LiteFlux LF5XT Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, and more!

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Mine was setup as:

Mode 1: 1%
Mode 2: 40 %
Mode 3: 100 %
Mode 4: Fast strobe
Mode 5: fast 2hz blink.
Memory: On
Momentary: On
Battery Protection: On

LF5XT is my fav light now.. :)

pedrosa

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
I'm a bit of a noob here so please forgive the ignorance, but could anyone tell me if the memory retains what you programmed even after a battery change?
Thanks

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
Hello.
Somebody know how many lumens on high with primary, NIMH and LI IOn ?
(real or calculated)
Thank you ;)

Rob187

Enlightened
I can't give you primary or NiMH but some calculations against other known outputs suggest that the LF5XT puts around 130 lumens OTF on Li ion.

For example, it is both measurably and perceptively brighter than my Novatac 120P (120 lumens), brighter than my Arc6 on primary 123A (100 lumens) & Ra Twisty 100 (100 lumens) but not as bright as Arc6 on RCR123A (around 150ish) or Gatlight Ti.

The R2 used in the LF5XT is about as good a bin as you can get commercially.

All this aside, lumens aren't the only thing to judge a light by.

Cemoi

Enlightened
Any idea why the "old" L1D has a much better runtime than all other models, although there is not much difference in brightness?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Any idea why the "old" L1D has a much better runtime than all other models, although there is not much difference in brightness?
Well, Fenix has arguably the most efficient AA circuit in terms of output/runtime efficiency. This is thanks to its current-controlled interface and optimization for a limited range of specific pre-set outputs.

As to why my "old" L1D-Q5 does so well, this is likely due to simply a well-matched emitter for the Fenix circuit. AFAIK, Fenix doesn't use defined Vf bins, so there is bound to be some variability in runtime from one sample to another.

Although the L1D-Q5 used in my testing may seem like a good peformer relative to other Q5 lights, it's runtime is less than the earlier P4-Q2 L1D lights I've tested (see my Fenix round-up reviews from my master list).

chadvone

Enlightened
Great review. I have the Lf5xt and a D10.

Bye your throw numbers are you getting more throw out of the Lf5xt ?

My D10 out throws my LF5xt.

Is your tale switch Natural or silver finished ?
Wondering if I have a R2 Or Q5. Can you tell by looking at them ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Bye your throw numbers are you getting more throw out of the Lf5xt ? My D10 out throws my LF5xt. Is your tale switch Natural or silver finished ? Wondering if I have a R2 Or Q5. Can you tell by looking at them ?
My LF5XT is the R2 version (which I believe is no longer available - only Q5s from now on). You can't tell output bin by looking at the emitter, unfortunately.

As for throw, my LF5XT on NiMH is roughly equivalent to my D10-Q5 samples, but overall output is slightly less on the LF5XT on max. On 14500, my LF5XT out-throws my D10 - and overall output is also slightly more. Based on my one LiteFlux sample, this would suggest that the LF5XT reflector may be better focused for throw than the D10 (i.e. if matched for same overall output, my LF5XT will slightly out-throw the D10).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Hmmm.

The ability to program a low to high sequence with no memory is a lot like my P2D edc...

The ability to do it with 14500 makes it better than my P2D as an L1D....

MAY just have to order one of these if I can get the ok....

Thank you EVER SO MUCH for this review!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The ability to program a low to high sequence with no memory is a lot like my P2D edc...

The ability to do it with 14500 makes it better than my P2D as an L1D....
If you plan to use it on Li-ion, you might want to check out the LF3XT.

It has a number of nice upgrades to the LF5XT circuit, including a much lower low mode and the ability to switch between the fully-programmable LF5XT-like interface and a NiteCore D10/EX10-style interface.

A 2xAA battery tube is also expected soon for the LF3XT (not the LF5XT). Just food for thought ...

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan to use it on Li-ion, you might want to check out the LF3XT.

It has a number of nice upgrades to the LF5XT circuit, including a much lower low mode and the ability to switch between the fully-programmable LF5XT-like interface and a NiteCore D10/EX10-style interface.

A 2xAA battery tube is also expected soon for the LF3XT (not the LF5XT). Just food for thought ...

+1. The LF3XT circuit has other improvements. In addition to the ones that Selfbuilt mentioned, the most significant is the no delay when switching on the light, although there is still a 0.3 sec delay when switching levels or turning off the light. There is an additional instant command with the LF3XT that allows you to toggle momentary on or off.
With the LF5XT, you need to do this by entering a function menu, which involves a few more switch presses. When the 2xAA tube becomes available, there is supposed to be a clip with it, something that both lights currently lack. BTW, if you still want an R2 LF5XT, EliteLED.COM still has a few available in natural finish only.

JJohn

Enlightened
Is the inductor whine still a problem with these lights? It is mentioned that they can be a bit noisy. Also, can you point me to where they can be purchased? Thanks!

sardian

Newly Enlightened
Is the inductor whine still a problem with these lights? It is mentioned that they can be a bit noisy. Also, can you point me to where they can be purchased? Thanks!

Check the marketplace here at CPF and eliteled.com sells them.

I'd like to know about the whine also. I'm ordering one after the 8th of next month and today is the first I have heard about the "whine".

DavesKam

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for I'm a new comer and don't know the technical terms about
Throw, Lightbox (max and Min), Ceiling Bounce etc. Is there any information I can learn about this?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Sorry for I'm a new comer and don't know the technical terms about
Throw, Lightbox (max and Min), Ceiling Bounce etc. Is there any information I can learn about this?
In addition to the Welcome Mat here at CPF, these flashlightreviews.com links will help explain the method I use:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lux.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lightbox_output.htm

The main difference is that I mount the sensor near the base of the long axis of the milk carton, and make the opening for the flashlight at the "bottom" of the carton (so I can lay the flashlight down for runtimes, which are done under a cooling fan).

Ceiling bounce refers to putting the lightmeter on the floor of a small windowless room (like a closet or bathroom), and measuring lux while point the flashlight at the ceiling. This is of course relative for the room in question, but allows you to roughly compare overall outputs.

JJohn

Enlightened
I'll answer my own question here:

I got an R2 version of the LF5XT from EliteLED and in this sample of one, the whine is not an issue. It is just barely perceptible at some levels. It is significantly quieter than my HDS.

Nice light once you get it setup the way you want it. I went with 8% - 22% - 35% - 50% - 1%, no memory. I use the 8% for checking on the kids at night so I put it first. Nice soft light when bounced from the ceiling at this level. The 22 through 50 are great for camping and dog walks at night with the Press to 100% to check out things if needed.

My copy has a nice neutral tint and very nice beam. I also really appreciate being able to loosen the tailcap a half turn so it doesn't turn on while in my pocket ( tailcap lockout?).

Thanks for the great review Selfbuilt, it helped me decide to go with this one.

Last edited:

stangri

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a great review, but I'm just very curious, why the package destined to Canada has been opened by the US Customs (as it says on the tape)? :)