LiteFlux LF1 questions, feedback & suggestions

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
I'll post beamshots of stock vs IMS when my IMS eventually arrives here... estimate a week or two.

In the meantime, I like my LF1 more each day, and while my U2 is on vacation being bored out on a lathe for 18650's, this is my go-to light. I put a thick o-ring from some serviced scuba gear on my 1xaa configured LF1, forward of the silver ring, it makes cigar hold and momentary lo-hi excellent! Awesome light. I wll be travelling with it soon as well, the perfect travel light.

LED Cool

Enlightened
srvctec, the beam produced by the IMS 17mm has a slightly tighter & well defined hot spot. spill beam brightness and diameter is almost the same as the LF1 reflector. sorry, i do not have a digital camera to take a photo.

mbirds, we look forward to your IMS 17mm beam shots!!!

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys... I got my IMS today (quick!)... but I started to unscrew the refector retaing ring, and sort of shook it, and tightened the stock reflector back up and now it is PERFECTLY centered (wasn't *quite* perfect before). And looking at the IMS, it does not appear of higher quality than stock, and has a bigger hole, so I would like to leave well enough alone before I get dust in there or mess something up. The only difference is the shape of the reflector, but I have grown quite fond of my stock LF1...

Again, I apologize but I'm going to leave the stock reflector in there.

If anyone has an LED that is not quite centered, try loosening the retaining ring a ways with sharp tweezers per LEDcool's instructions, and shaking the head with lens face down on a smooth surface, and tighten back up. It is the reflector, not the LED. Really, mine was not that off, barely noticebale, and I see no difference in the beam, but those things can eat at a flashaholic. :grin2:

LED Cool

Enlightened
glad your LF1 now has a centered, more focused beam!:laughing:

the IMS 17mm deosn't make much difference to the beam quality except may be a slightly more focused and better defned hot spot.

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi bernie o,

in US, it is so easy to open a paypal account.and you do not even need a credit card! just a bank account will do!

cchurchi

Enlightened
Well, I followed Netkids instructions which allow you to run protected 14500 Li-ion cells, and it works beautifully. I also used the silver ring from the extension tube to fill in the gap in the front part of the screw on reflector that is created when you place the wire behind the led module, which pushes the reflector forward. So now the liteflux has both silver rings on the flashlight when using 1 AA battery. I used a 1.2 mm paper clip bent into a circle for the wire spacer. To insure that the magnetic button top does not move, I attached it to the battery using Ablebond 8290 silver filled conductive die attach epoxy. It is used in the semiconductor industry to attach microchips to the packages they are mounted to. Incredibly tough stuff with a resistance of only 0.008 ohms.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first saw that the LF1 wasn't compatible with protected 14500's, I passed on getting one. After seeing Netkids easy mod for using them, I picked one up over in B/S/T. To make a long story short, it arrived yesterday, and the mod took about two minutes to do. Also, I added an IMS17 reflector, and the beam is MUCH better than with the stock reflector! Slightly tighter focus, and much "cleaner" all around! IMHO, this light is AWESOME at this price! The HA has a truly "unique" feel, and I don't find the tail-switch to be too "mushy" at all. In order for this light to live up to it's potential, I think LIon cells are a MUST; the output on regular AA cells (alkaline and lithiums) isn't bad, but on LIon cells it's just plain IMPRESSIVE! The body of the light does get warm with protected 14500 cells, but not to the point of being uncomfortable to hold. I added a "modified" Gerber Infinity Ultra pocket clip, and (for now...) the LF1 has become my new EDC.

If you're on the fence about this one, I say "take the plunge"! The fact that it has a "true" clicky alone made me choose it over the L1T, and I have no regrets at all since getting it! VERY nice!!!

PJD

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Well, you convinced me to try the IMS. Here are two not-so great beamshots, the first is stock, the second is IMS. I put the stock reflector back on, my IMS looked messier.

Stock:

IMS:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tried the mod above using a wire around the LE so I could use my protected 14500. It works, but the switch got really warm in low mode when I had it on for 30 seconds or less. I would most likely use my LF1 (loaded with a 14500) in the low mode 90% of the time. Is this heat going to fry the switch assy. or not? What I suspect is happening is that the resistor for low is causing the heat because of the amount of current the 14500 puts out. I never noticed any heat at all in low or high using a 2700 mAh Nmh battery.

Anyone else using a Li-ion have this happen?

yekim

Enlightened
The tailcap heated up on me when I was running it on 3aa's on low. The resistor in it is a tiny little bugger. I have another that I swapped out the flushmount resister with a 1/4 watt 10 ohm one, but I don't have a spare tube anymore to test out if it over heats.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone making or planning to make a polymer version of this? Metal lights don't work for me as EDC as they scrape up plastic electronics placed next to them in the bag.

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi radellaf,

polymer version of LF1 is not practical in terms of heat dissipation.
you could store the LF1 in the included holster to protect your plastic electronics.

cchurchi

Enlightened
Well, I couldn't be happier with my Liteflux but I am wondering if spare parts are availble. LED COOL, could I buy a spare reflector and lens front assembly - the front of the flashlight that you unscrew to activate candle mode?

cchurchi

Enlightened
I would like the front bezel with the lens and reflector already attached.

LED Cool

Enlightened
:oops: ! i am sorry to say that i do not have the bezel for sale. what i have is just the reflector and lens.

may i ask why do you need the whole front bezel?

cchurchi

Enlightened
I was cave exploring with the light in candle mode and had the bezel in my front pocket. I had to climb through a small opening on my stomach and I bent the bezel. It is only slightly out of round but I would like the light to be perfect.

x2x3x2

Banned
Moved to BST.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133006

@ LED Cool
Yes i know there is a BST section. However i have seen other users posting to sell lights in related threads regarding the particular light models without any mods hunting them, so i didnt think it would be a problem here right? Anyway i have moved it since u are the thread starter, ill respect that.

Sorry im selling a little cheaper than yours, hope u dont mind.

Last edited: