LiteFlux LF1 questions, feedback & suggestions

vortechs

Enlightened
fnmag said:
Took my LF1 on a 4 week long cycle trip last month and only have good things to say about it. Enjoy both its brightness and ability to tailstand. The LF1 is unbeatable value especially when you factor in the 1AA and 2AA tubes which come with it new. Really like the 2 stage light with the low level being very useful.

I agree, the LF1 is a great light with some very nice features. I particularly liked the 2 stage brightness and the constant low level with momentary high by lightly pushing the switch.

LED Cool

Enlightened
vortechs said:
One interesting thing I noticed was that there were several times where I would pull out the LF1 and try to push on the end to turn it on, only to discover that I was accidently pushing on the lens rather than the tailcap end :ohgeez:. I suspect this tendancy will go away as I get more used to carrying the light in its 2AA configuration. The tubular design of the LF1 means that it is not 'instinctive' which end is the front, so you have to get used to which way you insert it into the holster and make it a habit.

hi vortechs,

i have included 2 thick rubber rings in every LF1 that i had sent out. i put one of them onto the middle of the 2AA extention tube to achieve a cigar grip. also with the ring installed, there is only one direction to insert the LF1 into the holster.

hopes this help you to differentiate the LF1's tail and bezel.

i am glad you like the light.

khoo

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
DragonFlame said:
Does anyone know, whether the resistor in tailcap can be replaced?
I am very tempted of getting an LF1 an running it with protected 14500 Li-ion-s. However, for the sake of versatility, I would like to be able to use the two stage output even with a 14500. As I understand it, the resistor in the original configuration is kind of getting cooked when dissipating the current of the 14500. Could it be replaced with a higher wattage one?

hi dragonflame,

the resistor in the tail cap is the SMT type, those tiny 1.5mm x 3mm type with a wording '3R3' printed on it. its wattage unknown. it could be replaced with a normal resistor as there is about 7mm of space between the clickie circuit board and a metal washer. i have not tried it but, personnaly i think it can be done, provided one is skilled at soldering.

so far we have not seen any post about this particular SMT resistor failing when the LF1 is ran using both unprotected or protected 14500.

one thing though, the 2 stage output of the LiteFluxLF1 does work when running on unprotected AND protected 14500.

when running on protected 14500, one has to raise the LED module (see post#14 of this thread) to allow for the extra length of the protected 14500 battery.

i would say that the LiteFlux LF1 is currently the only AA light (under US$55.00 shipped) which can run both unprotected and protected 14500 (with simple mod) while still offering 2 stage output. and it even comes with the 2AA extention tube free! :whistle:

thanks.
khoo

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the 14500 mod I strongly suggest using 0.8 mm silver wire between the led pill and the body, this way you get maximum conductivity and corrosion resistance. Galvanic corrosion is common when you mix different metals like aluminum and copper. In this case the aluminum in the light could be damaged. Using silver (or silver plated copper wire) will make your light a bit brighter and you don't have to worry about corrosion damage. This diameter (0.8 mm) is perfect if you plan to use the decorative ring from the extender tube between the bezel and the body, you will get a nicer spot and there is no way the reflector can reach too low and damage itself or the led assembly. I'm using this on my two lights and it works perfectly with protected 14500 LiIon cells from AW, and there will be less battery rattle when you use alkaline or rehargable cells. Use 0.8 mm 925 sterling silver or equivalent, this will make a differance compared with lowgrade metal from paperclips/wire. I found silver wire in a hobby store specializing in handcrafting, can probably also be obtained from a jeweller etc.

Last edited:

Marlite

Enlightened
srvctec said:
Fantastic light! It's the purest white of all my LED lights. Doesn't work with protected 14500s, (I did see the fix above in this thread) but that's OK since I'm going to be using Nimh 2700 mah batteries in mine anyway. It is going to replace my modded Fenix L1P as my main EDC with my JetBeam original version as my backup.
Hi srvctec

Always have to peek to spell your nom de plume.
Nice asssessment and reasoning srvctec, your post whetted my interest. Since we both have the JetBeam I, I want to ask why, when the Lip was your EDC and JetBeam was the backup and the Liteflux now becomes your EDC and JetBeam I is still the backup howcum the Lip got benched? Is it due to the better brightness and whiteness of the JetBeam I?

