L-M-H with full clicks

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a light that meets the following criteria:

• Less than $25
  • UI: Low->Med->Hi with no memory
  • Low mode should be 1-2 lumens, high could be anything more than 50 lumens, doesn't have to be extremely bright.
  • Runs on 1x or 2x AA or 2x AAA
  • And the criteria that is more difficult to find: must use tail clicky that turns on, changes modes, and turns off all with full clicks, not half presses.

I gave my wife an Eagletac D25A2, but the half-presses aren't intuitive for her.

The only one I can think of that meets these criteria of is the out-of-production Preon (still limited stock left though), but the 2xAAA is over $40 with the clicky tailcap and I wanted to stay away from 1xAAA for longer run times.

Anyone know of a cheaper option?

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't realize that the Preon 2xAA comes with a clicky switch, thought you had to buy it separately. CPF discount also brings down the price pretty much into the range I wanted. It is odd though that there aren't really any lights with this UI.

I'm not familiar with the D25 UI. What happens if you fully press the switch instead of doing half presses?

If you can live with a M-L-H UI, I like my LUMINTOP IYP365 Nichia. It can be had for close to $21 on Amazon with a discount code.

There are some discontinued Quark Pros on eBay (search "quark flashlight") for <$25 but have flashing modes in the UI. Moonlight > Low > Medium > High > Turbo > SOS > Strobe > Beacon

The old Preon P2 (just blue ones left on the Foursevens clearance page, though other sellers still have them in other colors) has a similar UI to the Eagletac D25 series... both use a Reverse clicky switch, wherein a full press turns the light on, and subsequent half presses advance through the modes L-M-H, L-M-H (and then to hidden blinky-flashy modes). You can advance through modes using two full clicks (off and then on again) instead of one half click if you're fast enough, but it's obviously more work to achieve the same end.

Maybe I'm missing something here.. But with a mechanical switch, a full click off and on, will achieve the same thing as a half press???

I really don't think you'll find a clicky that works how you are asking.

I'm not familiar with the D25 UI. What happens if you fully press the switch instead of doing half presses?

If you can live with a M-L-H UI, I like my LUMINTOP IYP365 Nichia. It can be had for close to $21 on Amazon with a discount code.

There are some discontinued Quark Pros on eBay (search "quark flashlight") for <$25 but have flashing modes in the UI. Moonlight > Low > Medium > High > Turbo > SOS > Strobe > Beacon

The old Preon P2 (just blue ones left on the Foursevens clearance page, though other sellers still have them in other colors) has a similar UI to the Eagletac D25 series... both use a Reverse clicky switch, wherein a full press turns the light on, and subsequent half presses advance through the modes L-M-H, L-M-H (and then to hidden blinky-flashy modes). You can advance through modes using two full clicks (off and then on again) instead of one half click if you're fast enough, but it's obviously more work to achieve the same end.

Maybe I'm missing something here.. But with a mechanical switch, a full click off and on, will achieve the same thing as a half press???

I really don't think you'll find a clicky that works how you are asking.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think maybe what I'm looking for just doesn't exist. Foursevens Preon and Quark seem the closest, but as mentioned, it is kind of cumbersome to click off and then back on to change modes.