Love Olight magnetic charging. Anyone else doing this with their torches?

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
Most of my lights are modified. However they still come in stock form. Fenix and acebeam make some lights with the proprietary battery pack. I have absolutely no interest in those. You are dependent on the manufacturer for replacement.

Many lights have this USB charging. I would never use that because it's too slow. However a lot of those lights you can use your own battery and take them out and charge them yourself.

We all have preferences. The proprietary battery pack and the USB charging are not any of my preferences.

I'm not a fan of custom batteries either. You have to weigh the desirability of whatever specific performance goal necessitates the specialized battery with replacement cost or even the potential risk of the battery being discontinued at some point. With light innovation progressing as rapidly as it is these days, there will likely be both better and cheaper alternatives by the time either consideration might be of immediate relevance. Regardless, like I said, it's not a concern of any viable relevance for any of the magnetic lights being discussed in this thread, as none require proprietary batteries to achieve peak performance, nor do they require charging inside the light through the magnetic interface. Which, btw, I haven't actually timed it, but the Klarus seems to charge just as fast magnetically as I can charge the 18650 cell in an external charger at 1000mah charging.

As for usb interfaces, I don't like them nearly as much as magnetic usb interfaces. For one, I don't fully trust how water tight they are, especially if such is critical to how well the rubber flap is inserted. I also find the new micro usb fittings annoying that I have to put on reading glasses just to see how to properly insert them (never can tell which is up or down). I only need glasses for reading, so it's not something I always have at hand. That said, to me the appeal of usb and usb magnetic charging is it's increased versatility when away from home, especially if you have a rather large 4+cell charger you don't want to pack.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many lights have this USB charging. I would never use that because it's too slow.

I do not find the USB charging on my PT-16 and PT-18 slow at all, it takes 1.5 hours to charge.

The built in USB chargers are VERY effective.

As for usb interfaces, I don't like them nearly as much as magnetic usb interfaces. For one, I don't fully trust how water tight they are

On the PT series, the USB port is protected by the Oring
34053078164_e241ec9cf6_b.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice and convenient, but I prefer putting the battery on a charger to read the voltage, set the charge rate, and see how much mAh was put into it. But if it's a daily user, like a runner using it every night, then topping it off daily with the in-light charger makes sense.

Latest posts