mash.m

Enlightened
Re: Let´s go military - 1D with 5xMC-E + 2xR2

i use a saft lion d size cell with 5500mA/h satf vl 34570

markus

mash.m

Enlightened

I'd love to see how you drive all those emitters, and still fit it behind the heatsink!!

Great Job!

to get a high gate voltage for teh second driver i used this driver to boost:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7880
i replaced one feetbackresistor to get 10volts output. input can be variable from 1.5 volts to 5 volts.

i used this pwm driver:
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1845
as output stage (second). modified with a big fet.

this setup did not get warm at any time. also the fet. it doesn´t need cooling or a heatsink.

markus

moviles

Enlightened

nice mod :goodjob:
what size stars? max current battery?

the next step if you want get the world record forever of luminous power in this size its remove the mc-e and put 5 x ssr-90 and remove the cree XR-E ez1000 bin r2 and put 2 x SSR-50:crackup:

edit: max current battery its only 11amp http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Do...0209.064c8208-d534-4424-9bb1-40fdb35071ca.pdf :sick2:.the 26650 a123 sistems batterys can draw 70 amp...... but only 3.3v!!!:rant:......:crackup:

Last edited:

mash.m

Enlightened

hi,

here now some beamshots. they are not so good, cause i used no tripod - had not enought time...

controll:
4swf-6e.jpg

sports complex about 300 feet away:
4swf-6c.jpg

tree and old barn about 150 feet away:
4swf-6d.jpg

and some snails - 2 feet away - look at the great colour rendition:
4swf-6f.jpg

this flashlight is my absolute favorite. small form factor, extreme bright and the high cri gives the rest!

i will offer some detail pictures about the heatsink and the driver next days.

markus

mash.m

Enlightened

i think about that, but at these moment there are only bad bin´s out from the luminous chips.
the battery can constant 11 amps, but pulsed about 20 amps.i think it is no problem to go a little over the 11 amps for short time. with a fresh charged cell i get also a little over 11amps. the battery get not warm at all.

i used only the emitters without any star. i prefer this, cause the handling at this size is much easyer. when you use stars you must cut the edges and so on...

markus

nice mod :goodjob:
what size stars? max current battery?

the next step if you want get the world record forever of luminous power in this size its remove the mc-e and put 5 x ssr-90 and remove the cree XR-E ez1000 bin r2 and put 2 x SSR-50:crackup:

edit: max current battery its only 11amp http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Do...0209.064c8208-d534-4424-9bb1-40fdb35071ca.pdf :sick2:.the 26650 a123 sistems batterys can draw 70 amp...... but only 3.3v!!!:rant:......:crackup:

moviles

Enlightened

this flashlight is my absolute favorite. small form factor, extreme bright and the high cri gives the rest!

i will offer some detail pictures about the heatsink and the driver next days.

markus

nice pictures.

what model flashlight you use? were you buy it? inside pictures?diameter and total size?

the limit its only 11 amp........but I prefer 5 SST-90 underdriveds than 5 mc-e

nice mod,its really small form factor :goodjob:

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

right.

this one is absolute amazing. i didn´t know the my cam have such a good macro mode. good white balance to see the colourtemp. of the emitters:
4swf-6i.jpg

markus

Markus,

I think this shot should be your avatar. Crazy awesome build!!! And I thought my 3 x MCE was a challenge. You just raised the bar my friend!

So it looks like ss Mcr16 reflectors fit MCE nicely. How's the throw? It's hard to tell from pictures.

thanks,
Hill

mash.m

Enlightened

the throw ist good, you can´t see this on the pictures clearly. problem is that there is so much sidespill that the camera overexpose. if you underexpose then the far away throw/spot is to dark to see.

i got my d2flex yesterday. the new version 2.0 is capable to drive 10 amps continious. so i must not modify this great pwm driver. i make some tests and it get not warm at high level.
i have programed the driver to switch to level 3 when the heatsink get over 80°celsius to protect the led´s and hand that hold the flashlight :cool:

markus

blesbok

Newly Enlightened

Where did you find the saft D cell? Are these available in small quanties?

Thanks, Brent

mash.m

Enlightened

hi,

the saft cell are not available for private end-users. i have odered 3 samples at my work. it was not easy to get them...

markus

mash.m

Enlightened

some news: i have glued the d2flex direct unter the led heatsink so it can mesure the temperature of the heatsink directly. removed the fet from the pcb, cause when a fet get´s hot the internal resistance (Rds) will get higher.

in highest mode the light switches to a lower mode after 10 minutes. then the hole body is very warm and at the borderline to hold.

markus

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

small update...
i add some tritium (not shown on the picture), one SST-90 and modiefied the d2flex for the higher current. i added a fet taht is capable to driver more than 50amps:

5q6c-f.jpg

on these picture you can clearly see the color difference between the neutral white mc-e, the r2 and the very blueish sst-90.
with the mc-16 the sst produce a very smooth beem. the overall colour is still nice.
the current draw of this light is now more than 15 amps with a fresh emoli cell.

markus

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

on the last picture you can see the bad quality of these pre-production sst-90. the surface is a little bit unbalanced. on higher levels i can´t see this, but at the lowest mode it is clearly visible.

markus

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're a madman markus :eek:

Is there a bis visual difference in light output? It looks Awesome either way!

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

it seems slightly britgher with the sst and much more smooth, cause there is no donat hole. the sst works very fine with the bored up mcr-16.

markus