Mag11 vs Mag ROP question.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It would be interesting to try a ROP LOW but all I have is a HI.

It is damn nice on two AW 18650s. It MIGHT be a little brighter on 7AA NimH, but I have no way to compare. Besides, 2C is a lot more fun than 2D!

I have a buddy trying to find some ROP bulbs in Houston.

DrPest

Newly Enlightened
How big is the risk to flash a ROP bulb with 6 AA hot of the charger?

igabo

Enlightened
DrPest said:
How big is the risk to flash a ROP bulb with 6 AA hot of the charger?

From what I hear, there isn't much risk, considering there have been reported instances of using 7 cells. 6 hot cells should be fine.

lexina

Enlightened
bwaites said:
In order of brightness:

Mag 11

Mag 74

ROP

Bill

Hi, Bill

I got my ROP bulbs yesterday and immediately did some comparisons amongst the 3 bulbs. My results were slightly different; in order of increasing brightness and whiteness -

Mag 11 in 2D (6 X Sanyo's 2500mAh AAs)
ROP High in 2C (2 X Aw's 18650s)
Mag 74 in 2D (7 X Sanyo's 2500mAh AAs)

I noticed that you ran the ROP on 6/7 AAs and wonder if this could be the cause of the difference in observation.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I like the Mag11 I got, I think I just want a LOP or MOP reflector though instead of the SMO that I have. Also wish for longer runtime, but 40 minutes is pretty decent considering.

kennyj

Enlightened
I have a few question related to discussion on this thread. How do these bulbs (1111, 1274, ROP) compare when strictly dealing with 2x18650? I'm considering a 2C Mag with two of the new Pila 600Ps (I want protection and the Pilas can apparently handle the amperage) and I already have a KIU socket I can install, to reap the benefits of bi-pin bulbs (though I only see the 1111 at light-edge.com, and their bi-pin 1111 is out of stock.)

Another concern of mine is how these bulbs compare as the batteries drain, and how their runtimes compare. As they approach 6 volts, I'd expect the now-underdriven 1274 to be outdone by the 1111 and ROP, which would actually be at spec on a near-dead set of batteries.

lexina

Enlightened
kennyj said:
I have a few question related to discussion on this thread. How do these bulbs (1111, 1274, ROP) compare when strictly dealing with 2x18650?

Of the 3, my favourite is the 1111 when using 2 X 18650. The 1274 is a 7.2v bulb and will not be as over-driven as the 1111 and the ROP-High, both of which are 6v bulbs. Between the 1111 and the ROP, the ROP has a higher current draw at 4A while the 1111 is rated at 3.35A so theoretically, the ROP should be brighter albeit with a shorter run time (ard 25-30 mins). I have had problem keeping my ROP on for more than a couple of minutes continuous due to the high current draw (but this could be due to my particular cells) and I agree with KevinL that the 18650s are prob more suited for the ROP-Low.

kennyj

Enlightened
lexina said:
Of the 3, my favourite is the 1111 when using 2 X 18650. The 1274 is a 7.2v bulb and will not be as over-driven as the 1111 and the ROP-High, both of which are 6v bulbs. Between the 1111 and the ROP, the ROP has a higher current draw at 4A while the 1111 is rated at 3.35A so theoretically, the ROP should be brighter albeit with a shorter run time (ard 25-30 mins). I have had problem keeping my ROP on for more than a couple of minutes continuous due to the high current draw (but this could be due to my particular cells) and I agree with KevinL that the 18650s are prob more suited for the ROP-Low.

Which batteries are you using?

Also, how bright/white is the 1111 compared to the ROP LO and HO?

While I'm at it... can the 1111 run on protected cells?

lexina

Enlightened
I am using Aw's unprotected 18650s. I have not tried protected 18650s because they won't fit into my 2C unless I do some modification to the switch but I doubt the protected cells will be able to drive any of the "superbulbs".

I believe the 1111 lies midway (or, maybe four-fifths!) between the ROP-L and ROP-H. The 1111 is rated at 880 bulb lumens and approx 570 output lumens at 7.2v. Those are impressive numbers. I don't have the numbers for the ROPs but you could try a search on this forum. Ultimately, I like the 1111 for the balance of whiteness, brightness and run-time.

kennyj

Enlightened
How long can you get it to run for?

