Luminus Devices/Phatlight SST-50

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
k68sp.jpg
I assume that is a Cree XR-E MCPCB? Why that if you have the Luminus stars? Is this going in one of your smaller lights?:poke:

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster: Thanks. Wasn't easy acquiring select bins.

Only 10% of my order is on hand at the moment. The remainder is supposed to ship any day from the manufacturer. They most likely will go into my smaller lights, not sure at the moment what I am going to do. Need to do some testing first. Will get back over the weekend as I am in the middle of shipping out a run of lights. The SST-50 emitters fit perfectly on an XR-E mcpcb.

ARC mania

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
MEII flashlight specs:

7075 aluminum
2mm thickness SchottB270 double AR coated glass.
Aluminum op reflector.
LED: Luminus Phlatlight LED, SST-50: WJ brightness.
Drive current to LED 1.6 amps
DC/DC boost converter.
Single mode.
Battery: CR123 x 1
Gold plated contact points
Gold plated positive contact
Gold plated spring
HA III olive drab
Anti-roll collar
Silicone o-rings
Serial number
Titanium scalloped bezel
Carrying case included

ARC mania

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
ergotelis: Its probably more than 500 otf lumens. Its a wild guess but will have to say around 600 lumens.

cryhavok: So far compared to the MC-E M bin in brightness the SST-50 with a WJ in brightness, judging from my eye's is roughly 12% brighter at the same drive current. The nice thing about the SST-50 is that it produces a perfect beam due to the single die. You can also pretty much use the same reflector for an MC-E but the SST-50 will need height adjustment deeper into the reflector.

My next step would be to drive it at 3 amps in a larger light that uses 2 x CR123 batteries.

ARC mania

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
IMG_0832.jpg

Received these from work for a project on the go at the moment

Flux bin is the highest available (500 - 600 lm @ 1.75A, or 1200 lm @ 5A) 6500K 70CRI.

I'd be interested to find out how far these can be overdriven..I see people driving MC-E's at 4A. I imagine it has a lot to do with heatsinking.

Thinking about a driver options now.

:)
I don't understand if i read this datasheet ( PhlatLight Binning and Labeling ) the minimum flux is 275 lm, no ?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I looked at the data sheet in some detail before I saw in the fine print - the LEDs are tested and binned at 1.75 amps, but can be run also at 5 amps. As you noticed, at 1.75 amps, the rating is more or less the same as a K2. I guess it starts to get more exciting at 5 amps. :)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I looked at the data sheet in some detail before I saw in the fine print - the LEDs are tested and binned at 1.75 amps, but can be run also at 5 amps. As you noticed, at 1.75 amps, the rating is more or less the same as a K2. I guess it starts to get more exciting at 5 amps. :)

Even @ 3amps they are twice the lumens of a K2TFFC so the potential is there.

Dave

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i would be very excited to see a p60 drop-in for a 1x18650 setup, what kind of output would that make as far as OTF lumens do you suppose? I'm still kinda new but these LEDs have me pretty excited:popcorn:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like Avnet is shipping the SST-50 now, I got my shipment notification today! And Showing In Stock on the website!

Your Avnet Web Order #1xxxxxx Has Shipped
SST-50-W65S-F21-GF100 Luminus Devices
PHLATLIGHT WHITE LED, 1250 LUMENS, CCT 6500K, CRI 70

I can't wait!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
MEII flashlight specs:

7075 aluminum
2mm thickness SchottB270 double AR coated glass.
Aluminum op reflector.
LED: Luminus Phlatlight LED, SST-50: WJ brightness.
Drive current to LED 1.6 amps
DC/DC boost converter.
Single mode.
Battery: CR123 x 1
Gold plated contact points
Gold plated positive contact
Gold plated spring
HA III olive drab
Anti-roll collar
Silicone o-rings
Serial number
Titanium scalloped bezel
Carrying case included

ARC mania

Hi, Could you tell us how large of reflector is needed to usefully deal with this LED package?

Thanks

HarryN

LuxFAN

Newly Enlightened
I was able to get my hands on one of these SST-50's. I took my Pelican 7060 LED and decided to give this retrofit a shot. I found that i needed a couple of mounting points for the star board and that the reflector needed to be shaved down in size. After a small amount of work i was able to fit the SST-50 starboard. I did not do any changes to the original driver circuit. The drive current for this lamp is 1.2A from a single 18650 cell (3.7V, 2200mAh). The Vf of the SST-50 is 3.1V in this case so a total of 3.7W. My next step is to post a beam shot and then retrofit a driver capable of 1.75A.
tMo4E6hP0zcn1w_JVVWnqQ
tMo4E6hP0zcn1w_JVVWnqQ
eO-FyZ_pxdVyAlvb5uh7Mg
yw2M8-OGHlcSwRSPwCdUxA