Maglite 6D Best Mods - LED conversion and Bezel etc..

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Floppy,
I like the idea of the XM-L dropin but do not want to sacrifice the runtime by using 2 dummy cells. The other option you just gave is pretty far over my head. I am such an amateur with this stuff. Does that require some serious soldering and rewiring?

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I can make you a semi dropin, but you'd have to modify the switch. Or, you could send it to me, or find somebody else you'd want to do it. Somebody around here had a true dropin with proper heatsinking I remember from a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

Found it, mac's customs, but he's currently awol, apparently the website is down and he's trying to catch up on orders. :(

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other option you just gave is pretty far over my head. I am such an amateur with this stuff. Does that require some serious soldering and rewiring?

No, I initially did it with aluminum foil and masking tape. The only problem was taking it out every time meant having to rebuild the battery pack each time so at the moment I have used insulated speaker wire riveted (well stapled) to some washers. I was going to get some magnets to solder the wires to instead but haven't done that yet.

With this set up, you'll get a lot of runtime even from alkaline batteries, but it is really really heavy.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I would give an update. I decided to go with the Malkoff Cree XP-G2 drop in. I cut the stock bezel and dropped it in. Seems to work well and lights things up a lot better than previous. I also got the xcape talon bezel.

Now my next challenge is the nifty glow ring. I purchased 1/4 ounce of V10 green glowinc. and I originally bought a small silicone hollow rubber tube. I do not know the mm size of it but when I cut it and tested, it created a large gap between the bezel and the base. It would not screw all the way down presumably because the tube is too large. Now I cant even get the bezel to start to screw down further indicating the tube is too large. Thought it would work but apparently it wont. I ordered the 2mm hollow rubber tubing by Beadsmith used for jewelry making and hopefully that will work better. Waiting for it in the mail!