Light for an usher in a theater?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe something not exactly a flashlight, small palm-size light like the 3AAA Alpena VersaPod might work. It produces white or warm amber/orange light, more flood than beam. Unfortunately this one is a bit chunky, size/shape of an oversize bike rear light; and has no mode memory so has to cycle through other modes/white. White is fairly warm though. Probably something like it but more suitable is out there.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Coast lights have momentary push rear clicky which could be handy. G23 does, beam colour is cool, but not "angry blue". I'm waiting for a sale on it.

Another idea is orange or yellow LED light stick. RayOVac one has a right-angle white LED head, plus orange with a long diffuser, using separate buttons. Downside is it runs on button cells and it's a bit long.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2 AAA Mini Mag incandescent.
Or LED in spectrum warm.

Or Solitaire

Both put have output in the mid 30's lumen range.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_4869.jpeg

These 2D Eveready Comanders were once the flashlight ushers used. At $1.99 they were standard equipment with the usher vest from the days of yore.

TPA

Enlightened
View attachment 60823
These 2D Eveready Comanders were once the flashlight ushers used. At $1.99 they were standard equipment with the usher vest from the days of yore.
Sometime between that and the 2xAA Mag lights, there was some dreadful light which became the defacto standard. Incandescent, strangely shaped, non-user-replaceable battery. I believe it was a Duracell or Energizer brand. Does anyone remember them? I remember they had a picture of a firefighter on the packaging.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sometime between that and the 2xAA Mag lights, there was some dreadful light which became the defacto standard. Incandescent, strangely shaped, non-user-replaceable battery. I believe it was a Duracell or Energizer brand. Does anyone remember them? I remember they had a picture of a firefighter on the packaging.
What you're describing sounds exactly like the right-angle, old inca. Garrity Life Lite. It actually was popular with fire-fighters back in the day because it was inexpensive, and if inverted, could be taped two on a fire-fighter's helment. It was also popular in cheesy survival kits from back in the day. Garrity changed the design to an LED, and apparently that version is no longer useful for cutting through smoke.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those lights were pretty decent, the switch was more or less reliable, they were brighter than the typical 2D light and the cost about what you would pay for a pair of D cells. Everyready made them back then and I think someone is still making them under other brand names.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those lights were pretty decent, the switch was more or less reliable, they were brighter than the typical 2D light and the cost about what you would pay for a pair of D cells. Everyready made them back then and I think someone is still making them under other brand names.
Iirc mine was a Radio Shack one. Battery quits, toss it in the trash.

emac77

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix PD25R has a throwy beam, mode memory, and is 3.6" long, 2.6 oz weight. Runs on one cr123 or the included 16340 rechargeable

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may have gone thru a "few" of the Garrity lights, on my New Yorker (leather helmet), back in the day......

I've attached a picture, however this is not my New Yorker...

Attachments

• Leather helmet with Garfrity flashlight.jpg
    Leather helmet with Garfrity flashlight.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you're describing sounds exactly like the right-angle, old inca. Garrity Life Lite. It actually was popular with fire-fighters back in the day because it was inexpensive, and if inverted, could be taped two on a fire-fighter's helment.

You're close, what I used, and everyone I knew, was an inner tube that we would cut up, for a Garrity on one side and 2 door chock/sprinkler wedges on the other.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gifted one in the late 90s on my birthday. Boy was I disappointed when the battery finally died and it was to be thrown away. It seems disposable lights were popular during that decade. When I was even younger I remember asking the parents and people i knew for change to buy these little keychain rectangle squeeze lights from Eveready that were the size of a Bic from the IGA.

overload1

Newly Enlightened
My wife works as a volunteer in a local theater and needs a light that won't bother other patrons or the actors on stage.

The specific requirements:
Small and light, say 2.5 inches long and 2 oz.
Tight beam with minimum of spill - just needs to illuminate one step or a seat at a time.
Simple UI so no accidental strobe or thousand lumen blasts. Thinking a memory - last setting - is the ticket.
Primary output should be around 25 lumens, + or -. Objects to illuminate will be about 8-12 feet away.
Switch should be easy to operate - not worried about accidental turn-on.
Primary cell or rechargeable. If primary then CR123a, single AA, maybe two AAAs. If rechargeable then USB-C would be nice.
Right angle head?? I have a Spark headlight that almost fits the bill but they are no longer made and I would hate to give it up.

I have researched with out success - impossible?
Surefire E2O

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disposable lights of old are interesting but quaint, things have come a long way. I suspect OP would like something more compact, with easily replaceable cell(s). Maybe something with a right-angle head would work, can't make specific recommendation but still checking around. Still wondering how yellow/amber versus warm white would work out.

Dave

Latest posts