LED Lenser 5450 Double Barrel Nichia/Luxeon headlamp. Anyone tried one?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked one of these http://www.quality-items-flashlight...ble-Barrel-Luxeon----Nichia-LED-Headlamp.html out at the Gander Mountain store in Terre Haute, IN last night. It looks cool, runs on 3AAA batteries and even comes with three extra batteries just in case the three that are in the light for demo purposes are depleted from people trying them out.

Things I liked during my demo:
1. Looks cool.
2. Luxeon light seems very bright, large spot.
3. Separate buttons for the Nichia and the Lux barrels.
4. Operates on standard batteries.

Things I didn't like:
1. Both lights seemed too focused with too little spill. The Nichia had the lens that makes the beam look like a moon. I find this to bee a poor beam choice for close up work and reading because it's too narrow. The Luxeon light had a much broader spot and more spill, but it was difficult to evaluate well in the store lighting and the light still in the plastic package.
2. Expensive at $52.

Has anyone tried one of these out in real world conditions?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen anything really good comming from LED Lenser. Their runtime and output claims have been inflated way too much and most of their lights are not waterproof.
If it doesn't claim regulation it will most probably not be regulated and will be less usefull.
I would go with Princeton tec (Apex, EOS or Yukon HL), Pelican (2630) or Black Diamond if I was in need of a headlamp.

Sverre

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have got the "single barrel" version of this headlamps and it sucks !
Water can flow in and out, no regulation, no spill, feels flimsy, battery case is weak, ...

Unless they have improved the design considerably I'd stay away from this one.

bernie

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but the double barrel does look cool LOL! At least it uses common batteries. I considered buying it, but I want the close up / dimmer light to be more floody.

attowatt

Enlightened
LightObsession said:
Anybody tried these yet?
I would be afraid that I might slip and fall with this "double barrel on my head... and then be impaled with it:crackup:

Its bad enough when I nick myself shaving... I now have 2 cuts from the double razor.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like being negative too often but agree that this brand is not, usually, a good value. I've not been impressed too many of their products or quality vs. cost. YMMV, however, and that's quite alright as we each have differing preferences and needs.