Maglite - worth it?????

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenled said:
Absolutely! I recommend the 4D maglite. I've had the same 4D maglite for over 10 years now. High light output, ability to focus, size just-about-right, decent battery life, and waterproof! I had my light fall off the back of my pick-up and into a deep pothole full of water. I did not realize I had lost the light until a couple of hours later. I didn't even dry it before using again! Still runs like a charm.
Migs

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at first initially surprised by the light output of my 6D mag. I then put a KPR112 into the 6D and it runs really bright, then as alkaline voltage drops, so does brightness. It just sits in the corner of my parent's bedroom waititng to be used as a 19 and a 1/2 inch steel pipe.

Waterproof? Maybe not. Waterproof in my opinion has to be deeper than a pothole. Pressure increases as depth increases. I took my 6D down to the bottom of a 12 foot pool and the light was drenched inside. For normal use in a light rain shower should be fine. I would use dive lights if I needed a light to take with me that would see depths greater than 5 feet, or Ziploc bag them then store them in a Pelican micro case. A Pelican case will be huge if they needed to hold a 3D/4D mag. I'll stick with a Pelican Micro case 1060 series.

I now have a 2C Mag in my stable with a Orange Peel PMR, KPR 112, and run 3 X CR123 in it. I have not compared it to my 6D, but this light trounces the 2D and 3D mags on campus (had blackouts a few times in the past few months.) Anything brighter than my SF E2e is overkill in a blackout. I got along fine with my Rayovac headlamp and Ultra G/Arc AAA combo. For times when serious lighting was needed My Tigerlight came out.

This is all IMHO though.

I guess a Mag will meet most people's needs, I have just been spoiled by the finer lights in life. Having a light that will sit in the palm of you're hand (SL Scorpion and Pelican M6 Lithium) beat out a Maglite 3D stock is just plain unbelievable by a lot of my fellow co workers/ undergrads.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
All you say is quite true Jason.

Let me just say this. Yes, a 2x123A light: example PM6, LegendLX, MaxfireLX, G2 are better overall lights
. Smaller, as bright or often MUCH brighter than any stock M*g. ETC.

BUT! I have all these different 3D lights hanging around.
C or D batteries are as cheap in quantities up to 12 as 2 CR123A are at the best price I can find locally. SURE it's better to order from Surefire or Battery Staion. But I can't.

So a 3D M*g (or other brand of light) with 4C and lense treatment is a decent poor mans bright light.

I have some scorching bright 3 and 4x123 lights. But I USE the cheaper to run stuff!!!

Latest posts