Looking for suggestions on solar panels and chargers for emergency (power out) lights

Greta

Flashaholic
As someone in this thread mentioned camping and RV's, I think this might be the right place to ask...

First - I know nothing about this sort of thing. But my aunt recently wrote to me about their "problems" with portable solar panels to charge their RV battery. Here is what she wrote to me:

"As i said, it's a 12vt battery and while the camper does get used, we don't drain the battery so much that the panel should go down volts. Fully charged its about 12.7 volts. Every day on the panel, it loses a a little ground. With such little draw on it, it should at least hold the charge and not go down in volts little by little. (Down to 12.1 after a few days). So any help would be appreciated. We don't want a huge one though."

Again, I know nothing about this sort of thing but I told her I know some people that do and I'd do some checking for her. So... keeping it as simple as possible and in "Dummy's Guide..." terms, anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? :shrug:

Poppy

Flashaholic
As someone in this thread mentioned camping and RV's, I think this might be the right place to ask...

First - I know nothing about this sort of thing. But my aunt recently wrote to me about their "problems" with portable solar panels to charge their RV battery. Here is what she wrote to me:

"As i said, it's a 12vt battery and while the camper does get used, we don't drain the battery so much that the panel should go down volts. Fully charged its about 12.7 volts. Every day on the panel, it loses a a little ground. With such little draw on it, it should at least hold the charge and not go down in volts little by little. (Down to 12.1 after a few days). So any help would be appreciated. We don't want a huge one though."

Again, I know nothing about this sort of thing but I told her I know some people that do and I'd do some checking for her. So... keeping it as simple as possible and in "Dummy's Guide..." terms, anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? :shrug:
Greta,
I also know very little about solar charging, but the first thing I would check is the battery itself, especially if it is more than three years old.
She can take it to just about any chain auto-parts store and they'll load test it for free. Advance Auto, Pep-Boys, etc.

Greta

Flashaholic
Greta,
I also know very little about solar charging, but the first thing I would check is the battery itself, especially if it is more than three years old.
She can take it to just about any chain auto-parts store and they'll load test it for free. Advance Auto, Pep-Boys, etc.

Poppy - I will mention that to her, thank you :) I'm guessing my uncle has probably already thought of that but one never knows. They are pretty thorough with winterizing and storing the RV 'til camping season comes around again (she told me they lined the interior of the RV with 175 dryer sheets for the winter to keep the mice out and prevent any mustiness - :duh2:) so I'm going to guess they are just as diligent with the battery upkeep. But again... one never knows.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always remove my battery in my RV in the winter. I place it in my basement and put it on a very gentle trickle charger theoughout the winter. I never place the battery directly on the concrete basement floor, as I usually use a piece of wood or plastic underneath.
The winters here in New England are brutal on batteries that are left outside.
Not sure if that helps you or not.

Greta

Flashaholic
I always remove my battery in my RV in the winter. I place it in my basement and put it on a very gentle trickle charger theoughout the winter. I never place the battery directly on the concrete basement floor, as I usually use a piece of wood or plastic underneath.
The winters here in New England are brutal on batteries that are left outside.
Not sure if that helps you or not.

My aunt and uncle are in New England also. Read my post above regarding their winterizing practices. ;)

They really do want to get a decent solar charger for the battery for next season though. It's not unusual for them to go camping for a week or more so it is needed. They don't do RV parks where there is electricity and such. They have to supply their own so that's why they like the idea of the solar panel charger.

Latest posts