LEO looking for a new duty light

matt4350

Enlightened
I've been using the SX25L2 for a year or so, it's pretty hard to fault it. It's been dropped, got wet, thrown around in the car and haven't had a problem. Love the UI and the charging port and it's plenty bright with a good range for this type of work.

So, I know I'm a bit late to this game here. But, as a recommendation from someone whose been for a perfect duty light for a couple of years, your may want to check out the Eagletac GX25L2.

Rechargeable, can use 18650s or CR123s if you're need to hot swap, momentary only electronic switch that also does constant on. I have never mixed it up under stress either. Easily accessed strobe, just wish your didn't have to hold the button down. Long runtime for the output. Solid throw (2 football fields to identifying a person). Good flood as well. Stream light Stinger size and shape.

I've found that 1000 lumens at 20k to 25k lux is just about perfect for a duty light. It's intense enough to reach a good distance and it still floods enough to search close areas.

So, any light with output around there will be a solid choice I think. The Eagletac just seemed the best of all the features to me. Though, sometimes I wish I'd gotten the SX25L2 just for the extra punch and runtime.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too recommend the eagletac SX25L2T as a good search light/scene use light. As I had mine unexplainably quite working one night I would not use it as my primary light on my belt. Eagletac did repair for no charge under warranty but its still the what if thought when using it that keeps it from being my primary light. i love my Fenix e21 and tk45 and would recommend fenix right up there at the top of the list.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3LT-S CombatLight®
Ultra-High Dual-Output LED With Strobe

lf money is not a problem.. and you plan on carrying the light on your duty belt i'd with the surefire M3LT-S

fits your need perfectly and it's a great light...for waterproofness of surefires, most of the times you can put another o-ring next to the existing one and it will seal the light pretty well.

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronco1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for all of the input, it has helped me a lot! The eagletac light recommended appears to fit my needs, too. I can't say I've ever heard about that company until I discovered this forum. The UI for the GX25L2 seems pretty simple, too, which is important for me. The one thing that I didn't like about the T20CS was the complex UI.

I received my P3X in the mail today, posted a picture of it on the knives and lights thread. So far, I'm impressed. Love the dual output UI, the tint is a nice color (just a hint of yellowish green in the corona), and it feels solid in the hand. The only thing I wish it had, and this may seem stupid, is knurling in the handle. I feel this would add more traction, making the light more "grippy". Other than that small gripe I have, the light seems very nice so far. Flippo, I'll have to give that light a chance too (M3LT-S) as I've only heard good things about it. Now that I'm confident surefire lights are fine in the event they are submerged in shallow water, I'm more inclined to continue my purchasing of SF lights.

Again, thank you all for the advice and input. It means a lot! I'll be sure to update you all on how the P3X performs at work in the coming weeks.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the new light. It will be good to hear what you think about it after using it for a while.

I agree that knurling would be nice and I hope we see that become reality on the P3X someday. There was a hint of this coming at 2014 Shot Show but no news since then. For what it's worth, the added length of the P3X does give it an advantage over the shorter P2X just because there is more to hold on to.

I didn't comment on the water issue earlier but I have a bunch of SureFire lights and have had zero problems with water ingress. I carry one nearly every day with the normal exposures to rain, splashing water, etc. and just about every light I review gets a "bath" in the sink. SureFire has typically not rated the output/runtime of their lights according to the ANSI standards which (I think) keeps them from using the IPX ratings for water resistance. However, it appears this may be changing in the future.

Eldiablojoe

Newly Enlightened
You *could* customize the knurling cheaply and easily by either wrapping it with a bunch of rubber bands, or using zip ties to form knurling. Just a cheap, easy thought....

Thank you guys for all of the input, it has helped me a lot! The eagletac light recommended appears to fit my needs, too. I can't say I've ever heard about that company until I discovered this forum. The UI for the GX25L2 seems pretty simple, too, which is important for me. The one thing that I didn't like about the T20CS was the complex UI.

I received my P3X in the mail today, posted a picture of it on the knives and lights thread. So far, I'm impressed. Love the dual output UI, the tint is a nice color (just a hint of yellowish green in the corona), and it feels solid in the hand. The only thing I wish it had, and this may seem stupid, is knurling in the handle. I feel this would add more traction, making the light more "grippy". Other than that small gripe I have, the light seems very nice so far. Flippo, I'll have to give that light a chance too (M3LT-S) as I've only heard good things about it. Now that I'm confident surefire lights are fine in the event they are submerged in shallow water, I'm more inclined to continue my purchasing of SF lights.

Again, thank you all for the advice and input. It means a lot! I'll be sure to update you all on how the P3X performs at work in the coming weeks.

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
If it were me and I was somewhere like that, I'd rock a surefire m3lt. I don't care for the fury series and I already own the streamlight protac hl3, not bad but I like the surefire fit and finish better. A lot of guys here use the Streamligjt protac hl3 and I haven't heard a bad thing yet.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
You *could* customize the knurling cheaply and easily by either wrapping it with a bunch of rubber bands, or using zip ties to form knurling. Just a cheap, easy thought....

Or maybe use surefire combat/tactival rings. They give you something more to grasp!