starf.jpg

SST-50 on a star board.
reflector.jpg

Grind down reflector to fit!
frontmik.jpg

Front of Light with SST-50

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mecry:Not the performance I was hoping for.

EDIT: Well at least it's Lux, not a true measurement like Lumens, so I suppose there are many variables considering a '4 die' and 'single die' LED shined onto a meter.

Last edited:

NetKidz

Enlightened
:mecry:Not the performance I was hoping for.

EDIT: Well at least it's Lux, not a true measurement like Lumens, so I suppose there are many variables considering a '4 die' and 'single die' LED shined onto a meter.

I get the SST-50 from PhotonFanatic (first 3 samples he got). I ran the test quickly, thus it may not be correct.

The LED was mounted on a finned heatsink and actively blowing by a fan. It's powered by a 30V5A bench power supply. Testing was at 0.1A step. Current was read from the power supply but voltage is by a DMM across the LED.

It's tested in a quickly made lightbox, no direct light hitting the light sensor. The box surface isn't very reflective. I didn't have a known output light source to compare the actual lumen output.

But from the datasheet:
SST-50 WH-bin: [email protected]
MC-E K-bin: 370~430@350mA/die (1.4A total)
Testing data of my MC-E @1.4A is 609Lux. SST-50 @1.7A is 596Lux and 1.8A is 622Lux. Assume 1.75A is the average from 1.7A and 1.8A, it's also 609Lux.
I think my MC-E is at the higher range at K-bin but SST-50 is at the bottom of WH-bin. :ohgeez:

LuxFAN

Newly Enlightened
That chart plot does not make sense. The SST-50 has 25% more emitting area than the MC-E, therefore with the same current input it should be brighter. The real data to have would be to list lumens and not lux. Also, you should be able to figure out total power into the led and plot that in regards to the lumens instead of listing the current and voltage separately. To me it seems that the lux curve for the MC-E and the SST-50 are flipped.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone direct driving these off a 18650? Driver boards are getting more expensive to reach over 3amps it seems. I feel an AW IMR 18650 has the potential to maintain a high output but will it overdrive if nothing limits the current?

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW.

I just set up a little bench-test with an AW16340 clipped to an sst-50 (on star board). Wow.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still gathering parts, but hopefully I'll have some beamshots to put up here in a D Mag mod with a full regulated 5A to the emitter via 2 SharkBuck is parallel.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
That chart plot does not make sense. The SST-50 has 25% more emitting area than the MC-E, therefore with the same current input it should be brighter.

Thats not true, really. I mean, its a different die, and a different phosphor. They could easily have far worse quantum efficiency, or extraction efficiency.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone working with this emitter?

I've just had it on my bench (actually kitchen table in the downstairs kitchen) thermal pasted to a left over peice of a cpu heatsink. I've got a high amp driver on order so that's taken care of. I had a (Fraen?) mc-e optic but I wasn't comfortable with how close it sat and didn't fire it up.
For a while I considered fastening it directly to the fork on my bike... it will either be handlebar mounted or helmet mounted, depends on what I figure out for a heat-sink and body.

-L

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
where did you get a high amp driver? i have been looking all over for a 5-7A driver on a P60 sized board, if you find one lemme know! thanks

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if this can be direct driven off a aw imr18650 or a li ion 18650. Would be interested in this set up if it is possible. Thanks

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know if this can be direct driven off a aw imr18650 or a li ion 18650. Would be interested in this set up if it is possible. Thanks

Almost. The Vf of these is pretty low, so a direct driven, perfect connection "standard AW 18650" would be a little hot on the voltage side - most likely taking you beyond the recommended 2C limit. Something like 1/2 - 1 ohm of resistance will fix that.

The IMR of course can handle massive current, and the voltage is lower. I think the IMR 18650 is around 1.8 AH, so assuming it runs, it would last perhaps 15 minutes - which is fine for a small power light. Even 1/10th of an ohm would be handy, and I think give you a lot flatter output. That is probably 3X longer than you can hold it anyway. :laughing:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been direct driving these off of AW Red IMR C cells consistently wtih no apparent problems. AW IMR C cell has been my cell of chose for both SST50 and SST90

They are a bit higher than the VF stated but the current is substantially low. I have yet to burn one.

Dave

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
harry and nailbender thanks for your response. I think I will do a little more research before I attempt a build with these led's