L3 Illumination L11c Durability and Experiences?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the driver I have in my L11c now

VlFKN4t.png

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm putting a vote in for the Malkoff MDC AA. Yes it is bigger than my other AA lights BUT they are so awesome I don't care. Best moon mode on any light I've tried, love the 219 tint (be aware that there will be a slight dark ring towards the outer edge of the spill, this is a characteristic of the nichia) and they are absolutely bombproof. These lights can be passed on to your grandkid's grandkids probably. The new clip design is a huge upgrade. I was going to sell my XPG version to help fund the Nichia version and now I can't stand to let it go. In fact just ordered a steel crenelated bezel to make it even more of a monster. Can't recommend them enough. Also after getting used to them and carrying them the size isn't an issue for me. I HATE fragile lights. If I could only carry MDCs and E01s I'd be just fine.

hap124

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates on L11C durability?
I am not interested in other lights unless they are identical in size and function and have the same lack of PWM etc.

I hope you find a light that meets your criteria

Im not aware of any change in the drop resistance of the L11c (I still have not dropped mine), and Im not sure what other light you can find with noPWM, and a Nichia, in AA

if you want a light with no pulses ( broader term than technical PWM), then Eagletac, Zebralight, Malkoff 3 mode, are out. You may find Olight, Thrunite, and Lumintop viable options..

If you want a Nichia option, like the L11c offers, Olight and Thrunite are out, and Im not sure if there is a stock Lumintop AA w a Nichia

iirc Malkoff makes an AA option w Nichia, and the 1 or 2 mode has no PWM, but is definitely not the same size and function as the L11c

I suggest you contact a modder, such as gunga, and see if he can help build your dream light

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had mine a couple months, with no drops worth mentioning so far. I tend to be careful with it based on other's experiences, so I'm afraid (or perhaps glad) I can't answer your question.

I did decide to buy it fully aware of the durability issues. It was closer to what I was looking for than anything else I found, and although I'd be annoyed if it dies, the price was not high enough to I would completely regret it.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all, any further info on l11c, possible descendants or an outright replacement? My beloved l10c died, it was my favorite light:

- small
- powerfull
- high cri
- sane UI, clicky!

Is there anything similar?

eart

Newly Enlightened
AA only? If you don't mind AAA the Lumintop Tool is real nice

Yeah, I should've mentioned that AA is a must. Standard battery and all. The tool seems real nice though. I'm looking at Olight S1A, it seems to hit all of the requirements, but at $50 it's almost twice the price I paid for L10C. Though if it's robust it's not a deal breaker.

eart

Newly Enlightened
sorry for your loss

how long did it live, cause of death: blunt force trauma?
get another one?

have you considered Zebralight SC53c?

Honestly it's hard to say. This was an unimposing tiny light that delivered a huge punch for the size and price. It's only when things are gone do you realize their true value. It accompanied me on all my adventures over the last 2 years. I remember impressing normies with it's IPX8 at some hotsprings. Subsequently using it during multiple power outages and various other things. Last friday I was packing for another trip and wouldn't turn on. I dont know what happened. Googling (and this thread) make me think that I got lucky with 2 years of service..

I'll gladly consider SC53c..however various braindumps i've read indicate that the UI may be less than intuitive. Also I just found out about 14500 and it seems an attractive proposition. Quick googling suggests that some ZLs models support 14500, but not SC53c. Is that right? And if so which model should I be looking at?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im glad you have many happy memories with your L10. Time to put it on the shelf and start some new ones :)

iirc, there is no 90+ CRI AA Zebra with 14500 compatibility, check their product list
if you want to consider Zebralight SC53c, here is a thread about it, with a suggestion for a simple UI (programmable),

imho there is only one choice: the SC53c
The other 90+CRI option is the SC5c that is 45% heavier (fail!)
lets move this Zebra talk to that thread...

Last edited:

eart

Newly Enlightened
Im glad you have many happy memories with your L10. Time to put it on the shelf and start some new ones :)

iirc, there is no 90+ CRI AA Zebra with 14500 compatibility, check their product list

If you want an AA 90+ CRI Zebra, imho there is only one choice: the SC53c
The other 90+CRI option is the SC5c that is 45% heavier (fail!)

Thanks for linking me to ZL product line, that's a lot to digest! Are there any ZLs that support 14500, with medium CRI values?

I had to go back and digest L10C stats -- supposedly it has a 92 for CRI. I can't find any Olight S1A numbers, but this thread lists them as "low". It's tempting to roll the dice with an L11C though.. it checks all the boxes and supports 14500, if only it didn't randomly break.

archimedes

Flashaholic

hatman

Enlightened
For a reliable AA size clicky light that takes 14500 or Eneloops check out the EagleTac D25A in Ti or aluminum. Some come with Nichia emitter. I have three versions and they are my EDC pocket-carry of choice.

eart

Newly Enlightened
For a reliable AA size clicky light that takes 14500 or Eneloops check out the EagleTac D25A in Ti or aluminum. Some come with Nichia emitter. I have three versions and they are my EDC pocket-carry of choice.

That seems like a great option. Let me lookup some reviews.