Lux 3 drop in for Surefire Incandescents

emiya

Newly Enlightened
Hi Flavio, just seen your reply to my mailbox, and this is my first post on CPF. So guys please forgive me of any confusion.

I actually had bought both units. The GP315 which Flavio carries, and exactly same unit shown in illuminum's page that AlphalphaPB mentioned above from a retailer in Japan.

There was a thread on these units in Japan at bon's site as well, some people there seem to think that both units are identical.

However, as far as I can see from the instruction sheet accompanied with the unit mentioned in illuminum's page, the unit doesn't seem to be the same one as Flavio carries, as it reads the unit can only handle 6V, not 9V.

Furthermore, there is a critical difference between those two units. Although some people did get some of the brighter ones of the unknown unit, mine was quite significantly and disappointingly dim (easily outperformed by XM-3) with greenish tint, whereas Flavio's one was brighter and throws much further than my XM-3 with only a hint of blueish tint. Plus, the installation felt smoother and the touch of switch when the unit is installed was softer/lighter with Flavio's.

I have also seen a post on another BBS in Japan that one person bought two of those unknown units from the same retailer but one of them was significantly dimmer than the other. It seems that unknown one has no product QC.

For what I know and I can say at least is, that with the unit mentioned in illuminum's page, you have to play a real lottery both in brightness and tint, whereas Flavio's ones are all checked before shipping so need no worries IMHO, and I am really pleased with what I got from him.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3W LED drop in is much brighter that the KL3 module. It puts out almost twice the light, about half the runtime, and the drop in is a spot with wide surround (bright spot with lots of spill light). The KL3 is a wide spot with very diffused beam pattern(not much of a center spot).