Also, I was going for the Jet 2AA tube and 2 stage tailcap extras for approx $35.00 but for $20.00 more I get the 2 stage plus the 2AA tube and the rest of the goodies too. Ya know the CPF motto buy both! I would like you and Vortechs to respond as I value your judgements and you both have the JetBeam I. Your considered opinions would be appreciated. $48.00 orig. cost + $30.00 = $78.00 v/s $54.95 for the Liteflux.

LED Cool please pipe up too as can other JetBeam I owners that have this Liteflux too. LED Cool could have the reflector available for the extra $5. or have Liteflux factory install for maximum competitiveness. CPF has the brightest lights and our young members are smart as any bunch on any other forum and much more helpful to boot. Our oldtimers are exceedingly polite answering the same old questions daily to our burgeoning membership. Kudos to all!
Thanks svrctecs for your many neat posts, including the recent Write Right which I partnered with my pal Ken 222. He did all the work! I only supplied your link. Sorry to go OT but it's the truth!

Cheers to all, Marlite

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
Marlite said:
Hi srvctec

Also, I was going for the Jet 2AA tube and 2 stage tailcap extras for approx $35.00 but for $20.00 more I get the 2 stage plus the 2AA tube and the rest of the goodies too. Ya know the CPF motto buy both! I would like you and Vortechs to respond as I value your judgements and you both have the JetBeam I. Your considered opinions would be appreciated. $48.00 orig. cost + $30.00 = $68.00 v/s $54.95 for the Liteflux.

Cheers to all, Marlite

$48 + $30 = $78 !!!!! v/s $54.95 for LiteFlux LF1!!!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marlite said:
Since we both have the JetBeam I, I want to ask why, when the Lip was your EDC and JetBeam was the backup and the Liteflux now becomes your EDC and JetBeam I is still the backup howcum the Lip got benched? Is it due to the better brightness and whiteness of the JetBeam I?

The LiteFlux has the normal (momentary on) clickie and two stages. My modded L1P is great- it has a Flupic and 3W Lux in it, but I have more use for a normal clickie two stage light in day to day use. The reason my JetBeam I is now my backup is simply because it is so bright and white- when I need a perfect bright white beam, it's what I grab- it's too bright for up close work or when my night vision needs preserved.

Thanks for the compliments!

Marlite

Enlightened
srvctec said:
The LiteFlux has the normal (momentary on) clickie and two stages. My modded L1P is great- it has a Flupic and 3W Lux in it, but I have more use for a normal clickie two stage light in day to day use. The reason my JetBeam I is now my backup is simply because it is so bright and white- when I need a perfect bright white beam, it's what I grab- it's too bright for up close work or when my night vision needs preserved.

Thanks for the compliments!

Hi srvctec

The compliments are well deserved as I enjoy your thoughful posts.Thanks for a great observation and coming up with an unusual solution and I found the JetBeam I, too bright sometimes too! I can't believe we're saying on CPF that our light is too bright and white! Did you not get a 2 stage tailcap which it's why I was asking. I needed a low mode w/o getting the JetBeam II, but also wanted the 2AA config for skywriting and alien response.

My Pal Ken solved my dilemma by modding a Dorcy 1AAA and I love it (supplanting my dimmer 1AAA clone) for EDC especially at home where I am 90% of the time! Now I may just go for the Liteflux as an MVP all rounder replete w/ 2stage.

Many thanks, Marlite

Marlite

Enlightened
LED Cool said:
$48 + $30 = $78 !!!!! v/s $54.95 for LiteFlux LF1!!!

Hey LED Cool

Thank you LED Cool for your "additional" help, post edited and corrected. You dispense style w/good vibes and a knowledgeable flashlight base.
Your reply was a classic "soft sell"- also- add and switch! :goodjob:
But it's still $30.00 v/s $54.95 when's the CPF group buy?

Please PM me and let me know, if, I can send money order.

Regards, Marlite

LED Cool

Enlightened
Marlite said:
But it's still $30.00 v/s $54.95 when's the CPF group buy?

hi marlite,

may i ask which flashlight does the $30 refer to?

regarding CPF group buy for the LiteFlux LF1, well, may be one could be organized. however, i do not think there will be much interest in it, given the number of threads/post discussing about this LF1. :shrug:

khoo

Marlite

Enlightened
LED Cool said:
hi marlite,

may i ask which flashlight does the $30 refer to?

regarding CPF group buy for the LiteFlux LF1, well, may be one could be organized. however, i do not think there will be much interest in it, given the number of threads/post discussing about this LF1. :shrug:

khoo

Hi LED Cool

Reference of $30.00 was for JetBeam I - 2AA Extension tube and 2 Stage Tailcap. Shipping was not included should have read $35.00. V/S $54.95 for Liteflux w/ 2AA package. Hmmnm.

Not much interest? It is still under active consideration for me at this time.

Thanks, Marlite

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Marlite said:
Hi LED Cool

Reference of $30.00 was for JetBeam I - 2AA Extension tube and 2 Stage Tailcap. Shipping was not included should have read $35.00. V/S $54.95 gor Liteflux w/ 2AA incl.. Hmmmm.

Hi LED Cool,

I happen to know Marlite already has a JetBeam Jet-I (from the Jet-I pre-sale thread), so I think he is comparing the cost of getting the 2AA extension tube and 2 stage tailcap for his JetBeam to the cost of getting a complete LiteFlux LF1. Obviously this comparison is only useful to someone who already has a Jet-I (Mark-I) but does not have the 2AA extension or 2 stage tailcap for it. For somebody who does not already have a Jet-I, that would be an additional cost that would make the JetBeam package much more expensive than the LiteFlux package.

I hope that helps clarify things. I am sure Marlite will let me know if my assumptions are wrong.

Marlite

Enlightened
vortechs said:
Hi LED Cool,

I happen to know Marlite already has a JetBeam Jet-I (from the Jet-I pre-sale thread), so I think he is comparing the cost of getting the 2AA extension tube and 2 stage tailcap for his JetBeam to the cost of getting a complete LiteFlux LF1. Obviously this comparison is only useful to someone who already has a Jet-I (Mark-I) but does not have the 2AA extension or 2 stage tailcap for it. For somebody who does not already have a Jet-I, that would be an additional cost that would make the JetBeam package much more expensive than the LiteFlux package.

I hope that helps clarify things. I am sure Marlite will let me know if my assumptions are wrong.

Hi Vortechs

You assume right! Vortechs if you will check post #85 I invited you and svrctec to comment on the worthiness of getting the 1AA 3W Liteflux package complete with 2AA extension and 2 way clickie, because you both have Jet-I as well. I meant to PM you to advise as it was buried in the post sorry. Please comment in your inimitable way as usual.

Thanks again, Marlite

LED Cool

Enlightened
now i understand what is the comparison is about ($35 v/s $55). thanks vortechs!

well. for $20 more. one will get to experience the joy :) of owning a LiteFlux LF1!

:popcorn:

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
LED Cool said:
now i understand what is the comparison is about ($35 v/s $55). thanks vortechs!

well. for $20 more. one will get to experience the joy :rock: and pain :rant:? of owning a LiteFlux LF1!

Hi LED Cool,

So far I have not found any pain in owning a LF1. I assume you were being humorous?

LED Cool

Enlightened
thanks vortechs! for sharing your joy of owning a LF1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i AM being humourous :grin2:

Last edited:

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking that the LF1 could benefit from using the new Cree XR-E LEDs instead of the LuxIII.
Given that the LF1 is limited to a lower capacity power source (the AA format), it could greatly benefit from using a more efficient emitter. 70-80 lumens at 350mA doesn't sound bad. 3W of light output by luxeon standards, but only about 1.3W of power consumpion ..... :)
Of course there is the reflector problem, but the idea doesn't sound bad I think :)

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
LED Cool,
I've read the PM and I've sent an email to one of the adresses mentioned there. I'll try and send it again, but don't worry, it was nothing urgent, just a few questions.

DF

Marlite

Enlightened
LED Cool said:
thanks vortechs! for sharing your joy of owning a LF1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i AM being humourous but some MAY experience some kind of "pain" ? "pain" as in the owners dislike certain functions or features of LF1. if any.

just my 2 cents.

LED Cool

I'm stabbed, in pain.Quick got a band aid?

My 2 cents, Marlite

Last edited: