Looking for an oddball; probably custom?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... looks like we already have our in house turtle and spyder expert!

So will we see a 2010 CPF blade a collaboration between McGizmo and Spyderco?
What say you guys?? :popcorn:

I want in!!
Spyderco :nana: version.

Hey Don why not use a G10 blade for your dive? There are already loads in the custom blade market.
Maybe some of the toxic bros could chime.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Hi Moeman,
Thanks for the offer but I have a couple of the Salt knives already. One is mounted on one of my SurfSkis (sit on top kayak). It has been attached, in its plastic scabbard, to a deck bag now for over a year and possibly two years. Please understand that I don't do anything about cleaning it or rinsing it beyond rain that hits it.

DSC_3122.jpg

DSC_3124.jpg

DSC_3125.jpg

That's very interesting. Your mention of chlorine reminds me of this: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39008

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A number of us try to police the reef and remove fishing tackle that has broken clear from the rod and reel and left abandoned. ... I needed a knife or some type of clippers and didn't have anything on me.
Any ideas or sugestions?
Stainless steel toenail clippers? Too oddball?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, FYI, Peter did a handful of tools early on that are basically PryBabies with seat belt cutters in the bottle opener. He discontinued them because they were a pain for him to do and difficult if not impossible for most users to protect the edge or resharpen. These were PryBaby variants, not to be confused with the Pop N Chops. Maybe Peter would hook you up?

Personally, I think you need a Mayo. It's just wrong to have a McGizmo in one pocket and a production knife in the other!! :poke: I think TM likes trades, too. ;)

The 60 NiTiNOL PM Striders are very sweet, but quite rare and definitely $$$$!!!! I think they sold originally from Strider in the $2k range. :eek:oo: There is a well known McGizmite who owns one. PM me if you want and I will give you the name if you want to get some firsthand feedback from him.

It may be showing my ignorance to say so, but it seems like going diving without a knife (or three) is a very dangerous gamble. Stay safe out there!!

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just reread your OP and I remembered this Ti Card Knife that may be up your alley:

http://www.nemesis-knives.com/tools.htm

There was also a similar one made by Jens Anso, but they are sold out, so you'd have to find on the secondary market. I can probably find you one if you want me to.

Also, look into Warren Thomas. He does a lot of really unique work making Ti blades with carbidized edges. Fixed blades, folders and true customs.

Really, there are a LOT of good options out there.....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Rycen,
Yes, I sent the knife back to Spyderco and they provided a new replacement. I installed it on my surfski which as it turns out, I have only taken in the water once this season. I have opted to use the smaller waveski as transport in going out for whale watching. I do subject the Benchmade #7 to near daily saltwater and air exposure though since it is always on the swim fin. I used it the other day to cut away a bunch of fishing line that was wrapped around the coral and noticed that it now has a number of rust bloom spots on it but seemingly just on the surface and more cosmetic than anything else at this point.

I caught the thread on ceramic box cutter blades and purchased some of them. One of these days I would like to fabricate a titanium folder that would be host to one of these replaceable ceramic blades. I think a ceramic version of the Benchmade #7 would also be a cool tool for my application and environment and it would have insignificant weight as well. :shrug:

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Well I have read all the posts and have come to the conclusion that while in an effort to find a great knife, you forgot to mention that he may travel. For this I came up with a simple alternative. Get a reinforced plastic knife. Try this link and let me know what you think. http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/subcategories.main/parentcat/25000/subcatid/59411. Also you will be able to take it with you wherever you go. Just check the local laws first. But you can stow it in your luggage. Good Lucklovecpf

carrot

Flashaholic
Well I have read all the posts and have come to the conclusion that while in an effort to find a great knife, you forgot to mention that he may travel. For this I came up with a simple alternative. Get a reinforced plastic knife. Try this link and let me know what you think. http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/subcategories.main/parentcat/25000/subcatid/59411. Also you will be able to take it with you wherever you go. Just check the local laws first. But you can stow it in your luggage. Good Lucklovecpf
I have a bunch of those but I wouldn't try cutting anything hard with them, heck you might even have trouble cutting fabric, let alone ropes. They are better at stabbing than slicing, for sure.

IMHO it's best to stick to proven H1 and titanium blades.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac, I'm pretty sure this one is rust proof and I can pretty much guarantee that it'll slash through fishing line, AND, if you mess it up, you can buy a new one. They are pretty damn cheap :)

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=%22FGX%20Skean%20Dhu%22&sa=N&tab=wf

This way you'll never have to throw a knife away, that has rusted, which sucks, they're cheap enough to buy one a month or week and still pay less than you would for another one for the same time, and if you lose one, who gives a poop!

I have the tanto but I don't think it'll suit you because it's not serrated and is much bigger http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

:)

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Hey Don, how about something like this?

6AL4V and G10. The edge is carbidized so it lasts quite a bit longer than a plain Ti edge does.

DSC02236.JPG

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
now that looks like interesting thingamajig eric.. what is it? and how much is it. (too much for me likely as it looks custom made)

g10 glued to blade and then shaped and sharpened? interesting idea as is.

-ceramic knife is out of question because they brittle and break too easy? those wouldnt rust.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
It's a G10/Titanium laminate, which is then ground into shape, similar to how you'd make a normal homogenous knife.
I call it a Zipper. It's based on a design I collaborated on with another knifemaker, name of Morgan Atwood, a few years back. He made the original, in just straight carbonfiber and I finally finished the G10/Ti composite one.
The edge is carbidized so it handles most fibrous materials really well and stays sharper longer than a pure titanium edge does. It's a V-grind, not a chisel grind by the way.
I'm currently selling it, since I need the cash and the going price is 200.
Oh and I should perhaps point out that this type of construction was not my invention. The first one and probably the best one at making knives like this is Warren Thomas.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
Rather than using a knife, why not use a pair of stainless utility scissors. They come in several sizes and are quite cheap. If they rust just throw them away and use another pair. Also it's hard for me to understand why you don't just give your knives or whatever a good rinse after being in salt water. It can't take more than a few seconds to pour a little fresh water over them and prevent most of the rust problems you are having.

Latest posts