LED Lanser When ?

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
I really hope LED Lenser will read this post but my main Q here is "When is LED Lenser going to release a torch thar will take/accept CR123 type batts, this means normal CR123s and RCR 123's as well.
My current "favourite" torch is a Led Lenser M1 which I was given last week as a gift from my boss.

It uses a single CR123 and the main reason it is my fave is only because of the quick focus lens. It's an extremely versatile light... but not really in the same league quality wise as my Fenix PD30 and Jetbeam RRT-2 :)

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Not really.

You want Bright & Cheap? Hell, there are No-Name brands from China that can pull off that trick. (And for a helluva lot less than $40.)

Name me one "no-name brand light for a helluva lot less than $40" that will out-throw the LL 7736, and link beamshots to prove it. Can't do it, can ya'?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LL P7 is designed so it has a poor thermal path to outer shell, so the led easily overheats.
This has been prevented by using a power source that limits the output.

The thermal path on the P7 and P14 is very robust, and more than sufficient. LL recommends a power source which limits output, not to prevent overheating a poorly heatsinked LED, but because they can rely upon the alkaline's inherently higher internal resistance to drive their flashlights in direct drive mode safely. Please pull your "facts" out of a different hat, please.

As far as using NiMH in LL lights, I am not going to lose sleep over a 50,000 hour LED possibly having it's life reduced by some percentage.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I've never seen a thread about overheating LED's or fried LED's associated with LL lights. This leads me to believe that some people absolutely do not know what they are talking about, and have to make things up in order to discredit a product they have no experience with (this thread is a good example). LL gets flamed more than no name lights, truly unbelievable!!
It will never end as long as Led Lenser is still in business.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Name me one "no-name brand light for a helluva lot less than $40" that will out-throw the LL 7736, and link beamshots to prove it. Can't do it, can ya'?

LOL !

You're right! I absolutely can't give you the name of a single "No Name" brand based in China that can out-throw the LL 7736. You got me there!

:crackup:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is really not a big challenge. How much lux has LL 7736? 5k, 10k? Quite a lot of cheap DX flashlights can beat that.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That is really not a big challenge. How much lux has LL 7736? 5k, 10k? Quite a lot of cheap DX flashlights can beat that.

:oops:

I thought he was joking. Now I see that perhaps that's not the case.

You're right, by the way.

Thanks for the assist.

SureAddicted

Enlightened

You just proved my point, lol...congratulations.
How can you be so sure that DX lights can beat a LL 7736 if you don't even know how much lux the 7736 has? Unbelievable!!

utlgoa

Enlightened
I've never seen a thread about overheating LED's or fried LED's associated with LL lights. This leads me to believe that some people absolutely do not know what they are talking about, and have to make things up in order to discredit a product they have no experience with (this thread is a good example). LL gets flamed more than no name lights, truly unbelievable!!
It will never end as long as Led Lenser is still in business.

That's what happenens when "You're King of The Hill" (Led Lenser).

Everyone wants to push you off!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's what happenens when "You're King of The Hill" (Led Lenser).

Everyone wants to push you off!

Okay, now that's funny. I'm sorry, but it is.

That title can be applied to a number of companies for a variety of reasons:

SureFire = Durability, extreme reliability.
Maglite = Been around for decades. Everyone has heard of them.
Streamlight = Well-known and respected in the LEO community.
Fenix = Sheer value for the dollar with great build-quality.

But LL as King of the Hill?? Really? First time I've ever seen an LL fan go THAT far. I've owned LL products in the past. I'm down to one. Gave one away. The rest failed on me. Failed miserably.

King of the hill? . . . If all the other companies are over by the mountain on the next ridge.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Mono, your starting to sound like a troll. You don't bring anything constructive to the thread, and now your disrespecting others opinion. That isn't the CPF way. You need to get over it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Mono, your starting to sound like a troll. You don't bring anything constructive to the thread, and now your disrespecting others opinion. That isn't the CPF way. You need to get over it.

No offense, but I'm not the one getting upset here. Let me clarify.

A person cannot make a blanket statement such as "King of the Hill," and not expect to get called on it. Especially when applied to a company that clearly is not. Now I've never posted that Coast/LED Lenser is absolute garbage. They're not. But they're also not King of the Hill or Top Dog.

As previously mentioned, I have experience with several LL lights. Honestly, I have not encountered another brand whose products repeatedly failed on me. I gave one away, no clue what became of it. As for my Coast Recon model, I never use it. I still have it. I just never use it. In all honesty, I'm worried it might fail on me as well.

There are other issues too. One is in terms of value. Simply put, you can find better quality lights from other companies that will cost you less money. Depending on the specific models mentioned, sometimes quite a bit less. Especially if the discussion concerns LL models with fragile battery-holders.

Another major issue is that LL optimizes their lights for use with alkies. The worst battery chemistry out there. The claim that many LL buyers are part of the general public, and thus mainly use alkies is a valid one. However, when the rest of your competitors make lights that work well with rechargeable cells and even lithium AA or AAA primaries, well; that's called being behind the times. While many CPFers have used rechargeables in their LL lights, it doesn't change the fact that the company itself doesn't recommend their use. And perhaps I've missed it, but I don't recall too many CPFers being willing to use E2 lithium primaries in their LL lights.

