LS1 Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by nmiller on 8-17-07 HERE.

Suggestions needed!

I have a LS1 head with optic that I'd like to mod. I want to use a spare 1xcr123a twisty and make a tiny floody single level light out of it. This will be my first mod so I want to take my time and do it right. The question is, what will I need?! Here is what I know of.

1.) Shallow reflector
2.) UCL
3.) PCB & LED (XRE or Seoul??)
4.) Retaining ring

Any specifics would be a great help. I'd like to keep a low level of light, similar to the Arc AAAP with a loooong run time. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Nick

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

mahoney08-17-2007 06:33 PM
Re: LS1 Mod?

Two part head with the removeable bezel, or the one part head? The answers are different depending.

The one thing I'll mention, regardless of which head it is, "z-axis" space in an LS is at a premium. The difference in thickness of a UCL compared to a thin polycarbonate lense might be enough to allow a thicker driver board, a little deeper reflector...etc

nmiller08-17-2007 06:58 PMRe: LS1 Mod?

Its the one peice head.

mahoney08-20-2007 04:09 PMRe: LS1 Mod?

In some ways. that head style's an easier mod. You have a few options.

I would go with a drive current around 50-75 ma for a Seoul or Cree if you are serious about the ARC AAAp level of output.

You could try direct driving a Cree from a 123. The level should be about right and all you would need would be a heatsink of the right diameter and the + and - contacts. Runtime will be long, but output will drop as the battery voltage does.

Another option would be to put an Opalec Newbeam in the ARC head. You would need to fabricate a board with + and - contacts but the length and output should be about right. And runtime should be respectable

If you can get an original LS driver board, that will work with a Seoul, Edison, or Lux. You will have to solder on new resistors to get the low drive level.

Or you can build your own LE using an Aleph XR can from the Shoppe and the driver board (0.55" dia. with bottom "battery +" contact) and emitter of your choice. Get your emitter on a star, thinner is better in this case, and fit it to the recess in the top of the XR can. Measure the thickness of your driver board and cut off the XR can bottom so it will just cover the board when it is mounted as close to the bottom of the star as possible. Drill a couple holes for wire access through the star and a hole/slot in the side of the XR can for ground. Also add a couple holes/slots to use to install the XR can in your ARC head. Use Artic Aluminina epoxy to glue the star to the XR can, and after it dries, wire your driver and AA epoxy it in the XR can below the star. You can even go crazy trying to make the LE as thin as possible by milling space for the inductor in the bottom of the star...but you are not as despairate for z-axis space if you are making a floody light.

For a flood type reflector: If you can find one, a polished McFlood is great with the Seoul or the Edison emitters, and OK with a Lux. A McR 19 is great with a Lux, and the McR 19 Flood (especially cut down as far as it will need to be to fit in an ARC) is great with a Cree

Or you can go "mule style" and use a Cree with no reflector. Perhaps make up a spacer from white plastic?

The constraints on the positioning of the board/LE are that the + battery contact needs to be the right distance from the end of the head, and you need to not have your LE or retaining ring at the unthreaded area of the head, for obvious reasons. The distance between your lense and the emitter determines what length is available for the reflector.

nmiller08-21-2007 04:31 AMRe: LS1 Mod?

Something tells me this is going to be complicated. I'm going to have to sit and read over this again when I get home from work. Thanks for the info. If I had to make a choice now, Mule style seems like the winner.

Nick

bombelman08-21-2007 05:36 AMRe: LS1 Mod?

Not an easy mod there. In some ways the 2-part head is easier but in otherways it's not.

Not sure if the Aleph XR would fit in the First Run, but I don't really think it's needed...

You're a bit limited in space but that's what this First Run mod is all about. :laughing:

I modded most of my First Runs too. In fact, it's the first real mod
I ever did to a flashlight. It's what got me started.

More info on these First Run mods in my threads: here, here and here.
Best of luck with your mod and just drop me a line if you need any help at all !!

IMG_9740c_resize.jpg

IMG_9738c_resize.jpg

IMG_9755c_resize.jpg

IMG_5814c_resize.jpg

Cree version:
IMG_7688c_resize.jpg

X_Marine08-21-2007 05:41 AMRe: LS1 Mod?

Good list of options and concerns mahoney.
I was going to tell you to check bombelman's sig for some more info.
But as I scrolled down for a name I see he is on top of it.. lol

Sup George.. :thumbsup:

GL miller, good project.
X..

Status
Not open for further replies.