LED downlight with dim to warm starting at 4000k?

ManOnMission

Hi All-

New to the forums, found you all because I'm on a quest for a residential downlight that appears to be a unicorn of sorts. I'm trying to find a flangeless (trimless) LED downlight that warms the color temperature when dimming, but that starts at 4000k with no dim - NOT 3000k.

The other features of the light are pretty pedestrian; round, white, fixed (not adjustable) with flood beam. It's the trimless and warm dim starting at 4000k that seem to be combo that I can't find.

I've looked at WAC, Tech and Alcon and only found starting temps of 3000k. For the Zaneen Bioniq line I can't find documentation of where their warm dim color temperature starts at.

What's frustrating is that I've found press releases / marketing material for the makers of the LED PCBs intended to be integrated into luminaries that list warm dim specs of 4000k to 2700k - which is perfect! But I'm striking out on finding products suitable for a residential install that actually use those boards.

Any leads would be much appreciated, I've done the rounds with my local specialty lighting supply companies and big online vendors.

Dave_H

I am not sure this is what you are looking for closely enough but will throw it in.

I picked up a couple of A19/E26 60W equivalent (9W) dim-tint-changing bulbs which start at 5000K (but not 4000K) at full brightness, going down as low as 2000K. It's called Globe Duo Bright 33229, available in Canada and elsewhere I presume.

For this you'd probably need a pot light with E26 socket, sufficiently deep, no experience with these.

Dave

I notice they have flush mount and recessed versions as well:

Last edited:

idleprocess

4000K is a color temperature that major OEMs experimented with several years ago and the market largely rejected, settling into the present 5000/3000/2700 slots - much to my disappointment since I find 4000K easier on the eyes than 5000K without the penalty to concentration and visual focus that 3000K and especially 2700K extract.

Dave_H

I did some dimmer tests on this bulb starting with inline slide dimmer. 5000k to 3000K transition occurs in the top 10% of dimmer range which allows tint selection with minimal effect on brightness, though it is somewhat touchy; and it restricts tint/brightness control range.

Not sure how this compares to other bulbs or fixtures of this type.

I also tried a 3-stage touch dimmer module (got a bunch of these cheap) with pleasant results. High/Medium gave 5000K and something appearing close to 4000K at high brightness, and Low gave a dull soft orange which is great for night-light. It just worked out this way.

Dave