour of runtime on two rechargeables, and with my two-stage tailcap mod, I get loads of runtime on low setting (I quit the test after 24 hours with the unmodded KL6 because I got tired of it!) with very useful output.

This package really rocks!

KL6-C-M.jpg

sorry to bring back an old thread but what body is that being used with the KL6?

Thanks!!!

1wrx7

Enlightened
sorry to bring back an old thread but what body is that being used with the KL6?

Thanks!!!

It looks like a Leef M head-C tail 1X18650 body. After looking for one for about 9 months I finally have one in the mail:twothumbs They have become very hard to find.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a stock new Seoul version KL6(A?) work with two 18650 batteries? I have the leef body at home (running M3 head with EO-M3). I would like to give it a try.
What runtime could I expect from this combo?

Edit: I think I read somewhere that newer KL6 heads use Seoul LEDs, or not?

Thanks.

Hey cy,

It is putting out more than the original LuxV (fairly old) and slightly more than a newer KL6 I have but it's not really a "wow" experience for me. It will do for the time being but I'll keep searching for that "wow" effect. I'm also using a McGizmo two stage and it really like it too.

img0089smallcy5.jpg

-LT

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't really know anything about a "new" L6 but if it runs on 3xCR123s then 2x18650s should be fine. As for runtime, no clue. I've run mine a good bit but haven't really kept track of the amount of time.

-LT

Last edited:

MrChoi

Newly Enlightened
can i still purchase the Leef M head-C tail 1X18650 body? i checked lighthound but i do not see it.

THanks.