lost in the woods

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Shankus
That's a great idea about the Photon II. I always overuse the backlight whenever I do use it and I think a Photon would probably make a gps more readable anyway. Going to get one and attach it to my old e-map.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought was 'a torch' , not Britspeak for flashlight, the thing with fire on the end. Failing that a pocketful of matches. Most any flashlight is useless for signaling and heat is likely to be way more important than light. And in the woods, fuel is more common than batteries.

In a serious vein any 'gimmick' flashlight that included a compass, mirror, or whistle has it all over the 'best' high tech unit.....except maybe the one in some cell phones....

Doug Owen

ChrisA

Enlightened
If you get lost in the woods I'd assume that something went wrong and the whole situation happened rather unintentionally (like James described before). If so, I would find an Arc AAA in my right pants pocket, a SAK with saw in the left and a small BOB (contains a larger folder, a useful length of paracord, small compass, Arc LSH with 2AA pack, a large plastic bag, some water-purification tablets and a sealed spare AAA cell), which I always grab when leaving the house for more than a few minutes, attached to my belt.

I don't think a GPS receiver would be a great help if you're stuck in the woods - you will need to find a clearing to get a reliable satellite fix and without a map it's pretty useless. What runtimes do you get ? I get around 16-18 hours runtime from 1800 mAh cells (Garmin GPS 12, software rev. 4.58) with the receiver running in 'power save' mode and backlight timer at 30 seconds. For my hiking needs that's plenty enough, since I usually mark my starting point, turn the unit off and use compass and charts to navigate. During the hike the receiver is only used to cross-check the current position and approximate elevation.

Chris

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're lost in the woods at night (depending on time of year, etc.) it may make more sense to try to get some sleep and find your way out the next morning, than fumble around in the dark with a flashlight.

A compass is very helpful for keeping moving in the same direction. Otherwise people have a natural tendency to walk in circles. I've heard that adjusting your pack contents so there's about 5% more weight on your strong side will keep you walking in a straight line but I've never experimentally verified that. I carry a small Silva-type compass in my belt pack all the time, since it's often handy for navigating in a car. More recently I got a tiny compass about the size of a Photon II and may put it on a zipper pull or something.

GPS doesn't work well in tree cover. When I've used one though, it's generally been by turning it on momentarily when I want a location fix (maybe a few times an hour), rather than leaving it running continuously. I have a clunky old 4AA-powered unit but my next one will probably be a Garmin Geko, which is tiny and uses two AAA's.

Lightofmine, what's wrong with the UKE 2AAA? I have a couple of them and they seem like nice lights.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
people have a natural tendency to walk in circles.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, they do... there are a few ways around it:
If you have a compass, check it very frequently.

In dense forest with no campass, don't always go to one side of a tree to get around it. Alternate sides to make a weave pattern, otherwise you wind up doing the circle thing fairly quickly.

No compass but in more open areas, find a focus or refrence point and line up the landmarks and walk from one to the other using them as markers.

-Jason

paulr

Flashaholic
Since we're talking about flashlights (i.e. nighttime), don't forget looking at the sky. The Big Dipper is the best-known constellation for navigating but there's other possibilities too. Mars is very visible these days. If the moon is up, the Earth-moon-Mars triangle locates the ecliptic and the line running perpendicular through the ecliptic runs north and south. You can spot the ecliptic with the moon and other planets like Jupiter the same way, when they're visible.

In the daytime, if you have a watch, you can get rough direction estimates from the location of the sun (it rises in the east and sets in the west). Of course you can do similar stuff at night, but it takes enough data that you're more likely to have brought along a compass.

StuU

Enlightened
One of the best lights for outdoor emergencies is the standard CMG Infinity in white or blue/green. Polish the reflector and install a lithium AA. Light output is very usable and will be adequate for getting around in dark woods. The CMG fits into a minor backpack cranny and with the lithium (+ a spare batt or two) will be ready when called upon with its 40+ hour runtime.

I have a setup like this. The Infinity has a brand new (never drawn upon) lithium AA which has the (+) terminal papered and taped till needed.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
One of the best lights for outdoor emergencies is the standard CMG Infinity in white or blue/green. Polish the reflector and install a lithium AA. Light output is very usable and will be adequate for getting around in dark woods. The CMG fits into a minor backpack cranny and with the lithium (+ a spare batt or two) will be ready when called upon with its 40+ hour runtime.

I have a setup like this. The Infinity has a brand new (never drawn upon) lithium AA which has the (+) terminal papered and taped till needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

- I agree that this would be a great light due to its awesome runtime.

- From what I've read, most people here agree that polishing the reflector area only makes it look crappy and wierd and gives no benefit whatsoever. YMMV...

- Terminal end papered and taped? You mean the you keep the cell wrapped so as to not have any contact with the LED so that it doesn't draw any power? Am I correct?

Does that make a difference at all?

Drjones

Enlightened
I know it may not be exactly what you are asking, but if I knew I was going to be anywhere near the woods, I'd have a HECK of a lot of stuff with me, including a myriad of flashlights and batteries.

Even if I were only going on a dayhike, I'd have ample supplies "just in case."

So getting lost wouldn't really be a huge disaster as I'd be prepared.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The absolute best flashlight to be lost in the woods with is the one you have with you at the time (assuming that it works). Planning ahead for the worst makes anything less than the worst case scenario little more than an inconvience. I have a rather small pouch (about 4" x 6") with a whistle, matches in a waterproof container, a film canister with cotton balls smeared with vaseline (these can be used as lip balm or as fire starters that burn long enough to light even wet kindling), a commercial "metal match", some water purification tablets, a large garbage bag (can be used as an emergency poncho or a shelter), a small basic Silva compass, a knife, a CMG Infinity Ultra (because of the claimed run time of 25 hours), a small wad of TP in a plastic bag, and a very abbreviated, very basic first aid kit. I keep this in the car and just grab it whenever I leave the road. With this and some water (I usually carry a couple of bottles in the car to have something to drink on those long, heavy-traffic commutes that sometimes happen when there is an accident), you can spend an unexpected night in the woods in relative comfort. It won't be like home but you won't be in too bad a shape.

I guess the most important thing to remember is "Failing to prepare is the same as preparing to fail". When it comes to survival, failure is not an option.

Blikbok

Enlightened
StuU: Right on! A CMG Infinty blue-green and Ultra are my constant companions in the woods. No touch, no borrow. I usually get more use out of the PT Aurora.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice LED headlamp for walking, something like the PT Impact for decent throw and long runtime, and an Infinity Ultra for battery changes. In a case like this, I would be backpacking, so I would have the other gear with me.

Drjones

Enlightened
Crash:

Vaseline is flammable?

Cool! I did not know that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, the light my instinct tells me I'd want when lost in the woods is my TurtleLite II loaded with lithium AA's. It's definitely not my brightest light, nor my smallest, but for dark-adapted eyes it would give a nice flood of light and even shine far enough to see some landmark 30 yards away. It'd run a looooonnnnng time, too, not dim terribly much, and would do pretty well in cold weather. The housing is waterproof and just about indestructible.

Runner-up would be the SL ProPoly 4AA 7 LED.

That said, the non-light tips from others here (navigation by stars, listen for familiar sounds like cars, don't panic, ways to keep from walking in circles, etc.) are essential reading! Glad I found this one. Thanks, folks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif