Light for trip to Costa Rica

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
she'll be living with a host family in costa rica. they dont speak a word of english apparently. She speaks pretty good spanish though. She will be going on a trek of some sort for a week or 2, so that should be interesting. The whole trip is chaperoned so I'm sure the group leaders will have big lights. I think that the tikka will probably be fine. I guess I just always plan for the worst and bring more gear then I think i'll need, but hey its paid off for me before I remember having a brandnew M3T and dropping it on the first night i used it outside in a complete power failure and beign in the dark so......
thanks for the advice. Oh an as for san jose, i just want her to know how to get to the embassy if need be.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want to send a fairly bright light to back up the Tikka, I'd send a PT Rage. They are cheap and pocket sized and use four AAA's. Include a 12-pack of spare AAA's and both lights should be well-covered. A 4AA light is cumbersome by comparison.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Cool. Sounds like her need for a kick-butt flashlight will be pretty limited. Her Tikka and/or any of the other AA lights will do for her shorter field trip unless she goes on a night hike.

Here's the US embassy in San Jose website. Office hours are 8-4:30.
Phone: (506) 519-2000
After Hours/Emergencies: (506) 220-3127

The embassy is in "Pavas", away from downtown San Jose. The best way to get to the embassy in San Jose is to take a cab. The only official taxis are red and have a big yellow triangle with license ID painted on the doors. Most have a yellow taxi light on the roof somewhere and must have a fare meter.

Hope she has fun!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the UK eLED that runs off 4AA's is a fine pick.

Several people I know rave about it. I have four myself. It's nice and flat so it can be jammed in a back pocket out of the way yet handy when needed.

Remember that old saying two is one, one is none.

GregR

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tikka will be ideal. I like the PT rage suggestion as a backup, a brighter alternative, and as a waterproof holder for a spare set of batteries for the Tikka.

Rainy season is May through November, so it sounds like she will be there during that. In most of CR she will see torrential downpours like she has never seen before. She might want to be prepared for that.

Also it was my experience that while the cabs had meters, the cabbies would not turn on the meter unless asked. They prefer to take you to your destination and then estimate how much money you have on you. But overall people are very nice and friendly there.