Mac's Custom SST-50 EDC Light w/photos

supasizefries

Enlightened
Hi all, thought I'd share me experience with Mac's new custom SST-50 EDC light. I just got it today in the mail and I must say, I'm really really impressed. The machining and fit and finish are pretty much flawless in my book. I opted for the 5-spd model in bare aluminum. Even with a battery, it's very light in the hand. I find that the switch is easily depressed when using the cigar grip on it. The light is powered by an IMR 16340. Anyway, here are some photos. I also included my beloved Ti D10 as a size and beam comparison since they are similar in size. This thing is bright! :twothumbs

pict9757.jpg

I already got it dusty :crazy:

pict9761.jpg

pict9770.jpg

pict9758.jpg
pict9766.jpg

pict9771.jpg

LEFT: Mac's SST-50 EDC ----------------------------------- RIGHT: JHanko made Ti D10 R2

pict9772.jpg

LEFT: Mac's SST-50 EDC ----------------------------------- RIGHT: JHanko made Ti D10 R2

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Sweet light, makes me wish I had picked one up when I had the chance. Does it get very hot after being left on for a while?

Thanks for sharing, its a beauty.

Barbarian

Enlightened
Looks like a great light. Congrats on the acquisition.

Is your other light's tint that green or is it just the photo?

That 2nd photo shows a great hotspot by Mac's light.

Gaius

Newly Enlightened
Sweet light, makes me wish I had picked one up when I had the chance. Does it get very hot after being left on for a while?

I received mine today. after a while the light gets warm but it is no problem to hold it. It is a nice format for an EDC, this will be a keeper.

supasizefries

Enlightened

On high, the light does get hot pretty quickly. I haven't done any extended run times yet.

Looks like a great light. Congrats on the acquisition.

Is your other light's tint that green or is it just the photo?

That 2nd photo shows a great hotspot by Mac's light.

The picture does not accurately portray the tint of my D10. The tint is a lot more neutral than the sst-50.

I received mine today. after a while the light gets warm but it is no problem to hold it. It is a nice format for an EDC, this will be a keeper.

Yeah, it's definitely a keeper!

Patriot

Flashaholic

Was there a sales thread? I must have missed it? :confused:

EDIT: Never mind......found it :)

Last edited:

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
I wish I had gotten in on this also :shakehead

What I notice about the machining is how there are no sharp edges. Everything is rounded and melted like butter. Very good for something designed to be EDC!!! Nice thoughtful attention to detail, beautiful machining on the tail

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this review and the beamshots! :wave:

I'm happy I got in for the second run, with an IMR cell this will be a bright little pocket-sucker!!! lovecpf

The SST50 is a great emitter for those who like floodier beams and big hotspots.

supasizefries

Enlightened
Nice Torx screws on the D10. Do those fit McGizmos? Where can I get some?

The Torx screws came with the light. You'd have to ask JHanko, the person that made it.

I wish I had gotten in on this also :shakehead

What I notice about the machining is how there are no sharp edges. Everything is rounded and melted like butter. Very good for something designed to be EDC!!! Nice thoughtful attention to detail, beautiful machining on the tail

Yeah the machining is really remarkable. The fit and finish between the head and the body is spot on. Can't wait to get mine back, I miss it. :(