Looking for suggestions on solar panels and chargers for emergency (power out) lights

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see now, but does that mean that post 12 makes sense, as long as we use a small solar panel with a controller?
Why not just skip the car battery and get a deep-cycle SLA or AGM battery to charge. Keeps it separate from the car and one isn't always connecting and disconnecting the solar panel. Besides, one should be using a deep-cycle battery for this purpose anyway. A car lead acid battery really doesn't handle being discharged very far well.

braddy

Enlightened
I was thinking only of a rare, or never needed emergency situation, without buying a special battery to sit in storage until it becomes dead, which seems to fit in with the OP issue.

If I run out of batteries in a many weeks long blackout, my intention was to just go out to the car and recharge my batteries, and occasionally run the engine to make sure that I don't drain the car battery. I thought that it made sense to own some little solar package so that I could just use my car battery without draining it.

Pulling out the small solar panel and clipping it to the car battery for a few days of flashlight battery charging from the cigarette lighter, wouldn't be that big of a deal, and it seems cheaper, and also practical for long camping trips.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other suggestions on brands/models, particularly on the panels?

There are 2 I would consider after looking at pretty much all the commonly avalible ones.

Best bang for your buck, quality, and most power would be ANKER.

You want something a little more compact and unique, durable, apocalypse built... made in the USA, you can't go wrong with Suntactics.

I prefer the Suntactics if I had the coin.

Voltaic is also worth a look, they have some quality stuff on par with the above at good prices.

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
I would keep it simple, but of ample charging capacity.
A relatively large deep cycle battery of about 80AH, a reasonably large PV module at least 60 watts, 100 watts would be better and charge controller to suit.

This may sound very oversized but is in my view the minimum for reliable operation in adverse conditions.

Experience suggests that in real world conditions, that a PV module puts about 1 amp into a 12 volt battery for each 20 watts of rated power. So a 60 watt nominal PV module would put about 3 amps into a 12 volt battery. In UK* winter conditions we get about 1 hour of sunlight a day (or many hours of dull daylight that produces the same charging effect as an hour of direct sun)
So the 60 watt module in UK* winter conditions produces about 3AH a day. Losses in the battery are about 1% a day, say about 0.8AH in this case, which leaves about 2.2AH a day available for use. Not much is it ? A 100 watt module might be better and would produce a net gain of about 4.2AH a day.
Small batteries of any type may be charged at any time by use of a battery charger intended for in vehicle use and therefore designed for 12 volt input.

I would favour a deep cycle flooded lead acid battery of at least 80AH for several reasons, firstly they are very cheap, secondly they can accept charging at a high rate from say a generator if available, and thirdly they can be used to jump start a vehicle if needed.

Power failures or related disasters could occur at any time, but seem more likely in winter weather when PV input is at its lowest. There is also IMO a small but real risk of a deliberate attack on power infrastructure, this would likely be planned when it would have the "best" effect, that is probably mid winter.

IMHO, far too many people make very optimistic assumptions about what can be achieved with a very small PV system, perhaps backed up by a brief test on a bright sunny day.
BTW my "doom prep" PV charging system uses a 250 watt PV module with a maximum power point charge controller and a 200AH lead acid battery. That still only produces about 15 AH a day in midwinter.

*I know that the OP is not in the UK, but how does winter sunlight compare ?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another worthy mention is to get a charger that also functions as a power bank.

You can charge an eneloop and use that as a power bank or, I think, even if you insert a primary you'll be able to charge other devices from it.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Another worthy mention is to get a charger that also functions as a power bank.

You can charge an eneloop and use that as a power bank or, I think, even if you insert a primary you'll be able to charge other devices from it.

I posted this in another thread here on CPF.

I use a Goal Zero Nomad 7 with the Guide 10 Plus charger/battery bank.
The Guide 10 Plus has to charge 4 AAs or AAAs at the same time though, which is why I also got the Xtar XP1 Ni-Mh/Li-Ion single bay charger. It will be easier to charge 1 battery if there isn't much sun.
I also have the MC1. Nice little chargers especially for the price.

My Xtar VP2 has 12V charging from a cig lighter socket and can be used as a USB power bank.
Alhough I haven't tried charging 1 or 2 18650s in the VP2 using the solar panel yet though.

