Mag85 to the rescue

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I'm a relatively new CPF flashaholic, although I've enjoyed collecting the latest "stock" flashlights for years. Only recently have I learned of the envelope-pushing abilities of flashlight uber-techies.

Anyway, got a Mag85 (or a Mag951-II as Juancho / Black Bear likes to call it) for my first "super light."

Yeah, it's really, really bright. Blindingly bright... It shines nicely on ceilings and on walls, but I had a chance on Christmas Eve to use it like it deserves to be used.

I was coming back to my girlfriend's place in the "not always such a nice part of town" when I noticed four guys running away from a house, hiding behind bushes and running through people's front yards. Now, it's 11:00pm and the thing that really caught my attention was the guy carrying the one-gallon can of gasoline.

I took a second run around the block and saw many more people converging on a house near where the four guys had been running away from earlier. I pulled into my gf's driveway and she stuck her head out of the door and told me she just confonted a man trying to climb over her 4' fence on the side of the house.

I grabbed the Mag951 and called 9-1-1 on my cell phone. I walked two houses down and stood behind a large tree and reported what happened and described what had now turned into some sort of melee. About a dozen men and boys were in front of a house, with three sets of people fighting and several more throwing snow or ice balls at the front of the house in an apparent effort to break the windows (cops later tell me this was a suspected crack house).

The 9-1-1 dispatcher said the cops were in the area when a neighbor came out and told the thugs to get the hell out of there. Some of the thugs began hurling rude comments like "F-you ni**er" and so forth at the guy.

From two-thirds of a block away (probably 50-60 yards), I turned the light on the crowd. The group parted like the friggin' Red Sea as the thugs began to scatter like roaches in the light.

Two came walking my way but a direct facial blast from 40 yards changed their course dramatically as they opted to go the other way.

Of course, the cops show up 30 seconds later and all is well.

Yes, this is a non-lethal weapon. Of course, one should never use a non-lethal weapon without a real weapon as backup.

AKA "Don't take a flashlight to a gunfight."

After having this light for three weeks or so, I can't imagine going back to my UltraStinger anytime soon.

John

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on a successful deployment. Stay safe out there.

Wilkey

bexteck

Enlightened
Nice work, I've used my Mag85 and X990 in similar situations at my college. The residence area I live in is made up of small single story apartments in about 40 individual buildings. Drunken disputes are quite common late at night and sometimes end up ending up as brawls where people get hurt. Whenever I hear people shouting and fighting nearby, I grab one of my bright lights and illuminate the area. This makes them think that the campus police have arrived and they quickly leave the area. If it looks like they will continue to fight or cause problems, then I call the campus police and ask them to do a drive by.

Always nice to think that you've helped to put a stop to a bad situation.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting experience with your Mag85|Mag951-II there Templar223. Don't let that illuminator get away from you! Enjoy!

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what was it all about? crack deal gone bad? was the guy going to burn the house down?

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
The cop said, and I quote, "Someone was fixin' to get their *** kicked at that crack house over there."

That didn't make the GF feel too good.

"If they know it's a crack house, why don't they raid it?" was her question to me when they left.

I'm thinking of loaning her a shotgun or wheel gun for home defense. She was most shaken up by the guy who laughed at her when she confronted him while he was halfway over her 4' fence. "What if he'd been coming through my back door?" she asked.

And yes, referring to a PM I got, it was a "Mag 951" product purchased from Juancho.

John

DigMe

Enlightened
I once spotted some kids who were running down the street knocking over trash cans in my neighborhood with my Mag951. Distance was about 100 yards. The reaction was funny.

brad cook