Malaysian Ghost Plane

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did hear the pings on multiple occasions so it is down there, just a matter of patient searching.

They did warn it would take many months, most likely to find it. Sound underwater does funny things depending on a whole host of factors.

I'm pretty much in agreements with experts on this that it will be found, that is the majority opinion.

The important facts are, the pings are not from whales or man made equipment and it is the ping from the device at the right frequency. It was detected and recorded on multiple occasions. The location of the pings also coincided with the final signal to the satellite where communication ended with an incomplete exchange.

It still isn't 100% certain, finding it but I think close to it, just a matter of time and money to find it and they seem committed to finding it.

I hope so. :(

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will never be found I believe. A mystery indeed...

I am still in believing it is on the ground but if it is in the water enough money has been spent now and the search should be halted as this is costing mega millions to carry on.The money saved could be feeding dying starving children all over the world.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still in believing it is on the ground but if it is in the water enough money has been spent now and the search should be halted as this is costing mega millions to carry on.The money saved could be feeding dying starving children all over the world.

Too much money has been used alright. But if the search is stopped people in Malaysia will be angry with the government. Not to mention the damage to relationship with China.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too much money has been used alright. But if the search is stopped people in Malaysia will be angry with the government. Not to mention the damage to relationship with China.

In my younger days i was a member of the RNLI (UK Lifeboats),one summer we were searching for a man overboard,the search consisted of many civilian boats,Air Sea Rescue Helicopters from the Raf and numerous local ish lifeboats.We searched for hours and hours but at a certain point came a major decision to give it up.A body was washed up in the Fleetwood area as predicted a couple of weeks later.As cruel as it seems to stop searching someone has to say enough is enough.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened

If your entire family were on the plane you might feel differently, not to mention there are other more objective needs to be met. The legal liabilities alone would justify finding the aircraft.

I think too, they would have given up by now if they only had most of the Indian Ocean to search, it would be too big an area to be realistic to search.

They have an excellent chance of finding it and I don't think that the cost is prohibitive. Boeing would like to find it, the Chinese government badly want to find it, the Malaysians kind of want to find it and us Australians coordinate the effort as it is our S&R area.

It is also psychologically important for air travellers and for the industry, not to mention the families involved to get this thing solved.

Obviously in 12 months once they've completed the search, if they find nothing, then it is time to quit. I'm pretty sure they'll find it though.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
This is so mind boggling! Let us hope and pray they find it.

+1

I should add too that you can be sure that any mapping data of the sea floor will be made use of, as this area is unmapped so at the least they will end up with detailed mapping of the underwater terrain which can be used for scientific purposes as well.

What does **** me off are the plethora of bullshit theories that abound, gullible minds to believe them and media outlets hyping up misinformation to sell their products. So called experts get involved and find publicity and money by proposing alternative theories which give them media exposure. I can only guess what it must be like to have family missing while this long and painstaking search goes on.

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I should add too that you can be sure that any mapping data of the sea floor will be made use of, as this area is unmapped so at the least they will end up with detailed mapping of the underwater terrain which can be used for scientific purposes as well.

What does **** me off are the plethora of bullshit theories that abound, gullible minds to believe them and media outlets hyping up misinformation to sell their products. So called experts get involved and find publicity and money by proposing alternative theories which give them media exposure. I can only guess what it must be like to have family missing while this long and painstaking search goes on.

I know what you mean. It is really sad. :(

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

If money should be pulled from such an important event like finding a crashed Boeing 777-200ER(which may contain valuable information to help prevent crashes like that from happening again) to feed starving children then, according to that logic, all of us on CPF should sell our flashlights and use all that money to feed starving children in 3rd world countries. End of this hobby and also the end of this forum...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your entire family were on the plane you might feel differently, not to mention there are other more objective needs to be met. The legal liabilities alone would justify finding the aircraft.

I think too, they would have given up by now if they only had most of the Indian Ocean to search, it would be too big an area to be realistic to search.

They have an excellent chance of finding it and I don't think that the cost is prohibitive. Boeing would like to find it, the Chinese government badly want to find it, the Malaysians kind of want to find it and us Australians coordinate the effort as it is our S&R area.

It is also psychologically important for air travellers and for the industry, not to mention the families involved to get this thing solved.

Obviously in 12 months once they've completed the search, if they find nothing, then it is time to quit. I'm pretty sure they'll find it though.

My opinion differs and it is now a complete waste of money searching imo.

If money should be pulled from such an important event like finding a crashed Boeing 777-200ER(which may contain valuable information to help prevent crashes like that from happening again) to feed starving children then, according to that logic, all of us on CPF should sell our flashlights and use all that money to feed starving children in 3rd world countries. End of this hobby and also the end of this forum...

It all very well finding it but then spending mega millions getting it to the surface.Sorry imo enough is enough.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion differs and it is now a complete waste of money searching imo.

It all very well finding it but then spending mega millions getting it to the surface.Sorry imo enough is enough.

That's fantastic you have such a strong opinion, but will you give up your very expensive flashlight hobby for 1 year and donate the proceeds to charity??? You cannot justify your hobby as more important than a search for a crashed plane right? Change has to start with yourself rather than others, so whats it gonna be hombre?? Spending thousands on your hobbies/going out on weekends, when the money spent could feed starving children in your country, gosh ... enough is enough!

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Enough, no more responding to mcnair55's posts. It just takes the thread off track. Ncnair55, you have made your point over and over again and it is agitating fellow posters, and disrupting this thread. Go to another thread, and leave this one.

Bill

Norm

Retired Administrator
Your argument is spurious Gav. the majority of members do not spend large sums of money each year on torches, most people have at least one or two hobbies, that does not mean they do not donate to charity.

As Bill added during my post, back on topic.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever norm... the point is not how much we individually spend on hobbies, but the logic of his argument to support his opinion. Its always easier to critic when its someone else's loss on the line isn't it?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bloomberg is reporting the Bluefin 21 is leaving the search area tomorrow. The sea floor is being mapped by a Chinese vessel and once a good map of the ocean floor is made the search will resume (possibly by a private contractor).

(Edit: A new search should begin sometime in August 2014. The ATSB has further refined the Inmarsat data and predicts the plane crashed near the "seventh arc" in the Indian Ocean.) (June 7, 2014)

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Still nothing. Last I heard they were on Pause as they may have to shift the search area again. Big surprise there!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The dude on the oil rig who claimed to see a fiery orange light in the sky was fired. The families thanked searchers but omitted Malaysia, and are doing an Indiegogo project to raise $5 million dollars to offer as a reward for information/whistleblowing. A Chinese ship is doing extensive sea floor mapping that will require several months. Inmarsat and the Malaysian govenment released all the raw satellite data, which conclusively proves the southern track of the arc is correct.