• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSol20 ... quick and dirty preview

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi guys and maybe girls ! :D

Here's a little quick and dirty preview of the now selling LunaSol20 ... or ... to be exact, of the McLuxIII-Ti-LS20.

It is this light:

MCLS2001.jpg

Where the PD-Pack is already an old friend, it is the head that is of interest to us, the LS20 head. Technically, it is the little brother of the LS27. Smaller size, fewer Nichias and a Golden Dragon instead of a Cree.

The functionality is the same, so we can look at the differences asap.

1. Size

The LS20 is a 1" light and is just a tad longer than the Ti-PD, the all-time classic:

MCLS2007.jpg

Meaning it is way more pocketable than the LS27, which is good :D, at least for me.

MCLS2003.jpg

2. Output

The three Nichias are 310DS instead of 310CS like in the LS27, so the low of the LS20 is less than the LS27, but not terribly so. Some pics:

MCLS20beamlow.jpg

Due to the narrow placement of the 3mm Nichias the flood has a somewhat triangular shape and is a bit less wide then the flood of the LS27:

MCLS2008.jpg

Here's the low of the LS20:

MCLS20beamLS20low.jpg

And here the LS27:

MCLS20beamLS27low.jpg

The high beam of the LS20 is a result of the LS20-Reflector riding on an Osram Golden Dragon LED. A look down the throat of the beast:

MCLS2005.jpg

It looks somewhat like the beam of a LuxIII or SSC P4 in a McR-20 ... meaning like the beam of a Ti-PD. However, compared to a Ti-PD it lacks some punch, the hotspot is somewhat smaller and the beam is less perfect than the beam of the Ti-PD.
This means that we get a less powerful high beam than we have with a Ti-PD or LS27.
Pic:

MCLS20beamLS20vsPD-S.jpg

LS20 vs Ti-PD (SSC U-bin at 525mA)

Same set-up, somewhat underexposed:

MCLS20beamLS20vsPD-Sunder.jpg

You can see the small irregularities of the hotspot and the more powerful beam of the Ti-PD.

In the end ... it is a matter of preference and choices. IMHO the small beam irregularities are a non-issue and only the most picky of us white-wall hunters will even notice.
The low flood high throw beam combo in that small package is a real winner IMHO. It overcomes the biggest and only flaw of the LS27 ... size. This one is easily pocketable. It can be where you are. Always. Or almost :D
However, there is a price to pay ... overall output. I think given the power of modern LEDs we can sacrifice a little punch for a big gain in utility, but others might think differently.

A nice touch is the added runtime, but as I can't do runtimes, I can only quote what Don said.

For me personally, this light is the current Grail of small multi-purpose lights. It has everything I want and then some.

Don ... :bow: ... thank you. So much.

bernie

P.S.: for all you rechargeable lovers ... I can pretend to be sorry that this wave doesn't cater to your needs and wants. But I don't. :nana: :devil:

:aaa:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This head is one of the sexiest heads DOn ever made IMHO :D

And yep, I take a little less light to gain the versatility of the LS20, too. Any day.
Isn't it cool that we now can afford ourselves the luxury of accepting LESS light? :)

bk

P.S.: dammit ... 3V rechargeables. The world just isn't fair any more ... :p :D

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie,
Can you compare the length of the L20 to the XR19PD??

could this is the "Pot o Gold" at the end of the Rainbow?:devil:

Where is KENSTER:party:?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thank you, Borat. :laughing:

Really glad to catch this wave. This is a very cool concept, the LunaSol in a smaller package. Bernie, what's the weight? I assume it's slightly more than the PD?

Great stuff, as always, from the McGizMaster. :twothumbs

Yep, my hands tell me "slightly more" than the Ti-PD :D

Unfotunately I do not possess more sophisticated intruments to measure weight.

griff ... it is virtually the same length as the XR19-PD.
The difference is not worth talking about.

bk

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Griff,

I don't have an XR19PD, but here is the dimensions from Don::D

XR19C is 4.0 inches
III T is 3 1/8 inches
Ti PD is 3 1/4
XR19 PD is 3 1/2

Also will the L20 work with Cx2 pack or clickie pack

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The LS20 works with the C-Pack and with the Cx2 Pack ... but what do you want to put in the Cx2 Pack ... looking at the fact that you have a NG converter as daugher board?
bernie

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should ask......Because I have no idea what im talking about :grin2:
I just don't want to burn anything up:sssh:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie,

How easy is it to operate the twisty with the new flute design - easier or harder than an early or last run TiPD-S?

Tks
Hodsta

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a little photochopping last night and the 6 nichia version doesen't look all that bad. I was going to pull the trigger but the overall output is less than I desire, I think Ill save up for the E-series creation..:popcorn: