Looking for opinions on Malkoff M91W Host, etc...

diesel79

Enlightened
Hmmmmmm..... I'm going to have to play with the MD2 when it arrives, actually 2 of them, one for the M91W & one for a M61W. If I find it's shorter than I expected in my pocket, I'll "Pop" for a MD3. Or maybe I'll just try an MD3 because I can???? Nothing wrong with an "extra" around the house, right? I'll just need to figure what module I would want to drop into the MD3 then???? I think I've got about the 2 best that Gene makes, correct? Guess I"ll order a few 18350's just to be safe.

You have got some sweet set ups coming your way! As far as the 2 you bought being the best drop ins, I think all of his stuff of the best out there and there are enough different drop ins to suite almost anyones needs/wants.

Last edited:

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
Hello geoff538,

Another item you might want to invest in is a digital multi meter if you don't already have one. This way you can monitor your cells voltage until you get a feel for runtime to recharge point. I usually recharge at 3.6 or so volts. Shallower discharge cycles should help cell life.

Although you are using LED's, there is a fantastic sticky thread on rechargeable batteries over in the incandescant forum, "MD's guide to lithium-ion batteries" or something like that to help explain some of the considerations such as safe chemistry, protected, etc. You may only want to read the sections regarding batteries. Tommyguns reference to Oveready is great reading as well.

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
This is what Gene told me:

Hello Geoff,

The RCR123's will work fine for both dropins. However, you may want to
consider a single 18650 for the M61W for longer runtimes. The M91W will
require the higher voltage of 2 cells.

Thanks, Gene
Malkoff Devices, Inc.
www.malkoffdevices.com
334-393-3717