Maglite 6C/D , / 7C/D , how many people still love these lights????

darkknightlight

Enlightened
You can't run a 3854H for two hours nonstop on 6AA or two 18650. That's the huge difference when running six full-sized D batteries in a 6D light.

I understand that, and I did not mean to claim otherwise; I apologize if I was vague. I was more saying that as a response to the 10 minute deformation comment. I've run the 3854H for 18ish minutes straight without any damage to the light. For me, that is a plus in a 6D light; after 18 minutes I don't have to recharge my batteries, just let the light rest for a few minutes.

The bulbs that I would consider running for a long period of time in a 6D require a bipin socket like the KIU, and therefore would minimize the heat deformation dangers. Again, I was merely suggesting the 3854H as a place to start. I apologize if my suggestion led to a damaged bulb tower!

Jimson

Newly Enlightened
ETA: I can still get 6C's if anyone wants one (or 2)...I will check next time I am in the store if they are C's in the serial number or not...they are in a shop thats not on the internet...

Raoul, I'm a wannabe flashlight collector, and I don't have a 6C Maglite. Though I doubt if I can afford to buy (and ship) one from the old country, I've got to ask about what the cost would be anyhow.
:)

stienke

Enlightened
Raoul, I'm a wannabe flashlight collector, and I don't have a 6C Maglite. Though I doubt if I can afford to buy (and ship) one from the old country, I've got to ask about what the cost would be anyhow.
:)

There is one for sale on CPFMarketplace:whistle:

david57strat

Enlightened
I've never owned a C-cell incandescent Maglite, but I've had plenty of D-cell models (from 2 to 6 cells, in varying colors). I was a huge Maglite fan, for many years. Over the years, with the acquisition of different lights, I've given away most of my old Mags, but have kept my old 6D, which I've had since about 2004. I just upgraded to a TerraLUX 1000-lumen drop-in, which makes the light actually useful again (for high output), although I had to sacrifice the focusing feature. Not a worry, since I have numerous other, floody lights. Up until upgrading the light, it was fairly useless, with the advent of the smaller, more efficient, more powerful lights, that are far more EDC-friendly.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the new module in the 6D, and am wanting to replace the old funky plastic lens with a glass one. I've heard great things about Borafloat. Any suggestions as to the strongest/best quality glass lens for the 6D, and where to get it? Also, I'm not sure what the best battery configuration would be (I really prefer using rechargeables), for best run time and highest output. I'm not really sure what the rated operating voltage of the TerraLUX upgrade is, though. The idea of replacing D cells all the time is very unappealing to me - and it would be nice to take some of the weight off of the light, by using different batteries.

119_1939.jpg

the D collection, years ago...

101_3523.jpg

6D light, after TerraLUX 1000-lumen drop-in upgrade

Last edited:

stienke

Enlightened
I've never owned a C-cell incandescent Maglite, but I've had plenty of D-cell models (from 2 to 6 cells, in varying colors). I was a huge Maglite fan, for many years. Over the years, with the acquisition of different lights, I've given away most of my old Mags, but have kept my old 6D, which I've had since about 2004. I just upgraded to a TerraLUX 1000-lumen drop-in, which makes the light actually useful again (for high output), although I had to sacrifice the focusing feature. Not a worry, since I have numerous other, floody lights. Up until upgrading the light, it was fairly useless, with the advent of the smaller, more efficient, more powerful lights, that are far more EDC-friendly.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the new module in the 6D, and am wanting to replace the old funky plastic lens with a glass one. I've heard great things about Borafloat. Any suggestions as to the strongest/best quality glass lens for the 6D, and where to get it? Also, I'm not sure what the best battery configuration would be (I really prefer using rechargeables), for best run time and highest output. I'm not really sure what the rated operating voltage of the TerraLUX upgrade is, though. The idea of replacing D cells all the time is very unappealing to me - and it would be nice to take some of the weight off of the light, by using different batteries.

119_1939.jpg

the D collection, years ago...

