Leatherman Rebar - The Sofirn of multitools?

fulee9999

Enlightened
After using my Victorinox Multitool for a good while and having had the strange occurence once of not having it on me when I needed one, I decided to buy a second multitool, and knowing that Leatherman is very popular in the US I decided to buy one.

I needed one that can easily fit on my belt, either in a pouch or in itself, but has most of what I need, so the Charge/Surge/Wave was out of the question as they would be a lot bigger than what I want, and the Wingman/Sidekick doesn't have replaceable wirecutters in the same format, so I decided to go with the Rebar.

So far I would rate it a good 3.6/5, not great not terrible. One thing that was just plain baffling to me, was the packaging or out of the box state of it. The tool had a very rough time in there ( as evident in the pictures below ) and needed a thorough cleaning before it would even open properly. All the paper gunk has worked into the ( previously ) greased but now dry joints:

20220408_123124.jpg

20220408_123039.jpg

Nothing a few minutes of cleaning and subsequent greasing wouldn't fix thankfully:

20220408_132936.jpg

20220408_133040.jpg

20220408_133103.jpg

One thing I'm not sure I'm on board with though, is that the tool is still so rough to open that it can sidestand:

20220408_133639.jpg

I hope after some use it will break in a bit, we shall see, but so far I'm not impressed.

Ps: Also the fact that the handle tools just kinda fall out bunched together when deployed is also very weird, but the locking seems sturdy enough.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Rebar, but then I have had a dozen Leathermen over the years and like nearly all of them. (The Wingman is the only one that feels unacceptably cheap.)
The Rebar is solid, well-built, and has a good selection of tools. Not a deluxe model like the Wave or Charge, but a very good and rugged basic design. I'd give it more like a 4.2/5.
One advantage that you did not mention is the option of the Knifeless Rebar. I sometimes travel in Europe where some countries have extra restrictions on knives (e.g. they cannot be locking). The lack of a knife-blade makes life simpler -- it means I have a very solid pliers and set of tools, but no hassles about locking knives. (Of course, I still do not try to carry it on flights -- TSA and their Euro equivalents could toss it out simply for being a tool, even without a knife. But I like to know that I am in compliance with local knife laws when I am a guest in foreign countries.)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebar is the Leatherman I actually carry with me. It has the essential tools I need and is light enough to carry. My favorite though is the Core which is basically a larger version without the replaceable wire cutters. If I need a full tool kit, I have the Surge. If I need scissors on a lighter tool, I have a Blast. I still have an original PST.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw that MD2 with the Fury/6PX tailcap & thought what trickery is this since that combo never worked for me. Turns out it does work but only with with 2xcr123s. No 18650s with that tailcap since its too long. What a shame because those SF tailcaps are excellent.

No experience with multi tools other then Victorinox sorry.

chip100t

Enlightened
A carried a wave for work for years. Built like a tank,
I wish I could carry one legally when not at work.

I do keep a bladeless rebar in my bag.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a bad experience with the Wave. The scissors handle broke off the first week. The tool wouldn't close completely and snapped it off. The ruler counts from 4+ inches and up on both handles because they used the wrong part making it. I think one of the handles (the side they didn't include) was supposed to have an indent for the scissors handle which would have kept it from breaking. Recently sent it in under warranty. Cost me nearly $20 in shipping. Still waiting to get it back. If it didn't have these defects, it would have been a great tool.

linc90

Newly Enlightened
Huh in 20 years I've never seen a leatherman assembled wrong weird. I've carried the wave daily for 15 years, it gets a lot of use on my pineapple farm (Australia) and a hard life. It's been repaired 3 times and one time fully replaced by leatherman. For me it's a tool I can't seem to do without. A lot of my friends and family used to carry leatherman's mostly waves. Most got bored of carrying them, now only a few of us do.

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
I"ve been carrying for the last 20+ years a Leatherman SuperTool 200 in my backpack, along with its Tool Adapter and a small selection of hex bits.

On my keychain, I carry a Leatherman Micra. The Micra solves ~90% of my quick needs, and when I something more complex turns up, more often than not I end up going for my traditional tools than bringing out the SuperTool. But I keep carrying it in my backpack anyway in case of a away-from-home emergency where the Micra won't be enough. Hasn't happened yet, but it's comforting to know the SuperTool is there.

Re: TSA etc, it's a PITA having to remove both the SuperTool *and* the Micra from my person and pack them into a checked bag every time before I board a plane. Once I forgot and almost had to forfeit the Micra in order not to miss my flight, was saved by the compassion of the checkpoint operator who offered to take it and store it in her personal locker until I was back from my trip. Wasn't able to thank her enough.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebar is a back-to-basic model unlike the modern Wave, Charge etc. models, which is why I bought one years ago. Didn't subject to much use though and hence it stays as mostly a shelf queen. However, I do occasionally take it out and relube it, because I know operation has been a little too "sticky" (tight when pulling out the tools). Would love to own the Supertool 300 (or Surge) but this 6" tool is way too heavy for daily mobility.

