maglite rop question

Tiredlumens

Newly Enlightened
hey guys i am new to this forum so i figured that i would start by asking about a maglite ROP mod. first off i know that using alkaline batts with the pelican 3854 bulb will cause the power drop, but i am on a budget so i wont be able to buy enoloops and a charger. so the first question is how bad will they lag using alkaline batts? and will uing a 6 d cell mag would the larger capacity batts help or not? i alredy have a aluminum reflector and glass lens so im good there. one more question is if i were to build this on a 2 d mag platform (i prefer this) will the BatteryJunction 3aa to d adapters handle the pelican bulb or not, im asking this because i cant find a fivemega adapter and it would be too much money for that, a charger, and batts thats y im asking. i know this a noob question but i am just not sure myself. if worst comes to worst i'll just get a 6 cell mag-num starr ii xenon bulb if i have to. please respond

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
6D's would work a lot better than 6AA's for sure.

If you're using cheap AA's it's going to be quite disappointing, I think. I can't imagine they'd hold up for long.

As for the battery carriers, I don't know. I've never used them. My ROP's were always Li-Ion driven :devil:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
BJ holders look like they made better than most, normaly all such holders perform poorly above 1A, but i did not try these personaly. they may not be that bad, but i would not use them for rop ho mod, they might do ok for rop lo mod.

Tiredlumens

Newly Enlightened
6D's would work a lot better than 6AA's for sure.

If you're using cheap AA's it's going to be quite disappointing, I think. I can't imagine they'd hold up for long.

As for the battery carriers, I don't know. I've never used them. My ROP's were always Li-Ion driven :devil:
Do you use 18650s? If you do how do you make an adapter for them? I would like to use li-ion but I have never used them for anything

Tiredlumens

Newly Enlightened
BJ holders look like they made better than most, normaly all such holders perform poorly above 1A, but i did not try these personaly. they may not be that bad, but i would not use them for rop ho mod, they might do ok for rop lo mod.
Do you have any links to a company that makes better 6aa to 2d adapters like fivemega's?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 5 cell bulb for a bit whiter light. You may want to post a WTB in the custom and modified BST for a 6AA -2D adapter, there are a lot of them out there.