Now you've made it clear that LL is one of your favorite brands. And that's perfectly fine. But it's getting to the point where you seem to believe that it's the greatest brand out there. And if anyone disagrees with you, you seem to take it personally. Honestly, there are problems with LL. And when someone who has experience with the brand points out those issues, it's not a personal attack on you. LL is simply not the best brand out there, for the reasons highlighted above. I'm sorry that it clearly bothers you when someone points out those legitimate issues. Honestly, you need to get over it.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You know, the Lowes near the medical institute where I'm currently studying has the LED Lenser T7 model in stock. Noticed it a handful of days ago. It's been about 4 years since I've purchased an LL light. Not sure if things have improved. But I'm willing to give LL another chance. Money is currently a bit tight. But I'm going to buy their T7 model. EDC it. And report back on how it holds up over the next several weeks. I don't abuse my lights. But I don't baby them either.

Honestly, the T7 is a good-looking light. And part of me considered buying it anyway. (Based on looks.) I'll see how it holds up, how it performs, and write a mini review in a few weeks.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
A person cannot make a blanket statement such as "King of the Hill," and not expect to get called on it. Especially when applied to a company that clearly is not. Now I've never posted that Coast/LED Lenser is absolute garbage. They're not. But they're also not King of the Hill or Top Dog.

You know what Mono, I agree with you. I seriously do. Having said that, it's still his opinion and he is entitled to it no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

Now you've made it clear that LL is one of your favorite brands. And that's perfectly fine. But it's getting to the point where you seem to believe that it's the greatest brand out there. And if anyone disagrees with you, you seem to take it personally.

Actually no. LL is not one of my fave brands. My faves would be Ra, SF, Polarion, FM. I just don't like seeing a company get a bad rap when they don't deserve it. I do like some LL lights, they bring something different to the market.
What I can't stand is members making outrageous claims and not being able to back it up, that irks me.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
With LL, it's a love or hate relationship. If it were me, I'd borrow one, or play around with one before you lay your cash down. If lowes do refunds, I guess it won't hurt, but I'd still want to get a feeling for one before laying down your dollars.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You know what Mono, I agree with you. I seriously do. Having said that, it's still his opinion and he is entitled to it no matter how ridiculous it sounds. . .

. . . I just don't like seeing a company get a bad rap when they don't deserve it. I do like some LL lights, they bring something different to the market.

What I can't stand is members making outrageous claims and not being able to back it up, that irks me.

Yes, he's fully entitled to it. I agree with that. At the same time, it would be helpful if he posted reasons why he felt that way. Certainly he doesn't have to. But it would make for a better discussion.

I also agree with you about a company getting a bad rap. Are there some folks who simply parrot someone else's negative experiences? Sadly, yes. However, mine were all from first-hand experience. That's all that we can as individuals go by. Honestly, I cannot post pics of my D.O.A. LL lights. I can only give my word, and hope that folks realize I don't have a reputation for making outragious claims. It's like trying to prove you had a good time with a hot date last night. Your friends want proof.

"Well, if I whipped out a camera I don't think she'd be too happy with me."

That sort of thing.

Thanks for the advice about trying out a light first. I won't be able to do that in this particular case. All I can do with the LL blister pack is test to be sure the LED works. Oh well, if it turns out to be decent; I'll likely give it away to my dad. He visits from the Old Country every year. For some odd reason, he chose to standardize on AAA lights. I think he'd like the T7.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just proved my point, lol...congratulations.
How can you be so sure that DX lights can beat a LL 7736 if you don't even know how much lux the 7736 has? Unbelievable!!

Personally I have handled and measured hundreds of lights, including some led-lensers (P7, T7, P5, M1, M5...). So I have pretty good idea about the performance of a light with a collimator of that size.

Btw. how can you be so sure that DX lights can not beat LL 7736? :nana:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re LL 7736.
Is this the light?
I have one of their 1.25W (3xAAA) tactical lights (model 7736) and I have been very pleased with it so far. It hasn't seen much use yet so I can't speak to its long-term reliability. To me it seems fairly well-made.
I checked ledlenserusa and found a 7736D listed now with 5 white LEDs. Also 3*AAA.

3AAA lights are much frowned upon in CPF because the batteries have enough voltage to direct drive the LEDs so the manufacturer can skimp on a driver and make the torch cheaper.
This direct drive means the output is constantly dropping as alkaline or carbon zinc batteries wear down. Even when used with NiMH with their relatively flat output the lack of proper heatsinking often result in a runtime graph that looks like this.
Kai130lumen3AAAruntime.gif

In the quote I found cbdudley mentioned his LL7736 is 1.25W.
DX sells the Aurora SH40 which was measured at 5A and 3.6V into the SST-50 LED. 5A*3.6V = 18W or 14X the power.

While a LL 7736 is much brighter than a 2AA/2D plastic incan at the discount stores, it is nowhere near the the brightest around.

-----

Back to LED Lenser in general.
LED Lenser is a mass market torch seller like Maglite, Energizer, Duracell etc.
You don't see Maglite, Energizer, Duracell sell many CR123A torches either.
-
Maglites are terribly expensive down under where the OP lives.
Those 2AA/2D plastic torches are considered 'crap'.
So torch sellers push LED Lenser as the greatest.

LED lensers don't sell in the USA where there are a lot more quality torches around - Surefire, Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Pelican, Maglites at reasonable prices and I have not gotten to the quality Chinese/Chinese American brands yet - Fenix, 4sevens, Olight, Lumapower, Eagletac, Wolf-eyes, Zebralight, Dereelight, MG, ITP, Romisen, Aurora etc.
Against that kind of competition LED Lenser just can't make it.

Latest posts