I'm looking for a small home setup so that the Goal Zero will reside in my BOB permanently.
Nokero has a 2W solar panel with a 1x AA slot built in. I'm interested in it as an all-in-one solution for charging 1x AA and not worrying about cables and stuff.
I've streamlined all my emergency gear to run off 1x AA. Tac light, headlamp, etc.

11745611_10153423663593433_29601537828643831_n.jpg

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
In response to the OP, as I've mentioned in other threads, the products from Aspect Solart (dot com) will more than fill the bill. I respect Goal Zero a lot, but their batteries consist of lead acid and not the LiF04 (lithium ion phosphate) found in Aspect Solar's batteries, thus dramatically shortening their life spans.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very cool.

You don't have to wait thought, grab an ANKER 14W for $50 on amazon.

If you have the coin get both.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you ForrestChump, much appreciated.

Yup Yup....

ANKER has VERY good rep, grab a panel and battery or 2. I'd stay away from Goal Zero even thought it pops up often. ( NOT looking to debate anyone, just my opinion ).

ANKER is the best bang for your buck for sure, I would wager one of the most reliable as well. The only thing I have gotten from them was a dual usb AC charger

and the thing was FAST even with 2 tablets / phones plugged in...not cook your battery fast, but I noticed a huge improvement over any other AC charger I've used.

Also, very solid in the hands, I know it was just an AC charger but fit and finish was very noticeable....I was impressed by a simple AC charger! Ha!

1DaveN

Enlightened
In response to the OP, as I've mentioned in other threads, the products from Aspect Solart (dot com) will more than fill the bill. I respect Goal Zero a lot, but their batteries consist of lead acid and not the LiF04 (lithium ion phosphate) found in Aspect Solar's batteries, thus dramatically shortening their life spans.

Those look interesting and might solve a problem I've been thinking about. I'm looking for a way to power a CPAP machine for a two-night canoe trip. Their proprietary batteries are over $500 each and for two nights, you need two batteries. Other things use car or marine deep-cycle batteries that aren't very canoe friendly. And it's 24 volts, so I guess it has to use an inverter (or at least something beyond everyday rechargeables).

Poppy

Flashaholic
Those look interesting and might solve a problem I've been thinking about. I'm looking for a way to power a CPAP machine for a two-night canoe trip. Their proprietary batteries are over $500 each and for two nights, you need two batteries. Other things use car or marine deep-cycle batteries that aren't very canoe friendly. And it's 24 volts, so I guess it has to use an inverter (or at least something beyond everyday rechargeables).
I didn't know what a CPAP machine is, so I googled it and came up with this, regarding a back-up battery.
The Transcend battery provides backup power during storms and brown outs for uninterrupted therapy. Perfect for use in remote locations where power is unavailable. Ensure you'll always have the energy you'll need, whether you're on the road or at home.

The Overnight P4 Battery recharges in just under 8 hours.

Proprietary design: 14.4 VDC, 4S2P Li-ion

Charge indicator: LED

Dimensions: 4.1 in x 3.15 in x .9 in

Weight: 1.1 lbs

Operational time: 14 – 16 hours @ 14 cmH2O

A 4 serial, 2 parallel 18650 Li-ion battery pack uses 8 cells.
18650 cells are about $8-$10 each, so you might build your own. OR find a power tool that runs similar voltage to the demands of your CPAP machine.

1DaveN

Enlightened
A 4 serial, 2 parallel 18650 Li-ion battery pack uses 8 cells.
18650 cells are about $8-$10 each, so you might build your own. OR find a power tool that runs similar voltage to the demands of your CPAP machine.

Thanks - two good ideas. That 4 serial, 2 parallel idea looks like a good one. I'll look into that further.

1DaveN

Enlightened
You'll have to look at the demands of your unit, if you really need 24 volts, then you may need 6S2P or 12 cells.

I'm going to see if the documentation has any specs, and maybe plug in one of those Kill A Watt meters to see exactly what it's drawing. Thanks.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
After spending some time doing research, i think I shall get the XTAR VC4 Charger looks quite useful and will charge everything I own, and get a Powerbank, I am leaning towards Mipow, that and the Anker and I should be set, anyone got anything to add O Experts of CPF? :)