101_3523.jpg

6D light, after TerraLUX 1000-lumen drop-in upgrade

Look here:http://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=mag_C_D

GJR:wave:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have never had a Maglite D-size, only 2xAA and a Solitaire.
A little more than 3 years ago I found CPF when I planned getting a Mag 2D or 3D.
I bought a Fenix TK20 instead and after that many more lights with 1, 2 , 3 or 4 cells, AA, AAA, CR123 and 17670/18650.

So, now again I'm thinking about getting a Maglite D-cell.
But what size?
I have small lights, bright lights, long running lights so this Maglite is more beacause it's sort of classic and that I want something with some heft to keep close to the bed or frontdoor. So a little length on the flashlight but not huge.

I'm thinking about 4D or maybe 5D.
How do you that use (or have used) these lights think they are in the hand?
Is the 5D more "backheavy" than the 4D? Or does the 5D have that little extra length and weight that you want?

I will not carry thislight for long and don't have to put it in the pocket so size and weight doesn't matter for that.
And the battery configuration doesn't matter either for brightness or runtime.
I might put in some LED dropin but no other mod is planned.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Borofloat is a high temperature glass like Pyrex. However, it doesn't transmit light as well as UCL glass. Since you're running an LED setup, you don't need extreme temperature resistance. So I would go with a UCL lens rather than Borofloat. Lenses can be purchased at flashlightlens.com. As for the batteries, I would go with a true NiMH D battery such as the Tenergy Centura. They are fairly inexpensive and have the ability to deliver high current.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually never seen a 7C or 7D in person. (I didn't even know there was 7C's). That would be a cool light to have though, I imagine a 6 cell krypton bulb would run really nice in one.

UCL's are so delicate, I wouldn't use them for anything, not even a shelf queen. Prefer hardened mineral glass or Borofloat/Pyrex myself.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
This thread just made me finally pull the trigger on a 6D Maglite. I've really always wanted one and am not sure why I haven't purchased until now. I have a 4D sitting with a Malkoff XPG dropin but MIGHT swap that over to the 6D OR I may order a XPG2 from malkoff. Not sure yet!

stienke

Enlightened
I have bought several Malite's the last half year , the 'big'ones are very hard to come by , I think it's a matter of time and these are gone. I have a lot of lights from 2C/D to 6C/D and keep them stored in my house , I can buy a 7C and I'm looking for a 7D so I have almost completed my old Mag collecting!

dandism

Enlightened
Where can you get 7c?
I have bought several Malite's the last half year , the 'big'ones are very hard to come by , I think it's a matter of time and these are gone. I have a lot of lights from 2C/D to 6C/D and keep them stored in my house , I can buy a 7C and I'm looking for a 7D so I have almost completed my old Mag collecting!

stienke

Enlightened
Where can you get 7c?

There is a guy who has sold 7C's here on the forum , but the shippingcosts are too high for this light , so if my brother travels to the States in september he can deal in person with him, and I save on shipping , I think he's putting more 7C's for sale in the future , keep an eye on the WTS section.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the 7D the biggest flashlight maglite produced?
Anyone knows some specs?

I'd like to have one but they are so rare especially here in italy..

fastbarry

Newly Enlightened
I live in New Zealand where maglites and most other things cost more than in the good old USA. I have been purchasing off Ebay and very recently took delivery of a used non functioning 7D. It was listed as such and that the interior had white powder inside. I took a chance and got it for a bargain price. The exterior had a few marks but was pretty good. The light was dirty around the lens and o rings. The bulb was chinese and blown. The interior has a few pits at the head end from battery leakage. I stripped it down and cleaned it out. I put the spare bulb from my 6D in it last night and filled it with batteries. The switch works well and it was quite bright. Almost on par with my magcharger which is quite pleasing. It will never be used a lot as feeding it batteries is too expensive.
Damn it is an impressive sight. I love it to bits and will hang onto it for a good few years.
Other lights I have are 6 C/D, 5C, 4D, 3C/D, 2C/D, Magtac 320L, Pro +, heaps of 2AA, some 2AAA and a few solitaires in odd colors that cannot be got on other lights.
I think the 2 Magchargers I have are fantastic and prefer the single mode switch one.