LED headlight for around-the-house and light camping

decoherent

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm looking for a general-purpose type of headlight to replace my older one, which is finally starting to fail. I tried skimming the past few pages of posts, but frankly it's a little overwhelming! I've sort of edited the question list down for readability:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? Online

2) Budget: $50-75 or so

3) Format: I want a self-contained headlamp. Detach-ability isn't really something I want, I always have a regular flashlight on me.

4) Size: Small-ish - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source: LED

6) Manufacturer: I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
AAA/AA format preferred; rechargeable NiMH generally, maybe lithium primary as a backup. Not a USB rechargeable.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
"Confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area" (60-150 lumens), but I'd also like a very low eco mode (<10 lumens). Burst mode is fine but unnecessary.

9) Flood vs Throw: All Flood, Wide Flood

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light:
Generally between 1-5 meters. A longer distance mode would be fine, but not really necessary.

10) Runtime: 60-90 minutes in "standard" brightness, hopefully much longer in low

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Somewhat Important (this won't likely ever be my only light source).

12) Switch Size, UI, Material: I don't care

15) Water resistance: IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions: In house

What I need is something that's usually for around-the-house type of stuff (working on the car, attic, etc.) that'll be reliable, without getting carried away :) I also do some camping a few times a year and I'm often up late reading, so a very low-power level would also be nice. I own a couple Fenix lights and like them, so I was just going to order a HL-30, but then I started to wonder if there's other brands that might make a better product, and fell down a rabbit hole that led here! Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

decoherent

Newly Enlightened
Have you checked out zebralight?
Russ

Do you mean something like the H52f? I'm really hesitant about that style of light- I don't have any need to detach and use the light as a standalone, and I'm concerned that the off-center light on my head would drive me crazy :/

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any of the Petzl headlamps catch your eye, perhaps the simple classic lineup?

I have a Petzl Tikkina 3AAA (older 80L model) I use/pack it fairly regular. They are very simple yet very reliable brand with very simple clicky interface that anyone can operate. What I like about them is that they are direct drive, meaning that they won't suddently go out and leave you in the dark. The prices are also very good dollar value starting at $17 USD. See Tikkina performance specs below:

Lighting technologyBrightnessLighting distanceBurn time
MAX AUTONOMY5 lm10 m220 h
STANDARD100 lm40 m60 h
MAX POWER150 lm55 m

MX421

Enlightened
Do you mean something like the H52f? I'm really hesitant about that style of light- I don't have any need to detach and use the light as a standalone, and I'm concerned that the off-center light on my head would drive me crazy :/
Regardless of the detachment/standalone benefit, Zebralights are very good lights. If you want pure flood (no hotspot), i'd recomend a H503c. Perhaps the hotspot not being present will offset the OCD of having it not "centered". I've never had an issue with the light being offcenter, thus I'd suggest a H53c, since the lessor power of the AA would preclude having the option to focus the light in the "hotspot" (or diffusing it with tape or other diffuser material.

Fenix also has some good headlamps, but i've got no experience with their AA models.