I'm wary of the ROP Hi's output from 2x18650 due to voltage sag, but the 1111 might be more realistic...

lexina

Enlightened
the 1111 is rated at 3.35A so if you are using 2200mAh cells, you should be able to run it for approx (2200/3350 X 60 X 0.85) = 33.5 mins (I am using a 15% discount factor to take into account inefficiencies, state of cell etc).

kennyj

Enlightened
Hmm, y'know, AW's protected 18650s can do 4A +- .5A... if only there were a way around the massive startup draw, you could run the WA1111 on such a cell. Until a decent soft-start solution can fit in the Mag C host, though, I think I'll just have to deal with unprotected cells.

How's the beam? I've heard many not-so-nice things about the effect the WA1111's large filament has on both beam smoothness and throw, at least relative to the ROP bulbs and the WA1274. I'm starting to think that it might be a worthy solution to my indecisiveness over whether I should plan on using the ROP Low or ROP Hi, but the bad things I've heard about this bulb make me a little cautious.

I was planning on using a MOP reflector with either of the ROP bulbs for a compromise between smoothness/flood and throw.

kennyj

Enlightened
Bad things about the WA1111, not the ROP bulbs.

The only remotely negative things I've ever heard about the ROPs is that the high-output bulb can't run on any existing protected cells, and even that's only a subjective disadvantage (ie. most people don't care.) It also doesn't fit in modded reflectors with a smaller hole (the low-output ROP does) though the hole needs only be slightly bigger and this can sometimes be accomodated. If you plan on using the high-output bulb when you buy the reflector, and the requisite reflector is available when you do, then it's not even an issue. You can still use standard-dimension reflectors as well without an issue, but I want that extra 5-10% of output lumens. :D

I wouldn't call these serious drawbacks, however, just minor considerations.

Delvance

Enlightened
Ahh gotcha Kennyj! Yeah i guess how it doesn't fit some small opening reflectors can be chalked under disadvantages.

5~10% extra output ? Check out my thread on stock M@glite reflector vs FM2 reflector under "incan" section. I actually got over 20% extra output by changing to a small hole reflector :D

Bob_G

Enlightened
I've heard many not-so-nice things about the effect the WA1111's large filament has on both beam smoothness and throw, at least relative to the ROP bulbs and the WA1274.
I've been getting into hotwires the last few weeks after a year of intensive LED study :) Naturally, I'm sensitive to beam shape and characteristics, more so than maybe pure hotwire guys are. I have three light at ~600L - one each with a 1111, 1274 and 1331. I have 8 reflectors so far, no wait, 9, one just came today. The ONLY solution I've found so far that satisfies me is the M2-LS on the 1111.

The thing with these lights for me is that the power needs to balanced to the beam, and the working distance the user desires. For me, the M2-LS is a perfect compromise between spot size and shape, distance and minimal artifacts.

No, I haven't tried it on the 1274, but the MS on the 1274 has more artifacts and a less round spot than the LS on the 1111, so go figure. I have a couple FM deep reflector ones on order, and you might want to go through that thread in the Group Buy forum. There are some interesting comments on its performance with the ROP (negative.) Just one user, but the relationship between specific bulbs and reflectors is obviously an issue.

On a side note, I've also tried frosting two bulbs, a 1274 (lower half) and a 1331 (full.) The full frosted 1331 in a Mag spec SMO reflector makes a nice beam - tons of spill and sort of center weighted (in other words, floody.) Frosting the 1274 was a disaster - totally killed the spot, I actually thought I goofed and put old batteries in it, but no, any reflector, fresh batteries, and it was terrible.

Conclusion: If you're picky like me, plan on spending money on various reflectors, most of which you won't use, to find the solution that works for you. Don't forget that most of the comments you see are based on that particular user's criteria, which might not coincide with yours at all.

Rando

Enlightened
When you replace the plastic lens cover with the borofloat or UCL lens, do you discard the rubber gasket that came with the original lens? It seems that if the lens and reflector would melt then the gasket wouldn't stand up to the heat either.