LED logic Sriker-VG to XR7090

Mr Jones

Newly Enlightened
Hello - First post & I'm pleseantly overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge here

I wanted to find out if modding my VG with one of these at all do-able :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280134507778&rd=1&rd=1

- If so, would anybody be kind enough to walk me through the process if they have a spare moment ?

I beleive one of these chips was in the Fenix P1D that I reciently fell in love with- lent it to my wife to take to the Glastonbury Festival here in the UK & she lost it in the mud. - Unbelievable.

Mr Jones

Newly Enlightened
or even a SSC U bin..-

-will the stock driver board need to be changed if I upgrade the emmiter?

Any thoughts greatfully received

James

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You'll have to use the Seoul, it has a much closer emitting pattern compared to the Luxeon, the Cree has a much narrower emitting pattern. When you get the Seoul I think you just have to change the emitter. What till the more experienced people share their thought before modding. Or you could but one at Batteryjunction(link).

Welcome to CPF!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just an emitter swap. MilySpit modded mine to SSC. No change to the driver board and I chose to keep the stock optic. It is brighter and has a larger hot spot now.

I recommend the upgrade.

Mr Jones

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the encoragement, I shall hold fire and await further advice.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Jones,

Do yourself a favor, and spend a few dollars to get a Seoul LED from PhotonFanatic, in the dealer section. He usually has a few different tints in stock; VO, WO and XO. They are warm white to a cooler white, respectively. They have a lower voltage requirement (Vf) than the LED's sold by discount vendors. Lower Vf = more lumens at the same current.

Enjoy!

datiLED

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok will check out - thanks for the tip.

I've found this on evilbay in the uk from the same chap who was selling the Cree.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Cant see any info about Vf's though. Hmm what to do..

Use the Seoul. Gunner12 said it well:

Gunner12 said:
You'll have to use the Seoul, it has a much closer emitting pattern compared to the Luxeon, the Cree has a much narrower emitting pattern.

It is not exactly a direct swap. The Seoul needs to have it's base isolated, and a small 0.030" shim needs to be installed under the base (where the original LED was). The reflector then needs to have 0.030" removed from the back. This situates the Seoul (upward) in the same position as the original Luxeon for the best performance. The die height differs between a Seoul and Luxeon, so the shim/reflector mod accounts for this difference. It is also a good Idea to use some Kapton tape on the back of the reflector, as cheap insurance against accidental shorts.

datiLED

Latest posts