The type of lube also matters when conditioning your Leatherman tool. I do own a Micra as actual EDC for the past ~25 years and I've managed to keep it in good shape, except for the scissors blades which have become blunt (but that I don't know a way or resharpening them properly). I mainly use CorrosionX and Rem Oil for my Micra. For the Rebar however I believe the additional use of spray-type silicone lube may do a better job penetrating the joints, hinges etc. for slightly smoother operation in the long run.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Huh in 20 years I've never seen a leatherman assembled wrong weird. I've carried the wave daily for 15 years, it gets a lot of use on my pineapple farm (Australia) and a hard life. It's been repaired 3 times and one time fully replaced by leatherman. For me it's a tool I can't seem to do without. A lot of my friends and family used to carry leatherman's mostly waves. Most got bored of carrying them, now only a few of us do.

I got one once with an extra blade instead of the tool that would normally be in that spot.

tango44

Enlightened
I love my coyote Rebar and you are right it needs a "break-in period" to make it right.
I applied Lucas extreme duty CLP (what I use on my guns) and after a few days it more loose.
The Cerakote is holding fine after a year of use but my son gave me a Curl for Christmas and I was sold on the pocket clip and that's what I'm carrying right now!
Leatherman warranty will make it right for you if something happens to the tool in the next 25 years, so I guess this is why these are expensive...

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a bad experience with the Wave. The scissors handle broke off the first week. The tool wouldn't close completely and snapped it off. The ruler counts from 4+ inches and up on both handles because they used the wrong part making it. I think one of the handles (the side they didn't include) was supposed to have an indent for the scissors handle which would have kept it from breaking. Recently sent it in under warranty. Cost me nearly $20 in shipping. Still waiting to get it back. If it didn't have these defects, it would have been a great tool.
Got it back yesterday. They replaced the scissors, but didn't do anything about the ruler which would have required changing out one of the handles. Other than having a messed up ruler, everything is functional now. I gifted it to my sister. She'll get good use out of it. I still have a Surge, a Core, a Rebar, 2 Blasts, and a Micra to cover my needs.

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
I do own a Micra as actual EDC for the past ~25 years and I've managed to keep it in good shape, except for the scissors blades which have become blunt (but that I don't know a way or resharpening them properly).

I resharp my Micra scissors at cutlery shops every couple of years, cost is very low and they usually have both the tools and the expertise to do it properly (but make sure to go to one well recommended).

I mainly use CorrosionX and Rem Oil for my Micra.

First time I hear of those products. Here I've been using the classic WD40, are they significantly better? In what aspects?

fulee9999

Enlightened
well, quick update, I've already broken one of the tools and the tip of the main blade... not happy.

1656086627123.png

if this is the ususal Leatherman quality, people will loose their s..t when they learn about Victorinox...

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
would that cover this type of damage?
I guess it's going to depend on how large was the battle tank that you ran over it to damage it so badly :)

Seriously, this is a great opportunity to check whether their warranty service took so deep a dive as the quality and robustness of their product apparently did. So please, do contact them and try to have it fixed under warranty, and then please let us know here how it went.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I guess it's going to depend on how large was the battle tank that you ran over it to damage it so badly :)

Seriously, this is a great opportunity to check whether their warranty service took so deep a dive as the quality and robustness of their product apparently did. So please, do contact them and try to have it fixed under warranty, and then please let us know here how it went.

this is the annoying part, the blade tip broke off while I was cutting silicone caulk.. I was pretty pissed off, but I had a job to do so I carried on.
The screwdiver broke off when I tried to pry two pieces of floor board held together by a single 25mm nail.. I pushed the screwdriver in, tried to wiggle it a bit, and heard a snap, raised the tool to my face and just sat there dumbfounded for a good minute or two.

well, I'll try the warranty then on monday, see what they'll have to say about it

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
this is the annoying part, the blade tip broke off while I was cutting silicone caulk.. I was pretty pissed off, but I had a job to do so I carried on.
The screwdiver broke off when I tried to pry two pieces of floor board held together by a single 25mm nail.. I pushed the screwdriver in, tried to wiggle it a bit, and heard a snap, raised the tool to my face and just sat there dumbfounded for a good minute or two.

This is pretty damning, and IMO should not in any way or form allow them to void your warranty or otherwise refuse to replace/repair it for free.

Please keep us posted, I really hope (for the sake of their own reputation) that Leatherman treats you properly.

linc90

Newly Enlightened
In my experience leatherman will repair it no problem and no questions asked. I've had them replace entire tools if there is enough damage to them.