Maglite 2D powered by nimh and spacers/adapters/etc….

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some help. I have a maglite 2D and bought some spacers from Matt (Lumencraft, vestureofblood, awesome guy on the forum) anyway, I can't get my light to run with them and nimh AA cells. Do I need to modify the spring or use a slug of some kind at the bottom of the battery that goes against the spring of the light? I can short out the spring against the body of the light and it works but when it is screwed together somehow the circuit isn't made. Any help is appreciated, I usually don't have problems making a light work.

hsa

Enlightened
I can't figure out what you are doing with the spacers. Don't you just need AA to D adapters?
I run AA to C adapters in a 3C maglite and the spring easily makes contact. I'm using Eneloop adapters, the negative end is open.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My guess is he means adapters when using the word spacers.

I wonder if the spring is not making contact with the negative end of the AA size battery. Try placing a little foil across the spring to make sure it makes contact with the battery.
DB451A75-6A14-4330-9554-E01FCB82B651.jpeg

If that is the case bend the last coil to a right angle to go across the negative end.

hsa

Enlightened
You are right. The spring on my C mag has that right angle bend which makes contact and the AA battery will go right down through the middle of a D mag gorilla spring, no contact.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you need a slug, stock spring is wider at the bottom than AA cell, try to put a coin between cells and a spring.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wrapped the whole bottom (negative end) with aluminum foil. I had bent the spring to where it ran directly over the negative end of the battery and it still didn't work which had me puzzled to no end. I'm assuming when I tightened the tail cap the spring shifted and quit making contact. I mean I've wrapped entire drop ins with aluminum foil so I don't know why I didn't just try that. Brain fart I guess.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you need a slug, stock spring is wider at the bottom than AA cell, try to put a coin between cells and a spring.
I believe Matt offers Al adapters (cap) that fit on end spring coil.. If you know someone or have access to small hobby lathe, easy to make. Copper would be my choice of metal..