Maglite Tailcap Stuck

NewsWire

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post... :wave:

I have an old non C serial number 3C maglite.

The batteries have leaked and got into the tailcap threads and now the tailcap won't budge.

Any ideas how to get the tailcap off. I have wrapped the tailcap in rubber bands to increase grip, chilled the tailcap, heated the body with a gas stove. applied wd-40. Nothing works.

Help...

I can't remove the tailcap from my Mag® flashlight. I have even put pliers on it and tried to twist it off, but it's absolutely frozen or stuck. Is this problem covered by my warranty?

When you cannot remove the tailcap to change the batteries, it almost certainly indicates that the batteries have leaked and sealed everything inside the flashlight. Unfortunately, Mag does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. If one of these brands of batteries has leaked in your flashlight, send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace it at no charge to you. We recommend that you ship the flashlight UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes.

Please send to; Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769.

You pay the freight to us and we pay it going back. Please also include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of the problem. Don't forget to indicate what brand of battery is inside if you know. Once we verify it is Duracell, Eveready or Ray-O-Vac, we will send you a new flashlight at no charge. Occasionally we open the flashlight and we find it contains leaking batteries that are not Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. In cases of "off-brand" battery leakage, we can replace your flashlight for a charge of -- $12.00 plus your state's sales tax for a 'C' or 'D' Mag-Lite® flashlight, or $8.00 plus tax for a Mini-Maglite® flashlight. If you are not sure, send the flashlight to us, with the batteries inside, and we will check to determine the brand. If we find that they are "off-brand" batteries, we will contact you and arrange for payment before sending you the replacement flashlight

ruf997tt

Newly Enlightened
Wow, how fortuitous for me this evening. I just found one of my Mini-Mag's tucked away in the back of a drawer sealed up tighter than a drum. Here I am searching for a solution and stumbled across this warranty message from NewsWire. For $8++ I think I'll send it off for replacement.

uv-jim

Newly Enlightened
I had such a similar incident with an old 2-D Mag-Lite. I had emailed Mag-lite explaining I had a frozen tail cap. They gave me their address and I sent it off. It came back fairly quick with a new body and tail cap for no charge, save for the cost of shipping it to them. I just opened that same flashlight a few minutes ago and something leaked onto my hand from it. Jeez, you might think I might have learned?

I just received a ProPolymax 4AA in the mail yesterday. So far it is pleasing except for the battery rattle. I plan on feeding it a diet of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I have pair of Jr. Luxeon flashlights I have been using for years with Eneloop AAs.

If I can salvage the Mag-Lite, I am going to see if I can find an upgrade path for it. The original incandescent is mighty weak compared to just about everything.

My 1st posting here, seems the editor likes eating every fourth letter.

Jim

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had such a similar incident with an old 2-D Mag-Lite. I had emailed Mag-lite explaining I had a frozen tail cap. They gave me their address and I sent it off. It came back fairly quick with a new body and tail cap for no charge, save for the cost of shipping it to them. I just opened that same flashlight a few minutes ago and something leaked onto my hand from it. Jeez, you might think I might have learned?

I just received a ProPolymax 4AA in the mail yesterday. So far it is pleasing except for the battery rattle. I plan on feeding it a diet of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I have pair of Jr. Luxeon flashlights I have been using for years with Eneloop AAs.

If I can salvage the Mag-Lite, I am going to see if I can find an upgrade path for it. The original incandescent is mighty weak compared to just about everything.

My 1st posting here, seems the editor likes eating every fourth letter.

Jim

I find that the Dorcy drop-in LED bulbs are a cheap and effective way to upgrade Maglites. There are much better upgrades, but they all cost as much as a new light...

--flatline

Last edited: