Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sat 25 Feb

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Sun 26 Feb

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was another success and let's make sure the weather is better by not letting sub choose the date ;)

I did say I should not have a hand in choosing the date, but I have big enough shoulders to carry the blame.

You have to admit though it did make it interesting and not your run of the mill meet :)

Ah ha, ah ho, foot steps in the snow, maybe it's a Gruffalo !

Did the snow fall fast and the wind blow wild?

If they went into the woods it might have not been the Gruffalo, but instead the Gruffalo's child.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The meet went really well, just thought about the last meet when it was really cold and windy. The Devils Dyke.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great meet up in freezing conditions!!!

6828840849_2790b6bb30_o.jpg

I arrived early and in some trepidation for the pub was very full! No sign of the snow yet, or the other CPFers!

Soon, though, I was joined in turn by Jay R, Essexman and Blue Led. So we commenced with the old 'getting out of the lights on the table' ploy. I have to confess I was rather distracted by all the chatting and enjoying and I rather forgot to photo many of the torches - In fact this is the only shot I have from the array on the table!

6828840017_2518824cab_o.jpg

But not a bad one. The Sunwayman V10R Ti (and the XML update on the right) proved the most commonly held light that evening. I think this one's a success, chaps!

Soon we were joined by hemdale (First time!) and his disciplined collection, then by Subwoofer and TX101. The torches spread out over two table by this stage. (No pics! Sorry - just too much to play with and chat about and drinks to be purchased and drunk!).

Before too long we retired to the dining room and ate hearty as the snow fell (Scallops and Black pudding starter followed by Burger n chips - Yumsk!).

So at 8:30PM we hit the Heath. Still snowing and settling.

6828841219_650d918905_o.jpg

Now, here's the thing. In the darkest parts of the Heath, at a weekend, away from city lights etc. Snow reflects ALL light. We didn't need the lights. Not at all. Furthermore, if you were to light up a burly 1200 Lumen pocket rocket, the falling snow made you see spots after you turned it off! Instant whiteout.

The only usable torches were the laser like throwers, the Recoils and the Asphericals. Winner by far was BlueLed's DBS V3 ASP with EZ900 cree. Scorched my DBS V3 ASP with XML T6!!!! (I hate it when that happens).

Special mention must go to Subwoofer's budget lights, in particular the Small Sun ZY-A25 Zoom, which with an RCR123A cell in it is brighter and throwier than my DEFT EDC, plus it is a tiny tiny cost.

(I have since this meet equipped myself with the Small Sun and a EZ900 pill for my DBS, imitation is the sincerest form of envy, after all.)
6828841617_17df377324_o.jpg

Another thing about the snow - it makes your camera stay in your pocket!! These are all the photo's I have. Even though we walked through this winter wonderland for about an hour and a half - occasionally stopping to try out the dazzlers on distant frozen flora and fauna. Travelling up to the Pond by Jack Straw's Castle, then back down to the Freemason's Arms for hot drinks and loo breaks before clearing off for home.

Jay and TX101 and Essexman braved their cars, the rest of us trudged off to the tube - stopping only to help a poor couple in their expensive car that was travelling sideways a high revs! Thank Gawd the tubes were working that night.

Rising from the underground in Oxford Street, I noticed the clothing of choice for the young ladies were High heels and tiny dresses with bedraggled hair, Blimey O' Riley as they say in France.

Well done to everyone who came, to Jay, Mark, Andrew, Richard, Bruce and Wai, and all your outrageous lights. Next time we must be better with the photos and the Weather!!

Cheers!

:grouphug:

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This from the man who offered me a paracord bikini!!!

True, good point. I don't remember seeing hemdale's extendable pocket butane torch, could have used it to melt the snow?

Nice write up Lee, and thanks for the cuppa tea before leaving, that was a great way to warm up before setting off.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
TX101 had bought one too. He had a torch off against Hemdale.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was talking to a couple of you about Norland replacement. Think it was BlueLED and Nycto. Anyway, the stuff is Loctite Glass Bond and it goes off in about 10 seconds on a sunny Summers day. I did most of my trits on a cloudy winters day and it took an hour. The stuff comes in small yellow 3ml tubes and shouldn't cost you more than about £3.50 at the most. I used it on a number of lights and it's worked very well and has stayed crystal clear

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was talking to a couple of you about Norland replacement. Think it was BlueLED and Nycto. Anyway, the stuff is Loctite Glass Bond and it goes off in about 10 seconds on a sunny Summers day. I did most of my trits on a cloudy winters day and it took an hour. The stuff comes in small yellow 3ml tubes and shouldn't cost you more than about £3.50 at the most. I used it on a number of lights and it's worked very well and has stayed crystal clear

Ah I was going to PM you about that, cheers for the info.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling it is nearing the time for another meet.

Was it Blue LED who had the dbs aspheric that was the best thrower at the last meet? I have an interesting light which might even beat it :)

When it the next meet so we can see which comes out on top?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling it is nearing the time for another meet.

Was it Blue LED who had the dbs aspheric that was the best thrower at the last meet? I have an interesting light which might even beat it :)

When it the next meet so we can see which comes out on top?

My DBS has been pumped up since the last meet. I also have another LED torch that hammers my newly pumped up Dereelight aspheric DBS-T.

Yes another meet is an excellent idea.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - I, officially, refuse to even try and compete with Blueled's asp throwers on any level whatsoever. It would be lovely to see them, but I realize that it is futile to think I can ever outthrow one of his lights at all - (I remember when the Mag asp was the best.....).

I'm happy to follow his lead.

Meet up A-OK with me. Not much new, just a healthy appreciation for the lights I possess.

I still hanker after a combined torch and fanny-magnet though.....

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh the legendary torch and fanny magnet, a noble quest that has eluded man for centuries.

It is that special time of year again and I think we are due for another CPF Meet. To get things starter, I would like to propose a few dates. Please feel free to chime in with possible locations and dates.

We could try Parliament Hill?

Saturday
Sunday
19th​ May
20th​ May
26th​ May
27th​ May
2nd​ June
3rd​ June

Please feel free to chime in with possible locations and dates.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most likely for me are 26/27 May

I would prefer an out of London location and will get my thinking cap on so I can make a few suggestions.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya,

I Can't do 26/27 May and 3/4 June is a day away from Full moon, but happy to do an out of town if would be need be.

I can bring some snow in an ice bucket if it helps.